C Joseph Veleno (2018, 30th, DET) II

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He'll be allowed to show his skill. The coaching in Grand Rapids is atrocious dump and dig hockey with a team full of skilled forward prospects.
Yeah, circumstances are usually subpar in the AHL. Coaching players your team hasn't chosen who don't fit your gameplan. Should make any coach give up.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, circumstances are usually subpar in the AHL. Coaching players your team hasn't chosen who don't fit your gameplan. Should make any coach give up.

Grand Rapids is stocked with Detroit prospects. The problem has been a coaching and development philosophy of Detroit's since the Babcock days. Blashill plays a crappy dump and dig style in the NHL and was the same in Grand Rapids with a skilled roster. Ben Simon also coaches that style despite having guys that can skate it into the zone.

I'd love to see what Veleno can do on the wider European ice rinks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Grand Rapids is stocked with Detroit prospects. The problem has been a coaching and development philosophy of Detroit's since the Babcock days. Blashill plays a crappy dump and dig style in the NHL and was the same in Grand Rapids with a skilled roster. Ben Simon also coaches that style despite having guys that can skate it into the zone.

I'd love to see what Veleno can do on the wider European ice rinks.

Jeff Blashill and John Cooper are best friends. They developed a system together in the USHL and have rode it up the ranks. Blashill won in the USHL, rebuilt a dead 30 year program into a NCAA tournament team, won a Calder Cup while developing several young players and is held in extremely high regard by people around USA hockey and large amounts of NHL front offices. There is a reason Yzerman came in and kept him as well. I know the Wings suck and I know people think this is what his system is. It isn't what his system is, you just saw a large part of his beliefs and how he wants to play hockey lift the Stanley Cup.

Glad Veleno has caught on, that is important. I hope he can have a very good year in Sweden, also glad they just choose to put him on a one year deal and be done with it.

Reactions: mantha39

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Thats a pretty nice assist actually.

He needs to take over games offensively more to hit on his potential

That was also a nice release on the goal for someone people used to say would have trouble scoring goals because he doesn't have a good shot.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

Has been better than his point totals indicate so far imo.

way i see jv is hes got good wheels - attitude - hustle - strong on skates - legit nhl size / body type , but not the finest hands - shot - hockey iq which are all just average . but that total package adds up to a player that could center an nhl 2 line if both his wingers are very talented high hockey iq scorers , in step zadina and raymond ! imo that becomes a very solid some where in top dozen nhl 2 line

Reactions: Dominance

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
way i see jv is hes got good wheels - attitude - hustle - strong on skates - legit nhl size / body type , but not the finest hands - shot - hockey iq which are all just average . but that total package adds up to a player that could center an nhl 2 line if both his wingers are very talented high hockey iq scorers , in step zadina and raymond ! imo that becomes a very solid some where in top dozen nhl 2 line

What you described is not a 2nd line NHL center.

... You described Darren Helm.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan

I'm actually becoming more concerned about his offensive upside, so a Helm clone might not be far off...I actually looked at him as a rich-mans Helm. He passes the eye test...but something doesn't add up about his lack of production. I get it, he's still young, he's still developing but his team scored 7 today and he only had that 1 point in a situation where he should be a go-to offensive guy. In fact it looks like his minutes are reducing by quite a bit recently also.

Reactions: NotLeddy

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019

ive no idea why your comparing veleno to helm as obviously veleno has a higher though not elite talent level . and helm can not rush the puck up ice as well as veleno at all . it is obviously way more feasible that a young veleno can develop into a more valuable nhler than helm has been , and feasibly a 2c . but go ahead and play smart ass and write veleno off as a bottom sixer already

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'm actually becoming more concerned about his offensive upside, so a Helm clone might not be far off...I actually looked at him as a rich-mans Helm. He passes the eye test...but something doesn't add up about his lack of production. I get it, he's still young, he's still developing but his team scored 7 today and he only had that 1 point in a situation where he should be a go-to offensive guy. In fact it looks like his minutes are reducing by quite a bit recently also.

His production has been fine considering the levels he's been playing at. A typical CHL kid his age would have been back in junior last year. He was able to be fast forwarded to the AHL due to his exceptional status. He struggled a bit at first but toward the end of the season he was trending up quite a bit and was one of GR's better players. Production has been decent so far playing in SHL considering having to move to a different country and learn new system and get familiar with new teammates after not playing hockey for 8 months. He's still on track to be a solid top 6 C

Reactions: decaguard

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
ive no idea why your comparing veleno to helm as obviously veleno has a higher though not elite talent level . and helm can not rush the puck up ice as well as veleno at all . it is obviously way more feasible that a young veleno can develop into a more valuable nhler than helm has been , and feasibly a 2c . but go ahead and play smart ass and write veleno off as a bottom sixer already

I've no idea why you're claiming I'm comparing Veleno to Helm when I pretty clearly said that the player type he described was Darren Helm.

But go ahead and keep throwing around terms like, "smart ass", when you can't even read.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Veleno's skating is plus - but not elite.
His skill is plus - but not elite.
His IQ is plus- but not elite.

I think he's going to be just fine as a 3C - maybe a 2C with the right linemates.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad