C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Um no...

The kid can flat out skate and has hands...I know the kid is 9 but its quite evident he has hands better than some players who play Junior right now...

:sarcasm:

Right? :huh:

I'm pretty sure there aren't many Canadian 9-year olds who can replicate that. Sure he'd have better competition (and better teammates), but he'd still stand out.

If he was Canadian, playing in a Canadian league at his age, he'd stand out but he wouldn't be able to pull off those type of moves playing with kids who know what they are doing, which would make this thread and those youtube videos cease to exist.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
he needs to play with better players, get him into a better hockey program tbh, there is alot of good 9 year olds out there, not as good as him, but better then all those kids he's playing against.

You can tell why he doesnt pass when you see the plays he makes and the kids shoot it into the goalie or just plain miss lol

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
You play any older and you risk other kids destroying him physically. I doubt he wants a concussion or anything injuries at the age of 9.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
:sarcasm:

Right? :huh:

If he was Canadian, playing in a Canadian league at his age, he'd stand out but he wouldn't be able to pull off those type of moves playing with kids who know what they are doing, which would make this thread and those youtube videos cease to exist.

Yeah, the talent pool is definitely lacking in that vid, but he would easily be a dominate AAA player here. I coached minor atom AA last year, (Which is 9-10 year olds) and he would for sure be leaps and bounds ahead of most AAA players. Good size, long powerful stride, great hands, amazing vision, a ridiculous shot for his age, he has all of the tools. He would show flashes of brilliance at the AAA level quite easily, but the quicker paced game probably wouldn't stop him.

I had a kid on my team who was similar, dominant, selfish, great hands and speed and could finish like no other. We thought for sure he'd slow down at the AAA level, but not at all. In their first exhibition game, he had 4 goals and 3 assists in a 7-4 win. All I'm saying is regardless of the weak competition, for a skills standpoint for a kid his age, he's well above the AAA norm in the GTA.

Crossovert*

he can skate around cones, big whoop, it was a nice shot though for a 6 year old

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I was also dominating when I was a kid. Whoopdidooo. Some kids are good, some suck. Doesn't mean anything.
He will probably have quit within 3 years.

You ever seen the movie "The tooth fairy"? If you have a younger brother or nephew you should go see it. Some valuable lessons to be learned. "Lower your expectations" that's you guy. This kid is pretty special. No question he's got a future.

Last edited by a moderator:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
You ever seen the movie "The tooth fairy"? If you have a younger brother or nephew you should go see it. Some valuable lessons to be learned. "Lower your expectations" that's you guy. This kid is pretty special. No question he's got a future.

Ok :laugh:

You realize these is Norway right? These kids most likely practice at most 2 times a week, probably doesn't skate outside of practice. Half the guys probably only play because their parents want them to get into sports. You see, in Scandinavia, alot of parents can pay for hockey equipment etc without problem.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Ok :laugh:

You realize these is Norway right?
These kids most likely practice at most 2 times a week, probably doesn't skate outside of practice. Half the guys probably only play because their parents want them to get into sports. You see, in Scandinavia, alot of parents can pay for hockey equipment etc without problem.

I'm aware of all that. That doesn't change the fact that this kid is a tremendous athlete. Have you ever heard of Akeem/Hakeem Olajuwon? Within 5 years of first picking up a basketball he was a top pick in the NBA draft and is arguably a top 5 center in NBA history. If you are a great athlete it doesn't matter. If his dad gets him to a good league he'll definitely be a top prospect in a matter of years.

I'm sure if you were ever as good as this kid and you stuck with it you could have played at a very high level.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I'm aware of all that. That doesn't change the fact that this kid is a tremendous athlete. Have you ever heard of Akeem/Hakeem Olajuwon? Within 5 years of first picking up a basketball he was a top pick in the NBA draft and is arguably a top 5 center in NBA history. If you are a great athlete it doesn't matter. If his dad gets him to a good league he'll definitely be a top prospect in a matter of years.

I'm sure if you were ever as good as this kid and you stuck with it you could have played at a very high level.

Do you think this kid plays at the highest level?
Like I said, I used to dominate when I played. That's until my team got to face the best teams in Stockholm. Guess what happened.. we got killed, like 20-0. Every player on those teams were better than me.
I'll admit, kid has got a wicked shot. But unless he plays at the highest level for his age group, it is impossible to know how good he is.
Even so, how many so called wonderkids have we seen on youtube the past 5 years. Countless. How many do you think actually amount to something? I bet it's less than 5%. Make that 1%

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Do you think this kid plays at the highest level?
Like I said, I used to dominate when I played. That's until my team got to face the best teams in Stockholm. Guess what happened.. we got killed, like 20-0. Every player on those teams were better than me.
I'll admit, kid has got a wicked shot. But unless he plays at the highest level for his age group, it is impossible to know how good he is.
Even so, how many so called wonderkids have we seen on youtube the past 5 years. Countless. How many do you think actually amount to something? I bet it's less than 5%
As I said. If you were really as good as this kid you would have had a future if you stuck with it. Maybe not in the nhl, maybe this kid doesn't even have a future in the nhl I don't know, but you could have played at a very high level. A great athlete is a great athlete no matter which way you slice it. I don't have to mention guys like Kopitar and Vanek for you to know that when a kid has talent and desire he can make it. I also refer you again to Hakeem Olajuwon. This kid can pick up the high level training later. There will be some SEL/SM-Liga clubs looking at him and trying to put him in their farm system I wouldn't be surprised at all. Especially if this video goes viral.

j12

Feb 27, 2009
Some of you need to go watch AAA hockey. Half of the players in these videos can't skate. They would be some of the weaker players on a 9 year old house league team. That's not to bust on the kid because what does it matter, but some of you should go out and watch the kind of hockey that's played in rinks here. You'd probably be blown away.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
As I said. If you were really as good as this kid you would have had a future. A great athlete is a great athlete no matter which way you slice it. I don't have to mention guys like Kopitar and Vanek for you to know that when a kid has talent and desire he can make it.

What does Kopitar and Vanek have to do with this kid? It's pretty difference to see a player outplay his opponents when he's 15-16 and plays at the highest level for his agegroup. Then you know the kid as talent.
Someone as young as this kid, you'll never know.
Could you go to a kids league in Sweden (or Finland, Canada, Russia etc) and find over 50 kids (in every country) who are as good or better than this kid? Most likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00