C/LW William Eklund - San Jose Sharks, NHL (2021, 7th, SJS)

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
They need to move him away from Östman and Holtz. He tries but everything dies when the puck reaches his linemates sticks. Holtz can't even get hold of the puck at all

Reactions: wingerdinger

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
They need to move him away from Östman and Holtz. He tries but everything dies when the puck reaches his linemates sticks. Holtz can't even get hold of the puck at all
Yes I thought Holtz in particular was very poor today.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Agreed, and because he's stuck with those 2 he gets way less minutes than he deserves. Should be playing with Bergfors or Rhak.

The goal:

Reactions: CanuckCity

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Yes I thought Holtz in particular was very poor today.

Hes mostly been like that since the world juniors, played much better before.

Agreed, and because he's stuck with those 2 he gets way less minutes than he deserves. Should be playing with Bergfors or Rhak.

The goal:

I think the Rakhshani-Stoa-Axelsson line is working well, but yes I'd like to see him with Bergfors instead of Haga or Ågren

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Think this guy would be a good fit with the Canucks if he's still there when we pick and the dmen aren't as good an option

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Think this guy would be a good fit with the Canucks if he's still there when we pick and the dmen aren't as good an option

The Canucks top 6 is now loaded as Hoglander has burst onto the scene, so they should really be looking at getting a top D in this draft who is defensively polished and can step in soon. Preferably a RHD.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
The Canucks top 6 is now loaded as Hoglander has burst onto the scene, so they should really be looking at getting a top D in this draft who is defensively polished and can step in soon. Preferably a RHD.

I agree I'm just not sure there is that guy in the top 10 who's a defensive stalwart and plays the right side. JT Miller's contract runs out in 2 years and this kid could be a potential replacement on the LW if a contract isn't worked out with him. Or he could bump him down to the second line with horvat

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I agree I'm just not sure there is that guy in the top 10 who's a defensive stalwart and plays the right side. JT Miller's contract runs out in 2 years and this kid could be a potential replacement on the LW if a contract isn't worked out with him. Or he could bump him down to the second line with horvat

Ya that's fair. I personally think Clarke can develop into that mould of high end offense but strong 2-way guy. Done well adapting to the heavier forechecking pros in Slovakia thus far. He's already 6'1 180 as well. I really like Eklund though and think he should be top 5.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

No. Do not draft for position. Take the BPA. If the Canucks are selecting and that's Eklund (and it very well may be considering EliteProspects has him #1), then you take Eklund.

Horvat and Miller are both UFAs in two years. The Canucks have needs everywhere.

I'm more confident that Beniers/Eklund will turn into high-level NHLers than Hughes/Clarke/Power.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would take him over Holtz and Raymond if they were in the same draft.

I think it's really tough to look at Holtz given his regression this year, but the perceived talent last year was notably higher than he has shown this year. I think you really have to buy Eklund's ability to transition to center pretty seamlessly to have him comfortably over Raymond at least, and I know some people are. I like Eklund a lot on many levels, but there isn't anything that gives me certainty that he is locked into the center position, and I'm not confident that he drives play better than Raymond, nor do I believe he has the same game breaking ability.

I personally think that Raymond would be the favorite to go first overall in this draft class, as I considered him a lottery candidate last year. I don't think anyone in this 2021 class really threatens the lottery in 2020.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
No. Do not draft for position. Take the BPA. If the Canucks are selecting and that's Eklund (and it very well may be considering EliteProspects has him #1), then you take Eklund.

Horvat and Miller are both UFAs in two years. The Canucks have needs everywhere.

I'm more confident that Beniers/Eklund will turn into high-level NHLers than Hughes/Clarke/Power.

I was pretty bullish on Brandt Clarke and Owen Power prior to the start of their seasons based on how they played in their D-1 years, but I've cooled on Power and think instead of that top 5-10 #1 defenseman he becomes a solid top pairing guy or an upper tier 2nd pairing guy. Brandt Clarke is super skilled but I need to see him in the OHL before I can really form a strong opinion on him this season.

As far as Beniers and Eklund, I don't think we're going to see scoring trophies from either of these kids but they could be the kinds of guys that end up with Selke nominations while putting up 70ish points. Both are very solid defensive players at their level.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I was pretty bullish on Brandt Clarke and Owen Power prior to the start of their seasons based on how they played in their D-1 years, but I've cooled on Power and think instead of that top 5-10 #1 defenseman he becomes a solid top pairing guy or an upper tier 2nd pairing guy. Brandt Clarke is super skilled but I need to see him in the OHL before I can really form a strong opinion on him this season.

As far as Beniers and Eklund, I don't think we're going to see scoring trophies from either of these kids but they could be the kinds of guys that end up with Selke nominations while putting up 70ish points. Both are very solid defensive players at their level.

Which is why I think scouts can probably be a lot more confident in their projections vs. the defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad