C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Agreed people are hyping him too much right now it's too early to reach this far in comparisons with what we have seen from him so far. His development this season will be a huge factor.

I didn't know a player like Lundell should prove himself first before he's eligible NHL comparisons :D:D:D

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Safer but lower ceiling IMO.

A year ago one wouldn't have said that. That is, if it was possible to compare Eagle's D season to Lundell's D-1 which would put them close in the age range. So much can happen in so little time and I think that applies to ceiling as well. Kotkaniemi is an oddity, wasn't good enough to play C in the FEL but started and finished as one in the NHL in the following year. Has never happened before as far as I know. That said Lundell was more impressive last year than the Eagle was in his draft year and there's no way I would've even considered the latter over the former. You just never know how things pan out.

Noma

Safer but lower ceiling IMO.

Lundell has most points by a forward in Finnish league in D -1 season. He also has most points for Finland by a forward in a U18 tournament in D -2 season. And most points for Finland in a U20 tournament in D -1 season.

Obviously these are partly because of he is late birthday (i.e. the comparison to for example Barkov is not fair at all), but still saying his ceiling low is odd.

Reactions: Frk It

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Lundell has most points by a forward in Finnish league in D -1 season. He also has most points for Finland by a forward in a U18 tournament in D -2 season. And most points for Finland in a U20 tournament in D -1 season.

Obviously these are partly because of he is late birthday (i.e. the comparison to for example Barkov is not fair at all), but still saying his ceiling low is odd.

Where did I say his ceiling is low?

I'm just making a guess here and I think Kotkaniemi occasionally shows signs of having a 1C future in the little things he does and how well he adapted to the NHL despite being too raw to belong. You see flashes of brilliance in him when you least expect it.

Lundell's always been great but my guess is that he's already very polished and doesn't have that X-factor to be a 1C. He's great but doesn't have as many tools as Kotkaniemi could have if Kotka could actually put it all together.

With that being said I think Lundell will end up better than Kotka and IMO he'll pan out as a very solid high-end 2C which is a veerry good player (although people on HfBoards think top 5 picks are automatic superstars)

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think Lundell has a higher ceiling than Kotka from an all around standpoint, but he hasn't shown me to be on the Kakko/Laine level pre-draft. Love his two way game, but as I've stated earlier, I still don't see explosive offensive tools currently.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
A year ago one wouldn't have said that. That is, if it was possible to compare Eagle's D season to Lundell's D-1 which would put them close in the age range. So much can happen in so little time and I think that applies to ceiling as well. Kotkaniemi is an oddity, wasn't good enough to play C in the FEL but started and finished as one in the NHL in the following year. Has never happened before as far as I know. That said Lundell was more impressive last year than the Eagle was in his draft year and there's no way I would've even considered the latter over the former. You just never know how things pan out.

I agree. I can only make a guess on how they'll end up and I think Lundell will end up being better but Kotkianiemi's ability to adapt to the NHL despite being too raw for it and the way he can do a little bit of everything with really quick decision-making is very intriguing. Unfortunately he was very fatigued by the end of the season so he's got a lot of development to do.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Lundell has a higher ceiling than Kotka from an all around standpoint, but he hasn't shown me to be on the Kakko/Laine level pre-draft. Love his two way game, but as I've stated earlier, I still don't see explosive offensive tools currently.

Kotkaniemi was picked where he was because of his ceiling. Good 1C potential with the potential for every tool being at least above average and a flashy game, but didn’t play center, didn’t play the WJC his draft year and was incredibly young for his draft. Lundell is near opposite. He’ll have played two WJC’s before being drafted, he’ll be old for his draft and he’s more current ability than ceiling. His puck skills lagged way behind Kotkaniemi’s. Kotkaniemi makes a lot of highlight-reel plays, like a Barkov due to having incredible hands. He might not be an offensive minded center because he has the potential to be a good two way center, but he’s more skilled than Lundell.

If Lundell scores more this season than those players, no one will say it’s because he’s more offensively talented. They’ll point to his age, his current ability in relation to ceiling and his hockey IQ. Lundell is not the same type of highlight-reel player. He’s like a Koivu type or a comparison we’ll know better, Derek Stepan. He’s not flashy, but he has above average offensive tools, a very high hockey IQ and the potential for elite defense.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Any idea what's happening with this kid? I tuned in for the second period and hardly saw him, maybe like twice or something and thought what the heck. He was also placed in the third line which seemed a bit odd considering successful last season. Lundell's TOI was 11:14 against Kalpa. Something doesn't add up. So I'm thinking he's suffering some illness or otherwise playing injured.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Any idea what's happening with this kid? I tuned in for the second period and hardly saw him, maybe like twice or something and thought what the heck. He was also placed in the third line which seemed a bit odd considering successful last season. Lundell's TOI was 11:14 against Kalpa. Something doesn't add up. So I'm thinking he's suffering some illness or otherwise playing injured.
The coach just prefers more experienced players in top lines? :dunno:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Where did I say his ceiling is low?

I'm just making a guess here and I think Kotkaniemi occasionally shows signs of having a 1C future in the little things he does and how well he adapted to the NHL despite being too raw to belong. You see flashes of brilliance in him when you least expect it.

Lundell's always been great but my guess is that he's already very polished and doesn't have that X-factor to be a 1C. He's great but doesn't have as many tools as Kotkaniemi could have if Kotka could actually put it all together.

With that being said I think Lundell will end up better than Kotka and IMO he'll pan out as a very solid high-end 2C which is a veerry good player (although people on HfBoards think top 5 picks are automatic superstars)

Look at a few lines above and read again
You are said Lundell has lower ceiling ( post number 377 ).
Or do you have so bad memory you can't remember what you wrote earlier ?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I might be off base but I don't buy this "average offensive upside" narrative. I think he's going to be a great player at both ends of the ice a la Barkov, maybe not as dominant though because of size difference

Reactions: 1OApick

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I might be off base but I don't buy this "average offensive upside" narrative. I think he's going to be a great player at both ends of the ice a la Barkov, maybe not as dominant though because of size difference

I agree with this, have felt like that for a while

Reactions: 1OApick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad