C Joseph Veleno (2018, 30th, DET) II

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Veleno gives me Bergeron vibes. Nothing special offensively but you can put him between two skilled wingers and produce, while playing great defense

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Sorry but Bergeron is not « nothing special offensively ».

A guy like Plekanec could be a good comparable.

Really? Because the man can drive play simply by being in the right place at the right time. Simply taking away options so his teammates can pick up the results of his positioning is an offensive skill -- it's hockey IQ. He's going to hit 1,000 points in his career quite easily, and he's nothing special? Only 90 players have hit 1,000 points in their career, and the bulk of them came in the 80s and 90s. Plekanec was several tiers below Bergeron. It's kind of insulting to Bergeron to have Plekanec compared to him, or considered better.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Really? Because the man can drive play simply by being in the right place at the right time. Simply taking away options so his teammates can pick up the results of his positioning is an offensive skill -- it's hockey IQ. He's going to hit 1,000 points in his career quite easily, and he's nothing special? Only 90 players have hit 1,000 points in their career, and the bulk of them came in the 80s and 90s. Plekanec was several tiers below Bergeron. It's kind of insulting to Bergeron to have Plekanec compared to him, or considered better.
I think you misread my post.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Veleno gives me Bergeron vibes. Nothing special offensively but you can put him between two skilled wingers and produce, while playing great defense
Think lower end comparables. Nielsen for example. Or as mentioned Plekanec. Lesser version of Larkin is also a simple comparison.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Malmo is Sweden's hottest team, all of the sudden. 4 wins in a row, away wins against both Rogle and Frolunda. Today's game was Rogle's first loss of the season at home.

More relevant to this thread, Veleno has been playing on the wing for almost a month now.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
11 points in 21 SHL games doesn't look very promising.
It's slightly disappointing but overall he's been playing pretty well. 2+1 the last 3 games is also a good sign, things are turning around for the team and that might make it easier for Veleno to put up some points as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He is 3rd and is also the team's worst -12.

So overall, definitely not impressive but could be worse.

His plus minus doesnt worry me at all. Hes a young guy who gets trusted with tougher defensive matchups because he plays a good two way game. When hes played against his peers hes been great defensively and elite on the PK. Dominant match up guy at the world juniors as well playing 25 mins a game.

I dont really watch his team, I watched him the other day against Rogle and maybe 2 other games all year but from what I see I'm not too worried about him. 2nd in goals per game when you joined a team late and didnt get a camp. When the games even out he could easily be third in scoring on that team which is fine for a guy who should be making his pro debut this year. People forget how young he is just because he played a year early in the AHL.

Hard to really look at raw numbers on a bad team and judge how good guys are. Is he playing with guys that dont play an NHL style game? Are these guys leading in scoring just being fed minutes that he isnt?

Reactions: Dominance

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Are these guys leading in scoring just being fed minutes that he isnt?
Some of the difference is more powerplay time and the fact that the other PP unit (that Veleno isn't on) has been a bit more successful. Overall I don't think anyone on Malmö has been that great offensively. Their scoring leader had a 4 point game but other than that hasn't been scoring at a much higher clip than Joe.
Veleno also has only 1 secondary assist, he's not been getting many "easy" points, for whatever reason.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Some of the difference is more powerplay time and the fact that the other PP unit (that Veleno isn't on) has been a bit more successful. Overall I don't think anyone on Malmö has been that great offensively. Their scoring leader had a 4 point game but other than that hasn't been scoring at a much higher clip than Joe.
Veleno also has only 1 secondary assist, he's not been getting many "easy" points, for whatever reason.

What website do you use to track SHL stats? I would like to see his icetime and scoring totals at different strengths.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
What website do you use to track SHL stats? I would like to see his icetime and scoring totals at different strengths.

Betterthanamonkey is the best, but he just paywalled everything for non patreons a couple weeks ago

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Don’t mean to sound like an ass, but I see Veleno a career AHL’er or at best a borderline 3rd/4th line forward.

I don’t see how the hell he could end up a career AHLer. If you want to say his ceiling is a third liner, that’s one thing, but to say he won’t crack the NHL is a pretty hot take. Like I would ask you to break down what about him makes you feel like he will struggle.

Honestly, I think he could play on the 4th line tomorrow, but being in Sweden and the AHL this year was still the best bet for his development to be more than just 4th line fodder.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Don’t mean to sound like an ass, but I see Veleno a career AHL’er or at best a borderline 3rd/4th line forward.

I've softened my outlook for him... but career AHLer? Sounds like someone has a grudge.
Minimum 3rd liner. Hopefully a good one.
If he does whatever he needs to do to stop bleeding goals against, I expect him to be a Filppula level guy, but with more goals and fewer assists.
20-20-40 guy who wins faceoffs and probably wears a letter.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Lmfao his 2nd pro season at 20 years old and he's already being written off as a 3rd/4th line tweener

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad