C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Nice to hear there is more potential in Norway! but i wouldn't overreact because of an 9 year old kid whose opponents most of the time are trying to not fall on the ice.
My brother also dominated his team and had no problems to skate around 4 defensemen, a year later he quit. At this age, you even HAVE to dominate your team/league to see your future in hockey. Then you have to progress and dominate also with the age of 12. Then you have to learn the more physical play and if you can hold your level, things are possible.

There are also soccer videos of him on youtube, that doesn't mean he's an allround superstar but he has active parents who want to hear their name in the media I guess.

btw Switzerland also has its own Crosby :D

Kevin Fiala, 1996
remember that name!

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Nice to hear there is more potential in Norway! but i wouldn't overreact because of an 9 year old kid whose opponents most of the time are trying to not fall on the ice.
My brother also dominated his team and had no problems to skate around 4 defensemen, a year later he quit. At this age, you even HAVE to dominate your team/league to see your future in hockey. Then you have to progress and dominate also with the age of 12. Then you have to learn the more physical play and if you can hold your level, things are possible.

There are also soccer videos of him on youtube, that doesn't mean he's an allround superstar but he has active parents who want to hear their name in the media I guess.

Kevin Fiala, 1996
remember that name!

Fiala is a Czech/Slovak surname, so I suppose he is the son of this guy, who also played for the same team long years back?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Stickhandling etc. is repetition, repetition, repetition but it is still impressive what these kids can do. The Pettersen kid has something that shows that he might have well developed hockey sense though... His anticipation and stopping to fool opposing players looks just amazing.. But ALOT can happen in just a couple of years.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Over 50% of players in the NHL are Canadian, is it unfair for me to think our hockey may be a little better over here than in Norway? :dunno:

Not at all, it is. But it's absurd, or at least totally opposed to Scandinavian sports culture, to emphasise competetive situations at the age of 9. We don't do that with anyone, not in any sport. At that age, kids should focus on the fun and on learning basic skills.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Fiala is a Czech/Slovak surname, so I suppose he is the son of this guy, who also played for the same team long years back?

Your'e right, his grandparents were from czech republic, but his father is Jan Fiala, also a former swiss national league player.
it's funny that the other fiala also played for Uzwil, maybe it's his uncle :D

here's a media report about him in german: http://www.ehcuzwil.ch/files/peewee09_fiala.pdf

NHL-Scout Thomas Roost mentioned him as one of the big hopes for Switzerland's future as he was talking about Niederreiter, Josi and Alain Berger.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Your'e right, his grandparents were from czech republic, but his father is Jan Fiala, also a former swiss national league player.
it's funny that the other fiala also played for Uzwil, maybe it's his uncle :D

here's a media report about him in german: http://www.ehcuzwil.ch/files/peewee09_fiala.pdf

NHL-Scout Thomas Roost mentioned him as one of the big hopes for Switzerland's future as he was talking about Niederreiter, Josi and Alain Berger.

Thanks for the info and the article, good thing I speak fluent German.:)

But, it can be really funny with names, like this guy, who also played at the pee wee in Quebec this year:
Radovan Bondra (1997), happens to be a very distant relative to one Peter Bondra
http://www.szlh.sk/statistiky/c-090008_l-267/i-action!61player!95splits!38B!6130172
http://www.szlh.sk/statistiky/c-090009_l-268/i-action!61player!95splits!38B!6130172
http://www.webhokej24.sk/index.php?...e-a-nepekulova&catid=140:rozhovory&Itemid=321

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009

I love how he dekes through 6 players and his teammate who got the final pass misses the puck or the empty net :D

this guy has definitely some potential, unreal stickhandling for this age. but you never know, with an injury and 2 years without hockey everything can change...

Last edited:

Default101

Kevin Fiala, 1996
remember that name!

It's interesting someone finally mentions that. Look at the user name on most of those video's. It's a parent posting their young 6-9 y/o kid on youtube.

I think it's an inbetween on this Canada/Norway comparison, some people are just getting too personal with this..

In Canada he would probably be playing up a couple levels like he is in Norway, and he'd be one of the better young players here, he'd likely be dominanting.. maybe not like this but still would be pretty dominant. In Canada he could get lost in the mix with the other dominant kids in his age range, but due to Norway not having as many great dominant kids coming up through the ranks, this kid is going to get highlighted.

Just like if a very talented 9 year old in soccer (football) moved from England to Canada. He would have been one of the more dominant in his age range in the country, but in Canada it would be as amazing as this Norwegian kid is at hockey there.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
This kids moves look exaclty like the ones of a certain Pavel Datsyuk, I mean really the resemblance is there.

It'll work out well if Datsyuk retires at 40 and Wings have the 1st overall pick in 2018 :)

Btw, are the other players older than him? At least he seems small compared to some of them.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This kid can fly. His teammates are terrible though. they can't finish at all. But at least it looks like he's trying to pass.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
That kid really does have some amazing skill. Would be interesting to see him playing against better competition, but talent is talent.

OILNATION*

Kid needs to work on his release a little bit.. Also his size is going to be a problem going forward.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Lol did you guys play Nhl slapshot than look at this kid? its really unfair to say a kid will be great even tho he is really good. I was a 3 time allstar baseball player in the same area where dempster,morneau,bay,harden and francis grew up in and then i quit the next year so its tough to say if this kid will even play hockey for that long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad