C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Boston University has finished their regular season and were already knocked out of the conference tournament (NCAA remains). O'Brien was BU's leading scorer this year (tied with Farrance). Really great to see the turnaround in his career.

Reactions: Devonator

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Boston University has finished their regular season and were already knocked out of the conference tournament (NCAA remains). O'Brien was BU's leading scorer this year (tied with Farrance). Really great to see the turnaround in his career.

Question is does he stay at BU for another season?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is he worth a 2nd rounder...that's the debate. And is it worth signing him now and getting the contract started or wait and let him have more games in the NCAA so you have a bigger sample to make that decision.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anyone have any insight on how he looked in his 2021-2022 season?

Looked better after he returned from injury, after a quick glance looks like 18 points in 17 games to finish the season. Understandably since he's already 22, you might hope for numbers that jumped off the page but it was also a down year for BU standards.

Philly needs to get that compensatory pick and not sign him

Interesting dilemma since the current management group didn't take him. Not sure if you'd rather give him a 2 year ELC to see if there's something there or get a mulligan with the 51st pick in the 2024 Draft. I guess it'll depend on if he progresses next season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So are the Flyers going to sign him or just take the 2nd?

I'd wager that they'll take the compensatory pick at this rate.

Hextall/Pryor drafted him in Philadelphia and they're with Pittsburgh now, so maybe they'd consider O'Brien as a free wallet in August?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'd like the Flyers to sign him in the hopes he actually can be an NHL player.

In reality though, if the Flyers sign him, we know he will not be an NHLer, and if they take the 2nd round pick, they will just trade it away in some useless moronic deal, i.e. JVR plus a 2nd rounder for Derick Brassard.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You take the comp pick and run with it. It was a high-risk pick banking on a high-reward long-term projection that has proven to be misguided. The flashes O'Brien showed pre-draft were indeed just flashes. You cut your losses, recover a valuable asset, and add an 18-year player to your prospect pool instead.

O'Brien might earn a UFA deal at some point but his NHL upside is very low at this point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd like the Flyers to sign him in the hopes he actually can be an NHL player.

In reality though, if the Flyers sign him, we know he will not be an NHLer, and if they take the 2nd round pick, they will just trade it away in some useless moronic deal, i.e. JVR plus a 2nd rounder for Derick Brassard.

Fletcher does seem to have a strong allergy to the 2nd round.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You take the comp pick and run with it. It was a high-risk pick banking on a high-reward long-term projection that has proven to be misguided. The flashes O'Brien showed pre-draft were indeed just flashes. You cut your losses, recover a valuable asset, and add an 18-year player to your prospect pool instead.

O'Brien might earn a UFA deal at some point but his NHL upside is very low at this point.

Philly should obviously be taking the pick, but O'Brien is equally obviously going to be getting an ELC immediately from some NHL team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Philly should obviously be taking the pick, but O'Brien is equally obviously going to be getting an ELC immediately from some NHL team.

It's more likely / immediate than I worded it, for sure. He's not that impressive for a 23 year old college player, though.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Don't the flyers have to offer him a contract 1st ?

Granted it could be the absolute lowest, but I think the team has to "try" and sign him ?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Third-leading scorer for the Terriers - who finished first in Hockey East. Though the consensus seems to be it's a down year for college hockey.

It will be interesting to see what happens both with O'Brien (Flyers) and Case McCarthy (Devils).

For obvious reasons, Lane Hutson is drawing most of the attention. But the upperclassmen have had bounce back seasons in Jay Pandolfo's first season as head coach (with the exception of the Bean pot Tournament of course).

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I thought he had to be offered a contract in order to get compensation ? Sounded like the flyers didn't, but either way they get the 51st overall pick, as he was the 19th pick ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad