C Joseph Blandisi (2012, 162nd, COL; 2015 signed, NJD)

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The only guy beating Connor McDavid in points. 17 points in 6 games. Has this guy moved up a few tiers and is he set to become an amazing player or is this just an unsustainable hot streak?

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Unsustainable hot streak.

Also an overager, helps playing against kids 2-3 years younger than you

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Just having a good 20 year old season.

Check out Alexis Loiseau in the Q, 27 points in 11 games.

Always a few overagers who dominate their last junior year.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Blandisi's a playmaking OA forward with some grit, so that plays a big part in it. Also, early on, players were away at NHL camps and there's more loose play (i.e., no battling for playoff position), so that too should be taken into consideration. However, if Blandisi can sustain this hot start into his next stretch of games, then maybe he can turn that momentum into an ELC, as has bottom-six potential that scouts have noticed before, but the Avs already elected not to sign him in June, and after scoring one goal in two games at Traverse City for the Sabres, he left their camp without a contract too.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
He was at the Jets development camp in the spring. Didn't stick out at all.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I think this is a case of him being a 20 year old dominating a younger league. I hope I'm wrong and someone gives him a contract though!

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Slowed down a little but still 3rd. Since Colorado opted not to sign him, is there any chance that he will be re-drafted this year if his performance is good at the season's end?

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Kid has 69 pts in 39 games (30G, 39A). Yes, an over-ager but he's been sustaining the pace pretty much all year. Not expecting much but if you've seen NJ's forward prospect pool, this guy is going to be a nice add that is desperately needed. Even if he only has bottom six NHL potential, any NHL potential helps NJ right now.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
What's up with this kid? Is he just another overager or he have a legit shot at being a NHLer?

51 goals and 110 points in 66 games

Legit shot.

The progression of his game has been phenomenal this year. There's a reason why the Devils rushed to sign him before the March cutoff for ELC's (meaning this year's contract actually already burns a year off his deal).

He's always been a hard worker and a player with a strong two-way game, but three major things have happened since the offseason.

1) He's gotten much quicker. Blandisi has always been a good skater, but he's now an elite one. His acceleration and top gear is among the best in the OHL and it's made him quicker to loose pucks and very dangerous off the rush. It's also made him a fantastic penalty killer (10 shorties this year).

2) He got stronger. Me thinks that the fact he wasn't given an NHL deal by Colorado really lit a fire under him and he spent a ton of time in the gym. Not only is he quick, but he's also tough to knock off the puck. And the added strength has made him an even better two-way player. Definitely one of the best defensive forwards in the OHL.

3) While likely closely connected to his added strength, his shot has improved dramatically. Both his release and the velocity of it are terrific.

While I don't think we're looking at a top 6 player, his speed, hustle and smarts make him an ideal candidate to be a great bottom 6 guy who can excel as a PK'er.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Coaches poll:
Top Playmaker in East
3rd fastest in East
3rd best shot in East
3rd best PK'er in East

I believe this is a terrific mix of skills to transfer to the NHL.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
As a Colorado fan, I'm going to be rolling my eyes if he turns into a good NHL'er. But at the same time good for him for not giving up.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
3 point night to get him to 14 points in 14 games. I'm sure the Devils wanted to get him a full year in Albany but if the 3rd line continues not producing and Blandisi keeps tearing it up you have to think a call up is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad