C Joseph Veleno (2018, 30th, DET) II

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lmfao his 2nd pro season at 20 years old and he's already being written off as a 3rd/4th line tweener
Alot of people at his draft date didn't expect him to be much better than a 3rd liner unless he dramatically exceeded expectations. Seems to be why there was such a massive disconnect between people here and some arm-chair scouts and where he actually went.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Alot of people at his draft date didn't expect him to be much better than a 3rd liner unless he dramatically exceeded expectations. Seems to be why there was such a massive disconnect between people here and some arm-chair scouts and where he actually went.

He doesn't have top level puck skills. He rarely wows you with a move or deception. He's more straight-ahead, predictable. The thing I like is that he's improved his shot.

Reactions: Dominance

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t see how the hell he could end up a career AHLer. If you want to say his ceiling is a third liner, that’s one thing, but to say he won’t crack the NHL is a pretty hot take. Like I would ask you to break down what about him makes you feel like he will struggle.

Honestly, I think he could play on the 4th line tomorrow, but being in Sweden and the AHL this year was still the best bet for his development to be more than just 4th line fodder.

Yeah hes too fast and good on the PK to not be in the NHL. Career ahler is a crazy hot take. This should be his rookie pro season starting right now, the hot takes need to relax. No one was saying anything when he was playing the most minutes on Canada last year en route to gold

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He doesn't have top level puck skills. He rarely wows you with a move or deception. He's more straight-ahead, predictable. The thing I like is that he's improved his shot.
I think he has more skill than he gets credit for. One of my issues is actually that he doesn't play more straigthforward, he could be more successful I think if he just focused on making strong, "safe" plays instead of getting cute. To me he's still in that process of adjusting to the pro game, he's still got a bit to much of that junior level hockey where he's reaching for plays instead of actually getting his stick on the puck or taking the body or doing those things that are effective at the pro level.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think he has more skill than he gets credit for. One of my issues is actually that he doesn't play more straigthforward, he could be more successful I think if he just focused on making strong, "safe" plays instead of getting cute. To me he's still in that process of adjusting to the pro game, he's still got a bit to much of that junior level hockey where he's reaching for plays instead of actually getting his stick on the puck or taking the body or doing those things that are effective at the pro level.

I wish he played with more up and down the ice intensity.
Too often I see him gain the line and curl, when I think he'd make life tougher on defense if he pushed them deep. That goal he scored against Seider's team - I'd love to see him skate like that more. Be more of a Larkin-esque puck hound.
Larkin isn't an outright thief like Datsyuk was, but how many times do you see him force a bad pass/whiffed pass that causes a scoring chance for Detroit.

Veleno always seems like he's pretty much in the right place. But sometimes he seems like he's skating - not getting the puck back.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I wish he played with more up and down the ice intensity.
Too often I see him gain the line and curl, when I think he'd make life tougher on defense if he pushed them deep. That goal he scored against Seider's team - I'd love to see him skate like that more. Be more of a Larkin-esque puck hound.
Larkin isn't an outright thief like Datsyuk was, but how many times do you see him force a bad pass/whiffed pass that causes a scoring chance for Detroit.

Veleno always seems like he's pretty much in the right place. But sometimes he seems like he's skating - not getting the puck back.

I'd say that's a pretty good analysis. When you watch how he gets points it's not highlight reel, top 10 goals of the season but when he makes the simple, smart play or by outworking the other team. Give it a bit of time and I think he'll simplify his game enough and become more effective. The dude is only 20.

Reactions: MBH

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Was there actually a big disconnect? It seems like you are exaggerating this point.

I think I was someone who had him higher than most. I might be one of these arm-chair scouts. I had him 13th at the draft. I'm not sure there were actually people who had him much higher than that range. The 11-15 of that draft was Wahlstrom, Dobson, Dellandrea, Farabee, Denisenko. Is Veleno really that much worse than those players?

Even if he only ends up a third liner/middle sixer, would that have been a bad outcome for a player drafted 11-15? If you are getting a middle of the league NHL'er at pick 30, thats clearly a successful pick. I think we can all say that he's looking better than the 30th pick.

And while there's worthy debate if he was worth a pick in the ~11-15 range, I'm not sure he's on a bad path for that range. If a player like Dellandrea had .5PPG this year in the AHL (if it was up and running with a full season), would anyone be calling that a bad season? .5PPG or better in the 20 year old year in that caliber of league (SHL being similar caliber) is pretty good. There aren't that many guys who produce at that rate who aren't at least third line forwards eventually.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Has had a pretty good season thus far , there's a decent amount of skill there however whether he will be more than an NHL 3rd liner is still a big question

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Has had a pretty good season thus far , there's a decent amount of skill there however whether he will be more than an NHL 3rd liner is still a big question
He should at least be given some good opportunity over the next couple of seasons to earn a top 9 center spot and see if he can stick or even settle into the 2c role. It isn't like the Wings have anyone else over the next few seasons that will take that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad