C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think he will go 4-6 in the draft. But it's so early to tell yet. But from what i've seen from him myself thus far he is good at positioning. He has great numbers in Liiga and Juniors for his age. Doesn't play a flashy game.

Not the type of player that catches my eye but i wish everything good in his fortune. Can become a very good player. But for now the hype has been way too premature for this guy imho.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I think he will go 4-6 in the draft. But it's so early to tell yet. But from what i've seen from him myself thus far he is good at positioning. He has great numbers in Liiga and Juniors for his age. Doesn't play a flashy game.

Not the type of player that catches my eye but i wish everything good in his fortune. Can become a very good player. But for now the hype has been way too premature for this guy imho.
I agree. I don't think Lundell has enough skill to rise to the top-3 if the draft is strong from the top. Probably a solid two way second line center for most teams in his prime but not someone you'd like to build your team around.

Also, since Lundell has always been quite big and mature with early birthday, I wonder how much that has boosted his status for people to consider him as top-3 pick?

But I still definately could see him as a top-10 pick as long as he finds a new gear for the next season.

Last edited:

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
What's his ceiling? Is he as promising as KK or have the capacity to be an Aho-level centerman?

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
What's his ceiling? Is he as promising as KK or have the capacity to be an Aho-level centerman?
Barkov-lite, I'd say. Great IQ, good hands, excellent defensively. His skating has improved quite a lot over a year, so it should not be a problem for him. His vision is great, but I think he lacks a bit of the offensive creativity that is required from an Aho-level center. At the moment I see his potential as being a 70-point center with Selke-level defense, which is an excellent player, but not quite Barkov or Aho.

Alienato

Feb 23, 2019
Oulu

Well highly doubt of Aho-level. Still need to see something more of him. In WJC u18 he was mediocre (got some flashes), fel playoffs underperformed pretty badly (hifk cutted hes responsibility a lot in playoffs) and at end of season was expecting bit more of him when S. Salminen joined Hifk and was sitted in he's line. But besides those factors he actually played pretty good season.
Anyway he is still so young guy and critical development is comming ahead. And there is potential, but how high is questionmark. I would say that at this point he isnt threathing A. Lafreniere on 2020 draft than in fact that he is Centre. But if he plays great season (incl. international competitions) who knows what happen.

Reactions: Koijari

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I'd say his ceiling is Patrice Bergeron Light, maybe around Mikko Koivu. 60-70 points with excellent two-way game.

I like this Koivu projection. He is solid player overall and good at everything but he doesen’t have any special world class skill to be top 3. His hockeyIQ is incredible though. I guess he might be top 10 talent next year.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Considering how good he is at his age I'm not sure why he can't become a top 3 pick imo. He was impressive at the Wjc's as an underager. He seems very intelligent and well rounded. Has a good frame and he'll likely take another step forward next season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Definitely one of the most sure bets from that draft class to become an impact NHLer. The problem is he doesn't necessarily stand out, there's nothing in him that makes you wow. Obviously he's constantly playing against players far older than him which makes it harder to stand out but I don't really see the scouts going "this is what we want with our top 3 pick" right now. It's still early though, gotta keep that in mind.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not every top 5 pick is the type of player that can dominate games with dekes and skating. These types of players who play more of a understated style way too often get underrated on a website like this, but not by NHL scouts. I'm not saying Lundell is better than players with more perceived potential, but I could see him going higher than some people think.

One of the best producers in his draft class at club and international level, plays the center of the ice, clear first line upside, no big weaknesses and he'll be one of the most NHL ready players in the draft.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Not every top 5 pick is the type of player that can dominate games with dekes and skating. These types of players who play more of a understated style way too often get underrated on a website like this, but not by NHL scouts. I'm not saying Lundell is better than players with more perceived potential, but I could see him going higher than some people think.

One of the best producers in his draft class at club and international level, plays the center of the ice, clear first line upside, no big weaknesses and he'll be one of the most NHL ready players in the draft.

When he actually played vs his own age group at the WJC18s he did excatly that. Not worried at all about his offensive upside or skating.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He described Lafreniere well, but also Lundell. Both players get a lot of right place at the right time points and have high hockey IQ's. There are some similarities between the two in being very good players who aren't all too dominant or flashy, yet very effective. I think Lafreniere has better stick skills, while Lundell plays the center of the ice and is a better two way player.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He described Lafreniere well, but also Lundell. Both players get a lot of right place at the right time points and have high hockey IQ's. There are some similarities between the two in being very good players who aren't all too dominant or flashy, yet very effective. I think Lafreniere has better stick skills, while Lundell plays the center of the ice and is a better two way player.

As a HIFK fan i can easily agree on all that what Sam Stern said about Lundell.
But personally i don't believe Lundell gets any-kind advantage on that he's center.

Yes center is valuable than winger that's for sure.
But if drafting team hasn't clear need to center in that situation position doesn't matter and pick turns BPA.

Do i believe Lundell has chance to rise TOP3 ? Yes i do but it will require very good season in SM liiga.
Barkov and Kotkaniemi went TOP3 in their draft years because drafting team had clear need for center and both were BPA's as well. Is that scenario possible to Lundell ? not necessarily but there is chance for that.

Reactions: Jaska

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
As a HIFK fan i can easily agree on all that what Sam Stern said about Lundell.
But personally i don't believe Lundell gets any-kind advantage on that he's center.

Yes center is valuable than winger that's for sure.
But if drafting team hasn't clear need to center in that situation position doesn't matter and pick turns BPA.

Do i believe Lundell has chance to rise TOP3 ? Yes i do but it will require very good season in SM liiga.
Barkov and Kotkaniemi went TOP3 in their draft years because drafting team had clear need for center and both were BPA's as well. Is that scenario possible to Lundell ? not necessarily but there is chance for that.
Centers and Dmen have enormous value in the draft and even the D's and C's projected to go lower go higher because of how valuable they are. You can't have too many defensemen and a C can always be moved on wing. Anton Lundell is a pure center who plays a very solid pro game at the age of 17. He'll be extremely sought after.

Show me a bad NHL team who's projected to draft high next year that does not need a center.

TLDR: You're wrong.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think the Turcotte comparison is the most appropriate one. I don't see elite offensive potential like a Kakko or Laine had, but I see a very, very good two way player who reads the ice incredibly well. Doubt he goes in the top three, but certainly has a chance to go 4 or 5.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Centers and Dmen have enormous value in the draft and even the D's and C's projected to go lower go higher because of how valuable they are. You can't have too many defensemen and a C can always be moved on wing. Anton Lundell is a pure center who plays a very solid pro game at the age of 17. He'll be extremely sought after.

Show me a bad NHL team who's projected to draft high next year that does not need a center.

TLDR: You're wrong.

So what if i'm wrong it wouldn't be first time in my life.
Yes NHL teams cannot have too much centers because injuries happen.
So center depth isn't bad thing to have.

Of course i want see Lundell going high in draft night but the competition will be hard in TOP3 range.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
So what if i'm wrong it wouldn't be first time in my life.
Yes NHL teams cannot have too much centers because injuries happen.
So center depth isn't bad thing to have.

Of course i want see Lundell going high in draft night but the competition will be hard in TOP3 range.
I mean, top 5 is high too. Just because next year's high picks look really good doesn't mean it's anything away from Lundell. I'd go as far as to predict that he'll play in the NHL after his draft year.

Reactions: Mysteric1000

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I mean, top 5 is high too. Just because next year's high picks look really good doesn't mean it's anything away from Lundell. I'd go as far as to predict that he'll play in the NHL after his draft year.

Yes Lundell can play in NHL right away after his draft.
But only if there isn't new lockout season coming near future.

Last edited:

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Thing is, is this another case where people are prematurely setting an offensive ceiling for a prospect? Alot of things need to go right for a prospect to really shine in Liiga offensively, even Barkov benefitted tremendously from being on a great Tappara team. Rantanen, Kotkaniemi, Heiskanen etc all players who's offensive potential was questioned. Sometimes you're just wrapped in playing a great all-around game when you're a prospect playing in Liiga, especially as a center with alot of responsibilites.

Reading that bit by Stern is a bit confusing, he says he has a deadly release and that he's a creative passer AND great at reading the game but he doesn't have the same "elite skill set" that others do? If his ability to read the game is so good, I would bet on that translating to offense than anything else you can think of in a prospect, it's just gonna take a bit of time. Of course all of this will be illuminated on much more next year.

Reactions: Koijari
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad