C/LW William Eklund - San Jose Sharks, NHL (2021, 7th, SJS)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How any draft lists have this kid under top 7 is beyond me. Yet some have him as low as 20????

I'd bet money he's a top 5 pick come draft day. He's just too talented and too smart. Eklund will probably spend the first season or two in the NHL as a W then convert over to C, but he absolutely projects as a C.

Reactions: VIPettersson

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go outside the top 10. I think he will be a good player, realistically something in the Arvidsson/Nyquist/Bratt mold. Perhaps better.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'd bet money he's a top 5 pick come draft day. He's just too talented and too smart. Eklund will probably spend the first season or two in the NHL as a W then convert over to C, but he absolutely projects as a C.

To me, he and Kent Johnson are neck and neck. Both see the ice so well and can score or set others up. Johnson has a larger frame and is maybe more of a traditional center but Eklund has such sublime skating to create time and space.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Just stirring the pot, but Wennberg, he kinda reminds me of him.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Sheesh this kid is gonna be good. I have a feeling he's going to drop a bit like Lundell did and teams will be wishing they had taken him.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
He's looking more and more like a contender for the 1st overall spot. It's an interesting draft since that spot is wide open. I truly believe Eklund will go top 5 and be in the running for that 1st spot.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Will be interesting to see how this draft shakes out. The one thing that I’ve thought about Eklund is that he looks like he could play center, which could help his draft stock of teams also see this.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Will be interesting to see how this draft shakes out. The one thing that I’ve thought about Eklund is that he looks like he could play center, which could help his draft stock of teams also see this.

He's a natural center that's playing wing in the SHL due to age and physical maturity, kind of like how Stutzle was W in the DEL but played center at the WJC. He'll make the shift to center.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a natural center that's playing wing in the SHL due to age and physical maturity, kind of like how Stutzle was W in the DEL but played center at the WJC. He'll make the shift to center.

Being a natural center doesn’t mean he projects as a center in the NHL. I believe he hasn’t played center since junior club hockey, and doesn’t play it for Swedish junior national teams either. He probably has a chance to play it in the NHL, but I wouldn’t be so sure he’s a center in the NHL just because it’s his natural position. Some natural centers simply can’t play the position in the NHL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Being a natural center doesn’t mean he projects as a center in the NHL. I believe he hasn’t played center since junior club hockey, and doesn’t play it for Swedish junior national teams either. He probably has a chance to play it in the NHL, but I wouldn’t be so sure he’s a center in the NHL just because it’s his natural position. Some natural centers simply can’t play the position in the NHL.

Before the covid issue he was slated to play center for Sweden at this past WJC.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Where a player plays in the SHL and especially internationally for Sweden doesn't really matter much. Pettersson is the prime example. Zibanejad played on the wing internationally, too. Is Eklund capable of playing center? Yeah, I'd argue he very much should play center for Djurgården right now, with their 2 best centers away they're entrusting the center position to a snickers bar and a tuna, moving Eklund to the wing would give Djurgården 1 good line instead of 1 competent line(aka. Eklund's line, which is held back by Östman), and 3 bad ones.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where a player plays in the SHL and especially internationally for Sweden doesn't really matter much. Pettersson is the prime example. Zibanejad played on the wing internationally, too. Is Eklund capable of playing center? Yeah, I'd argue he very much should play center for Djurgården right now, with their 2 best centers away they're entrusting the center position to a snickers bar and a tuna, moving Eklund to the wing would give Djurgården 1 good line instead of 1 competent line(aka. Eklund's line, which is held back by Östman), and 3 bad ones.

I agree, but I think a drafting team needs to be aware that there’s a chance he might be a winger in the NHL. Having the chance to play center in the NHL doesn’t mean he’s a sure-thing center. This is something teams will have to consider when evaluating where to draft him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad