C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Unlike Matthews and Eichel, Hughes doesn't have the prototypical 1C size. He'll likely be a franchise winger
That's such an outdated way of thinking, dear lord. If Giroux is big enough, he's big enough.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's such an outdated way of thinking, dear lord. If Giroux is big enough, he's big enough.
Giroux was just moved to the wing, and pretty much the one exception to make it as a #1 NHL center. Giroux also plays a way grittier game than Hughes has demonstrated.

Reactions: 99664987

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Giroux was just moved to the wing, and pretty much the one exception to make it as a #1 NHL center. Giroux also plays a way grittier game than Hughes has demonstrated.
My point is that if it's been done, even by one person, it's not impossible.

Skill-wise, I don't think there's been anyone at Hughes's level trying to pick up the role of an undersized elite 1C in NHL in recent times.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My point is that if it's been done, even by one person, it's not impossible.

Skill-wise, I don't think there's been anyone at Hughes's level trying to pick up the role of an undersized elite 1C in NHL in recent times.
Patrick Kane was a junior center, who was tried at center in the NHL for a brief period of time and moved back. I'd say he's pretty close to Hughes skill level. Clayton Keller looks to be a long-term NHL winger and so does Mitch Marner.

I'm not saying its impossible he'll be a center at the NHL level. But, when projecting him against Matthews and Eichel, his ability to play center comes with significantly more risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Barzal, Mat.

He's like the one exception.
Barzal is way thicker in build than Hughes is. It's not that Hughes is short, it's that he is also slight. The closest of recent guys in a comparable build who has had success in the NHL is Point.

Guys like Crosby, are short, but they are stocky as hell.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
it is honestly the best way to describe him.

He's not as fast but they have very similar skillsets. McDavids shot might have been a bit better. I feel like this kid is going to rack up a tonne of assists in the NHL though. The way he see's the ice, uses his edgework and stickhandling to open up space and then finds guys with pinpoint accuracy. It's amazing.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
it is honestly the best way to describe him.

The problems I have with that comp are his concern as a center at the next level and he's not the straight line player McDavid is or was. I see some comparisons in their game though. He's a more East-West type than McDavid is.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
when jack hughes enters the league the 3 best skaters in the nhl will be mcdavid , quin, and jack. I can't even think of anyone i would put in their level.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
when jack hughes enters the league the 3 best skaters in the nhl will be mcdavid , quin, and jack. I can't even think of anyone i would put in their level.

With the puck? Kucherov, Kane, Gaudreau, Ehlers, Connor, Marner, and Point are probably up there. Clayton Keller has some great wheels with the puck as well. Also Larkin and Grabner without the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad