C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noma

With a quick googling he and Barkov seem to be in a class of their own regarding D-1 seasons in Liiga, and they are practically tied. Barkov with 7+9 in 32 games and Lundell with 8+8 in 31 games. Funny how many similarities they share.

Though have to remember that Barkov was almost a year younger than Lundell still. But impressive from Lundell anyway.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
His on ice-awareness and IQ is something else. And I can't help myself but think about him being the next real deal center star coming down the pipeline after Barkov and Kotkaniemi.

As a Tappara fan I watched a lot of Barkov when he was 16 and even more when he was 17 playing in liiga and how he was almost always step ahead of everybody in terms of thinking the game. Same seems to be in the case of Lundell aswell as how he approaches the game in every situation. Sound positioning with and without the puck is highly developed already.

Its so interesting to see how well he can handle this league next ssn in his draft year.

Reactions: CLW and Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He lacks in skating a bit, as they talk about in the video, but Anton has stated skating will be his focus from now on. He has 17 months to work on that before his draft. Hockey sense and skills are in place otherwise. Solid prospect.
In fact an interesting thing is that as Liiga has had smart pucks registering all kinds of possible stats and attributes in a lot of games this season, Anton Lundell was in the top three of all the measured skaters with the highest average skating speeds in the games that he was measured in. I would dare to say that he is already a deceptively good skater. Clearly better than what he probably looks to many people’s eyes. Of course he can still develop with it a lot for the NHL level, but I dont really see his skating as any kind of weakness even now.

He is going to be most probably the best Finnish center in a few years. I’m quite confident really in this happening. Just love him as a prospect and the type of player he is. Big, strong, mobile for his size, good skills in everything, really smart and goes hard to the net, which is pretty rare for Finnish top prospects. Without major injuries he is going to be a real superstar in the future. Some hockey people are definitely quite badly still sleeping on him at the moment.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Lundell D-1:
In Liiga: 31 8+8= 16
U20 Worlds: 7 1+3= 4

Alexander Barkov D-1:
In Liiga: 32 7+9= 16
U20 Worlds: 7 1+3= 4

If you’re going to compare the players then at least use comparable ages. In Barkov’s D-1 year he was 16, Lundell is 17. There’s a 1 month difference between their birthdays, to cherry pick and use Draft-1 instead of actual ages to make stats look better is doing it a huge disservice.

Barkov 16 years old:
Liiga: 32 7+9 = 16
U20 Worlds: 7 1+3

Lundell 16 years old:
No Liiga
No U20 Worlds

Barkov 17 years old:
Liiga: 53 21+27 = 48
U20 Worlds: 6 3+4 = 7

Lundell 17 years old:
Liiga: 31 8+8 = 16
U20 Worlds: 7 1+3 = 4

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
You're ready when you're ready. No one can choose their physical maturity.

This is true but you can at least compare stats in a relevant manner, to use Draft seasons instead of age, is extremely misleading when the players are a year apart in age.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
If you’re going to compare the players then at least use comparable ages. In Barkov’s D-1 year he was 16, Lundell is 17. There’s a 1 month difference between their birthdays, to cherry pick and use Draft-1 instead of actual ages to make stats look better is doing it a huge disservice.

Barkov 16 years old:
Liiga: 32 7+9 = 16
U20 Worlds: 7 1+3

Lundell 16 years old:
No Liiga
No U20 Worlds

Barkov 17 years old:
Liiga: 53 21+27 = 48
U20 Worlds: 6 3+4 = 7

Lundell 17 years old:
Liiga: 31 8+8 = 16
U20 Worlds: 7 1+3 = 4
In Liiga have never played late born TOP5 pick so who in your option should compare? Nobody? Lundell just worlds best? Kakko 1. 2019, Lundell 1. 2020. Sounds good then.

JoukoPouko

Lundell shouldn't be compared to Barkov. He's just not at that level. He's not even at the Kaapo Kakko level, and there's a bit of a gap between Kakko and Barkov as well. Barkov was almost 7 months younger than Kakko during his draft season, so Kakko would need to destroy Barkov's numbers to get to that level.

That doesn't make them any worse. Kakko can still go #1 or #2 while not being at Barkov's level. Lundell can still go in top-5 while not being close to their level.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Lundell shouldn't be compared to Barkov. He's just not at that level. He's not even at the Kaapo Kakko level, and there's a bit of a gap between Kakko and Barkov as well. Barkov was almost 7 months younger than Kakko during his draft season, so Kakko would need to destroy Barkov's numbers to get to that level.

That doesn't make them any worse. Kakko can still go #1 or #2 while not being at Barkov's level. Lundell can still go in top-5 while not being close to their level.
7 months ain’t shit though.

Reactions: Ippenator

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
In fact an interesting thing is that as Liiga has had smart pucks registering all kinds of possible stats and attributes in a lot of games this season, Anton Lundell was in the top three of all the measured skaters with the highest average skating speeds in the games that he was measured in. I would dare to say that he is already a deceptively good skater. Clearly better than what he probably looks to many people’s eyes. Of course he can still develop with it a lot for the NHL level, but I dont really see his skating as any kind of weakness even now.

He is going to be most probably the best Finnish center in a few years. I’m quite confident really in this happening. Just love him as a prospect and the type of player he is. Big, strong, mobile for his size, good skills in everything, really smart and goes hard to the net, which is pretty rare for Finnish top prospects. Without major injuries he is going to be a real superstar in the future. Some hockey people are definitely quite badly still sleeping on him at the moment.

Sure but i think you are forgetting the potential Kotkaniemi is showing. Lundell is a stud but i believe the best finnish center in a few years will be Kotka.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Sure but i think you are forgetting the potential Kotkaniemi is showing. Lundell is a stud but i believe the best finnish center in a few years will be Kotka.
Not in fact even disagreeing with you necessarily. I have liked Kotkaniemi very, very much for at least two years already. I’m not really even that much surprised how good he has been in the NHL. The dude has sky high hockey IQ, just like Lundell in fact, which is the biggest reason why I love them both so much as Finnish prospects. Could very well even be that Kotkaniemi will after all be the best Finnish center in 4 years. I absolutely can see that happening.

Reactions: SweFINhockeyfan

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Not in fact even disagreeing with you necessarily. I have liked Kotkaniemi very, very much for at least two years already. I’m not really even that much surprised how good he has been in the NHL. The dude has sky high hockey IQ, just like Lundell in fact, which is the biggest reason why I love them both so much as Finnish prospects. Could very well even be that Kotkaniemi will after all be the best Finnish center in 4 years. I absolutely can see that happening.

Good answer. Also Kotka has proven he can score almost everyway possible. Untill Lundell has proven the same in the NHL i might reconcider my opinion depending on many things. Since i see so many reasons why Kotka was and will be a huge success.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I personally see Lundell having more impact than Kotkaniemi overall due to his supreme two-way play. Lundell might seem like a vanilla player compared to Kotkaniemi who is flashier and more aggressive, but he is just extremely smart and effective.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I personally see Lundell having more impact than Kotkaniemi overall due to his supreme two-way play. Lundell might seem like a vanilla player compared to Kotkaniemi who is flashier and more aggressive, but he is just extremely smart and effective.

Kotkaniemi is putting up extraordinary defensive results in the NHL. Lundell's offensive game is less flashy, but don't confuse that with "two-way play."

Reactions: SweFINhockeyfan

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Kotkaniemi is putting up extraordinary defensive results in the NHL. Lundell's offensive game is less flashy, but don't confuse that with "two-way play."
Kotkaniemi is good defensively as well, but extraordinary is hyperbole. I know two-way play often gets thrown around with players whose offense is less than amazing, but that's not the case with Lundell. Both his offense and defense are elite. He is a player I could see battling for Selke in his prime.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Kotkaniemi is good defensively as well, but extraordinary is hyperbole. I know two-way play often gets thrown around with players whose offense is less than amazing, but that's not the case with Lundell. Both his offense and defense are elite. He is a player I could see battling for Selke in his prime.

Kotkaniemi is among the best players in the league in most defensive advanced statistics. If this translates with increased playing time, he will be a Selke candidate as well. And it's far easier to say that of someone who is already doing it at the NHL level no matter how limited their role than of a d-1 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad