C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought they had to wait for his rights to officially expire, which wouldn't be until August, right?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not a surprise, at all.

He‘ll be a coveted free agent though. It‘ll be interesting to see where he ends up.

What information suggests he'll be coveted?

The Flyers are not exactly loaded with forward talent (though their prospects are better than many "experts" and "fans" claim) and former BU assistant Len Quesnelle is part of their personnel team.

If they chose not to sign him why would more talented NHL clubs be chasing him?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

The Flyers are not exactly loaded with forward talent (though their prospects are better than many "experts" and "fans" claim) and former BU assistant Len Quesnelle is part of their personnel team.

Because he is a free prospect that costs nothing to acquire. Thats why a lot of these college kids are coveted. They are older, more mature, and can step into a pro game easier. Clearly Philly valued the 2nd rounder more than OBrien which is logical, as most teams would do the same.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Outsaide of Gauthier and Forster the Flyers propsects aren't much.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Surprised you dont know Bobby Brink:
Hober Baker top 3 last year.
Played same team as Caufield for 2yrs at World’s at same scoring pace (in fact outscored him by a point).
Season u18 in 18-19 Brink got 74 pts in 48 g, Cole 100 pts in 64g, exact same pace and Cole played on much stronger team in USHL losing only 5 games.
If Cole is a first-line star, Brink might be a little something too…

Desnoyers is a RHP type, 3 yrs younger.

Emil Andrae was Sweden’s jr cpt, very nice d prospect taken 2nd round.
Just signed and playing well in AHL after 3 SHL seasons. Just turned 21.
Played with Heineman at World’s in 2021. Same production in 5g but is a d.
Swedens best scorer at 2022 WJC 8pts in 7 games just like great prospect Josh Roy.

Thats 3 more names right there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers have some decent prospects but they generally trend to the secondary & depth variety at best. They need some real potential top of the line impact guys.

O’Brien is a depth prospect at this point. He doesn’t have enough value to the Flyers to forego the second round compensation attached to them. The Flyers have enough prospects of his ilk & he’s not changing the fortune of this franchise so the lottery ticket is probably more intriguing when you’re about to full on rebuild.

I’d imagine O’Brien yields an NHL contract on the open market from somebody else.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Depends on who you're considering "prospects ".

Players like the Cates Brothers, Farabee, Frost and Cam York still seem like prospects even though they're playing in the NHL.

Add them to the guys in Lehigh Valley like Desnoyers, Brink and Lycksell as well as defensemen Attard, Andrae and Ginning and things don't look nearly as bleak as some would suggest.

The Flyers also have some exciting goaltending prospects to follow 24-year-old Carter Hart.

Future is a lot more optimistic than people think.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Players like the Cates Brothers, Farabee, Frost and Cam York still seem like prospects even though they're playing in the NHL.

Add them to the guys in Lehigh Valley like Desnoyers, Brink and Lycksell as well as defensemen Attard, Andrae and Ginning and things don't look nearly as bleak as some would suggest.

The Flyers also have some exciting goaltending prospects to follow 24-year-old Carter Hart.

Those aren’t prospects by any stretch.. some of those players aren’t even on ELCs anymore.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ

Surely you jest. They don’t have one high end star prospect in their entire failure of an organization. With their dog meat roster, they had a chance this year to be a bottom 3 team in the league and win the prize of Connor Bedard, but chose to hire a coach who would get them to merely mediocre status and relegate them to draft purgatory, destroying any possibility of winning the lottery. They can’t even lose right. What a total disgrace that franchise has become.

• Love

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
O'Brien on draft day 2018

I don't know where this kid goes anyways as a free agent. If the Flyers didn't see any value of him, then was it because of their new regime? And where does he end up for the NHL? Chicago would be best for him just because of how barren that team is, and how they are starved for any talent. Or could a team like Boston snag him up on the cheap?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
O'Brien on draft day 2018

I don't know where this kid goes anyways as a free agent. If the Flyers didn't see any value of him, then was it because of their new regime? And where does he end up for the NHL? Chicago would be best for him just because of how barren that team is, and how they are starved for any talent. Or could a team like Boston snag him up on the cheap?

usa_today_10905136.1529718468.jpg

Maybe a nothing burger, but the two guys on the right are with the Penguins (for the moment). Pittsburgh could use a free prospect since they've dealt away a decent number of picks/prospects over recent deadlines.

As for the Flyers, a 2nd rounder (51st overall in 2024) might simply be a better asset right now than a 23 year old O'Brien. Some other 2018 1st rounders already started clearing waivers this season (Kaut/Beaudin) or were traded for scraps (Kravtsov/Merkley).

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Surely you jest. They don’t have one high end star prospect in their entire failure of an organization. With their dog meat roster, they had a chance this year to be a bottom 3 team in the league and win the prize of Connor Bedard, but chose to hire a coach who would get them to merely mediocre status and relegate them to draft purgatory, destroying any possibility of winning the lottery. They can’t even lose right. What a total disgrace that franchise has become.

Last time I responded to one of the "Fire Chuck" crowd posts I landed in hot water.

But if you consider the Flyers a "dog meat organization"
(particularly after last night's effort) not much I can say.

John Tortorella is a lot more important to the turnaround than one player would be. Even a player as talented as Bedard.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Last time I responded to one of the "Fire Chuck" crowd posts I landed in hot water.

John Tortorella is a lot more important to the turnaround than one player would be. Even a player as talented as Bedard.
You really can’t be serious, can you? A coach with an abrasive personality, who after being hired has a shelf like of 3-4 years at the most before his players mutiny against him, as opposed to a generational superstar destined to change the course of your franchise, and who will play at least 90% of his career with the team fortunate enough to draft him? In addition, making a judgement about this wretched roster after one game versus a team having a historical season which can be construed as their “Stanley Cup?” I know you’re a fan, but take off the orange and black colored glasses. :help:

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Played same team as Caufield for 2yrs at World’s at same scoring pace (in fact outscored him by a point).
Season u18 in 18-19 Brink got 74 pts in 48 g, Cole 100 pts in 64g, exact same pace and Cole played on much stronger team in USHL losing only 5 games.

Swedens best scorer at 2022 WJC 8pts in 7 games just like great prospect Josh Roy.

The thing with flyers is prospects is there don't scream top 100 players. Brink looks like he could have a nice nhl career. Probably more middle 6 than top line But who wouldn't take a rd 2 pick and get middle six player

Andrae always compared to Kimmo Timonen but Kimmo's hockey instincts were off the charts. Skills are there.

Destroyers bottom 6 projection. at round 5 take that all day.

Wisdom another bottom 6 projection guy.

Fedotov if he comes over look like legit g prospect, But who knows where usa/Russia relations will be this year.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Because he is a free prospect that costs nothing to acquire. Thats why a lot of these college kids are coveted. They are older, more mature, and can step into a pro game easier. Clearly Philly valued the 2nd rounder more than OBrien which is logical, as most teams would do the same.
Well, he's a 23 old avg NCAA player. I could see him being a coveted college free agent if he was one of the top scorers in the nation, but he isn't. Will he get offers? Probably, but I highly doubt they'll be a bidding war for him

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Well, he's a 23 old avg NCAA player. I could see him being a coveted college free agent if he was one of the top scorers in the nation, but he isn't. Will he get offers? Probably, but I highly doubt they'll be a bidding war for him
Your baseline is pretty high for an NCAA player. He is a solid 2 way forward with speed who wins faceoffs and is good in his own end. He was a top 10 scorer in the Hockey East. He will never live up to his 1st round expectation, and probably is nothing more than a 4th liner at the NHL level. But there have been bidding wars over much worse players coming out of college. This happens literally every year.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Oh man this reminds of all those years we had the #1 prospects system that was filled with tons of mid players lol. I won’t be fooled again by slow, terrible skating players.

Good move getting the 2nd here

Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

There’s only 1 Cates worth a damn and the others you listed in that group are no longer prospects.

The guys in Lehigh you listed will be bottom 6 at best and doubtful to even be full time nhl players.

Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
The thing with flyers is prospects is there don't scream top 100 players. Brink looks like he could have a nice nhl career. Probably more middle 6 than top line But who wouldn't take a rd 2 pick and get middle six player

Andrae always compared to Kimmo Timonen but Kimmo's hockey instincts were off the charts. Skills are there.

Destroyers bottom 6 projection. at round 5 take that all day.

Wisdom another bottom 6 projection guy.

Fedotov if he comes over look like legit g prospect, But who knows where usa/Russia relations will be this year.
Andrea is 5’8”, 180 lbs. He’ll be thrown around by bigger forwards like a rag doll. :oops:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

All that him not being signed indicates is that his value is lower to Philly than a ~50th overall pick.

If O'Brien was a 2nd rounder and there was no compensation for not signing him, he'd almost definitely be under contract with Philly right now.
The team he is on is stacked. Tons of depth and talent spread across the line-up.

JOB plays all situations and drives play. He isn't a top prospect by any means, and is far from a guaranteed NHLer, but as a free wallet he is very attractive. Think he could be a good bottom 6er if he really wants to be.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Flyers are a dog meat organization. Just ask the city who has been ignoring them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad