C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I think he'll surprise some doubters in his upcoming season. Kotkaniemi wasn't heralded as flashy but now he's considered as a future franchise C. I'd rather take a player whose responsible and has a nice two-way game rather than some flashy kid with highlight reel material but obvious holes in his game.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Reading that bit by Stern is a bit confusing, he says he has a deadly release and that he's a creative passer AND great at reading the game but he doesn't have the same "elite skill set" that others do?
In my opinion Lundell has pretty mediocre hands for top 10 prospect. Also he sees passing options on top level but has some problems to make those passes tape to tape. Lundell is also very good player in blue paint. I did not see that mentioned in those tweets.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is he safer and does he have higher ceiling than Kotkaniemi?

I think Kotkaniemi was a little more raw with his skating, two way game and offensive potential. He might have a little more offensive potential, but the range between Lundell’s floor and ceiling is much smaller than most players. Kotkaniemi was an upside pick. Lundell is a very safe, but very good, pick.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Is he safer and does he have higher ceiling than Kotkaniemi?
For me Lundell is tier better prospect than Kotkaniemi. Lundell succeed as a center at same age. Their offense is at same level but Lundell is overall more effecient player.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
For me Lundell is tier better prospect than Kotkaniemi. Lundell succeed as a center at same age. Their offense is at same level but Lundell is overall more effecient player.
I consider Kotkaniemi as a possible franchise C, so I can't imagine many teams passing Lundell on draft day.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I consider Kotkaniemi as a possible franchise C, so I can't imagine many teams passing Lundell on draft day.

It will all come down to how good Byfield can be. Most teams will drool over his size, speed, shot and hands combo which is a rarity for a player that big as it is. Lafreniere likely has 1OA locked up if he continues his progression. Only other challenger I see is Raymond right now but teams will have to be pretty high on him to take him over either of Byfield or Lundell. I have Raymond at 3 and Lundell at 4 but I've flip flopped on that and likely will continue to do so with more and more viewings.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
The thing is Imo that theres a pack of guys contending for 2-3 spots and Lundell definetly belongs to that group of guys early on.

He has progressed well with his skating in couple of ssns and his offseason plans might be that aswell as technical side of it and his skill development. He definetly has "toolbox" out there already with his advanced IQ, but I see he has to be reliable gamebreaking no. 1 C all ssn long next ssn for HIFK and log responsible minutes on both PK and PP to be somewhat on the contention of top 3 pick.

Even if Raymond is a Winger its not said he culdnt play in the middle imo. His versatility and IQ aswell are top notch, but also his offensive upside and skillset are better than Lundells at the moment + his skating. He brings wow factor more frequently what Lundell does not possess at the same caliber and variety. Difference might come down to that aspect in regards of production between that comparison over positions.

Ofc when u think how mature and competitive Lundell is already at a young age and how much he played meaningfull games that improved him a lot, one cant but believe hes improved a notch after this offssn and will hopefully show more frequently what hes made off also in the offensive zone. I wuld like to see him staying with puck more and win space with it, but also play his own game. He has intangibles already to be an effective blue-paint player and dangerous between hashmarks. I have no doubts either way he culdnt improve at individual skill aspect, cuz I bet hes willing to work on his flaws and also his strenghts as a humble athlete.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
As I've argued since I've started scouting him personally, I see a very projectable, safe, two-way center. He reminds me of Turcotte as a prospect in many ways. However, and perhaps he will prove me wrong on this, but I don't see elite offensive potential that I saw in Kakko or Laine, respectively.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
As I've argued since I've started scouting him personally, I see a very projectable, safe, two-way center. He reminds me of Turcotte as a prospect in many ways. However, and perhaps he will prove me wrong on this, but I don't see elite offensive potential that I saw in Kakko or Laine, respectively.

Do you think he's as good of a prospect as Jonathan Toews in terms of all the categories? (offense , defense , competitiveness)

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Do you think he's as good of a prospect as Jonathan Toews in terms of all the categories? (offense , defense , competitiveness)
I don't know if he's defensively naturally as talented as Toews was, as much as he just reads the ice exceptionally well and has a fantastic motor. We have an entire season for him to show us how much he has improved, so perhaps that opinion of mine can change.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I don't know if he's defensively naturally as talented as Toews was, as much as he just reads the ice exceptionally well and has a fantastic motor. We have an entire season for him to show us how much he has improved, so perhaps that opinion of mine can change.
I don't think anyone should be disappointed if Lundell becomes a Toews.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Centers and Dmen have enormous value in the draft and even the D's and C's projected to go lower go higher because of how valuable they are. You can't have too many defensemen and a C can always be moved on wing. Anton Lundell is a pure center who plays a very solid pro game at the age of 17. He'll be extremely sought after.

Show me a bad NHL team who's projected to draft high next year that does not need a center.

TLDR: You're wrong.
The Oilers are probably the only team. But I agree with your point.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Lundell have such a great skillset. People tend to undervalue his offense because of his strong two-way play. I think he will be better than Mikko Koivu but not as good as Barkov. Lundell is great bringing puck to o-zone and his shot is great.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Comparing him to a 2-time selke & stanley cup winner at this point is quite much tbh.

Agreed people are hyping him too much right now it's too early to reach this far in comparisons with what we have seen from him so far. His development this season will be a huge factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad