C Joseph Veleno (2018, 30th, DET) II

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Players who are playing pro weren't on the invite list. I'm sure Canada will take him if the Wings loan him.

Thank you. You and the person above were very courteous to correct me.

Ultimately, my point remains about struggling as a 19 year-old. I'm not worried about him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He will be on the WJ team.. Amazing how fast people rip on junior eligible players, playing vs grown men for the first time. Zadina and Rasmussen last year, Veleno this year... Not saying any will be super stars but give the kids a chance to hit legal drinking age in the country they play in before we even come close to deciding what kind of career they will have.
In Veleno and Zadina's case, when people start throwing around claims such as "steal" of the draft, how did so many teams pass on him, etc. They are going to get scrutiny when they aren't doing well. That is just the cycle of these boards.

Exactly. If he didnt have exceptional status and had a year like he did last year in his draft+2 year in the Q no one would be saying anything about him being overrated. People are holding him to a standard with guys like McDavid and Tavares. Hes having a slow start in pro hockey sure but like you said hes also a year younger than anyone coming from junior hockey in the AHL and hes on a team thats been pretty poor/lots of juggling of guys because of injuries.

Are these excuses? Well yeah kinda but theyre also true and solid reasoning for why his play is slow right now. He was a 30th pick, probably shouldve went closer to 15 and is tracking to be a second line center potentially in the NHL. Anyone saying he looks like a 4th liner is out to lunch
He seems more like a middle-six player than a bonafide 2nd line center. I also think 15 is a bit rich, 15-25 is probably a more realistic range. I don't think he's done anything to pass the first 12 picks in the draft except maybe Wahlstrom, and I think a couple more people after Wahlstrom are pretty clearly ahead of Veleno at this point in time (Farabee) and then a bunch of close calls. 15 seems at the high end of the range he should have went. I mean, you can argue Sandin, Denisenko, Ty Smith, Lundestrom, K. Miller, Bernard-Docker, and Kupari in the Veleno group for a while but I think there are a couple I would pretty clearly take ahead of him (Sandin, Denisenko, Smith, and Miller).

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
In Veleno and Zadina's case, when people start throwing around claims such as "steal" of the draft, how did so many teams pass on him, etc. They are going to get scrutiny when they aren't doing well. That is just the cycle of these boards.

He seems more like a middle-six player than a bonafide 2nd line center. I also think 15 is a bit rich, 15-25 is probably a more realistic range. I don't think he's done anything to pass the first 12 picks in the draft except maybe Wahlstrom, and I think a couple more people after Wahlstrom are pretty clearly ahead of Veleno at this point in time (Farabee) and then a bunch of close calls. 15 seems at the high end of the range he should have went. I mean, you can argue Sandin, Denisenko, Ty Smith, Lundestrom, K. Miller, Bernard-Docker, and Kupari in the Veleno group for a while but I think there are a couple I would pretty clearly take ahead of him (Sandin, Denisenko, Smith, and Miller).

You can find a couple fans from every fan base who think their team has the steal of the draft.. The other 95 percent of fans know that development, drafting and how players pan out is determined by alot of factors, and most of them we really have no idea about. Was Veleno selected too low? Was Zadina too high? Who knows, in 5 years it could be both are busts when they are 24... In 10 years they could just finally be figuring out their game.
I just enjoy watching the kids play and develop, and find it ridiculous when some are critized at such a young age in a pro league... Not every kid starts out like Makar in Colorado. And not every Makar continues that pace, some regress and peak in their first few years. That's the great thing about the game, never know what's going to happen from year to year.

Reactions: wetcoast and Fenris

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
You can find a couple fans from every fan base who think their team has the steal of the draft.. The other 95 percent of fans know that development, drafting and how players pan out is determined by alot of factors, and most of them we really have no idea about. Was Veleno selected too low? Was Zadina too high? Who knows, in 5 years it could be both are busts when they are 24... In 10 years they could just finally be figuring out their game.
I just enjoy watching the kids play and develop, and find it ridiculous when some are critized at such a young age in a pro league... Not every kid starts out like Makar in Colorado. And not every Makar continues that pace, some regress and peak in their first few years. That's the great thing about the game, never know what's going to happen from year to year.

I definitely agree with this. Saying your team has the “steal of the draft” on draft day is complete non-sense. Like you said, a lot of factors go into how a player develops, and it’s almost never linear in how someone progresses.

I’ll use Makar as an example. After going 4th overall, he attended UMass and had a decent, but not great year. He wasn’t even the top scoring defenseman on the team that year. No one was calling him a bust, but maybe expectations were a little too high. Then came his 2nd season at UMass, and he was the best player in college hockey by most accounts.

Who says if Colorado would’ve signed him from the NCAA after his first year, that Cale Makar is the player he is today? Maybe the development curve drastically changes and you’re looking at a kid who struggles his first couple of years. Development is the key ingredient to any pick. One kid develops into a superstar taking the college route, and maybe the next kid struggles in the NCAA and opts back into the CHL and never reaches his potential. Different paths for everyone, and that’s what makes it so fascinating.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Meh, I've said it from the beginning, he's a career 3rd line center on a team that features 3 scoring lines. That's not a bad pickup at the end of the first round. People expecting a top 6 guy were getting their hopes way to high. But, he's going to be part of Detroit's middle 6 for years to come.

Reactions: Gibby

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Meh, I've said it from the beginning, he's a career 3rd line center on a team that features 3 scoring lines. That's not a bad pickup at the end of the first round. People expecting a top 6 guy were getting their hopes way to high. But, he's going to be part of Detroit's middle 6 for years to come.

Based on what? Have you watched him play or are you just statwatching. He is 19 and this is his first proseason, give it time.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Based on what? Have you watched him play or are you just statwatching. He is 19 and this is his first proseason, give it time.

Tuats kind of been his scouting report for a while now. He definitely has the tools to be a 2nd kind C, but I too think he fills more of a great 3C spot. 40-50pts a year with great defensive and matchup abilities

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Tuats kind of been his scouting report for a while now. He definitely has the tools to be a 2nd kind C, but I too think he fills more of a great 3C spot. 40-50pts a year with great defensive and matchup abilities
40-50pts a year with great defensive and matchup abilities is a pretty good 2nd line C, lol.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
40-50pts a year with great defensive and matchup abilities is a pretty good 2nd line C, lol.

Not in most contenders in the high scoring league we’ve seen the last two seasons no.

How many good teams would say 44pts put you as their #2C?

Caps? No
Bruins? No
Panthers? No
Leafs? No
Avs? No
Blues? No
NYI? Arguable
Preds? No
Flyers? No
Sharks? No
Pens, Vegas, Tampa? No.

You get my point.

Reactions: wetcoast and ello

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Veleno stuck out with his size, speed and general play at the WJC. He may, or may not end up producing a lot of points in the NHL, but he has the skills to be an offensive factor.

Reactions: newfy and Dominance

Christien

May 1, 2010
I thought Veleno stuck out with his size, speed and general play at the WJC. He may, or may not end up producing a lot of points in the NHL, but he has the skills to be an offensive factor.
Yeah I agree. His ability to win key faceoffs was huge for Canada this year. I think he'll be a real responsible 3rd line center who can slot in higher in the lineup for injuries. He's still young and has a lot of time to develop his game.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I predicted earlier he would have a big tournament and then take that momentum into a strong second half to his first pro season.

I was right on the first half. I’m excited to see what he does now.

Reactions: LazyT

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He was one of the guys I was impressed with through the tournament you could tell the coaching staff really trusted him. Maybe he ends up as a 3C, but if he does he’s going to be one of the better 3C in the league.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, he didnt lead the team in scoring or anything but I think Veleno was one of the most important players on the team for sure. He was playing at least 2-3 more minutes a game more than anyone else up front. The PP was ran through the right side of the ice so he didnt get as many points as he could've but he was productive enough to go along with the other stuff he was doing for it to be a really good tournament.

I wonder if he has the killer instinct to put up points at the next level but I think he could get there with his passing ability. His zone entries were so good all tournament as well, no one skated the puck through the neutral zone for entries on Canada better than he did.

His game actually reminds me a lot of a young Val Filppula. Really good skater who could handle the puck really well. Defensively responsible as well and can be trusted on the ice. I could see Veleno topping out in that 55-70 point range but hopefully just more consistenly than Filppula did.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Yeah, he didnt lead the team in scoring or anything but I think Veleno was one of the most important players on the team for sure. He was playing at least 2-3 more minutes a game more than anyone else up front. The PP was ran through the right side of the ice so he didnt get as many points as he could've but he was productive enough to go along with the other stuff he was doing for it to be a really good tournament.

I wonder if he has the killer instinct to put up points at the next level but I think he could get there with his passing ability. His zone entries were so good all tournament as well, no one skated the puck through the neutral zone for entries on Canada better than he did.

His game actually reminds me a lot of a young Val Filppula. Really good skater who could handle the puck really well. Defensively responsible as well and can be trusted on the ice. I could see Veleno topping out in that 55-70 point range but hopefully just more consistenly than Filppula did.
He played the bumper position outstandingly well on the PP and seemed to win 90% of the faceoffs. It’s actually astounding he didn’t score off of any of those quick shots.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As a Wings fan following his development over the past couple of years, this tournament was not out of my expectations of him. He plays a very mature and responsible game; the things that he excels at are the things that a lot of kids at his age struggle to. I was hoping that being next to some special level talent like Lafreniere, Hayton, Cozens, Foote, etc. would bring out a little more offense, but despite the numbers not racking up, I think the signs of more are definitely there. By all accounts he's extremely dedicated to his craft, so here's to hoping that his attention to detail polishes his touch and his shot, while his experience grows his feel for the game.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
As a Wings fan following his development over the past couple of years, this tournament was not out of my expectations of him. He plays a very mature and responsible game; the things that he excels at are the things that a lot of kids at his age struggle to. I was hoping that being next to some special level talent like Lafreniere, Hayton, Cozens, Foote, etc. would bring out a little more offense, but despite the numbers not racking up, I think the signs of more are definitely there. By all accounts he's extremely dedicated to his craft, so here's to hoping that his attention to detail polishes his touch and his shot, while his experience grows his feel for the game.

I see a lot of Phillip Danault in him, perhaps a half step faster.

Ex3ggutor

Jul 10, 2015
Veleno, despite having a pretty poor season in the AHL, showed that he deserved his role in this team.
he was the guy having the more responsability and did very well, except that he wasn't able to score much.
he had a ton of chance.

His PK play was very solid. Him, Foudy and Dellandrea did pretty good. He also took won a shitload of important faceoff and was always at the right place when we needed him

I think that canada would have had a hard time winning if him and hayton weren't loan.

Also, i like that comparaison with Danault. Seems to be playing the same style. They both play a pretty good 2 way roles.
I hope veleno will keep it up and have a better 2nd half of season in the AHL.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Veleno, despite having a pretty poor season in the AHL, showed that he deserved his role in this team.
he was the guy having the more responsability and did very well, except that he wasn't able to score much.
he had a ton of chance.

His PK play was very solid. Him, Foudy and Dellandrea did pretty good. He also took won a ****load of important faceoff and was always at the right place when we needed him

I think that canada would have had a hard time winning if him and hayton weren't loan.

Also, i like that comparaison with Danault. Seems to be playing the same style. They both play a pretty good 2 way roles.
I hope veleno will keep it up and have a better 2nd half of season in the AHL.

I wouldn't say his AHL season is poor, he is just having a slow start which is understandable after 4 years of walking over kids in the QMJHL. Now he is playing against men, which means it will take time to adjust to the much better competition. He will do much better im the 2nd half of the season after he is now warmed up.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
velenos been a new man month of february . playing a smarter game with and without the puck . doing a much better job carrying the puck and creating open space to work in then making smarter passes . becoming much more of an offense generator . smarter on the forecheck too creating all kinds of problems / turn overs for opponants . before i did not see him as feasibly a 2C in the nhl but now i do

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Woo! First post in probably 10 years.
Here's a beauty that Veleno scored last night. The kid has been playing like a much different person since returning from the WJC. I'd compare him to someone like Brendan Morrison in his vancouver days or Paul Stastny. Good wheels, defensively responsible, underrated (and underused) shot, but won't be the guy that drives his line offensively like Lafreniere will. I think that 55-70 point seasons are within the realm of possibility like a few of the posters here.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad