C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
How do Hughes and Newhook compare? I'm getting a little nervous about the chatter in here about Hughes being more of a winger.
Haven't watched Newhook play outside of a few highlights, so I can't really speak to that.

I will say I totally disagree with the talk of Hughes as anything but a center in the NHL. He's incredibly smart, one of the most natural centers I have ever seen at his age. I think the talk of his lack of size and strength is overblown, considering no one can catch him or touch him he's so slippery and smart.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Haven't watched Newhook play outside of a few highlights, so I can't really speak to that.

I will say I totally disagree with the talk of Hughes as anything but a center in the NHL. He's incredibly smart, one of the most natural centers I have ever seen at his age. I think the talk of his lack of size and strength is overblown, considering no one can catch him or touch him he's so slippery and smart.

People seem to forget that he's only 17. Give him some time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How do Hughes and Newhook compare? I'm getting a little nervous about the chatter in here about Hughes being more of a winger.

Very similar players. Both smaller natural centers. Great skaters, with solid edgework. Hughes is more of a west-east kind of player likes to slow the play down a bit more and use his insane vision to set up plays. Newhook is more of a north-south kind of skater loves to catch defenders off guard on the rush, has a very explosive step that can get him separation almost at will. I think Newhook has a better overall shot arsenal. His wrist shot is really deceptive and he can get it off in very tight spaces and he picks corners really well. His backhand is off the charts, one of the better backhand shots I've seen at his age in awhile. While I think Hughes has a better overall stickhandling and passing ability. His vision is ridiculously executed at times. The way he can feather a pass through traffic and right onto someones stick is a thing of beauty. Hughes is the better player IMO at this point in time. Newhook is a bit more raw and obviously playing in a lower league with a lot less talent around him. I could see Newhook being a Barzal like player though for sure. Hughes I see being quite a bit better as I think his vision and passing abilities are quite a bit ahead. He'll be a prolific playmaker at the NHL level IMO.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Islanders will definitely be in contention for Hughes. Would love to see him and Walhstrom reunited.

How do you figure? Name a center on the Habs that resembles anything close to what Barzal is. Losing Tavares hurts like hell, yes, but your team is nowhere near the tire fire that is the Habs under Bergy The Great. Another long term injury to Price or Weber, and they will be Avalanche of two seasons ago bad.

As of today, I see the 'race' in the #Lose4Hughes derby between the Habs and the Sens. Of course, the lottery could change things greatly.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How do you figure? Name a center on the Habs that resembles anything close to what Barzal is. Losing Tavares hurts like hell, yes, but your team is nowhere near the tire fire that is the Habs under Bergy The Great. Another long term injury to Price or Weber, and they will be Avalanche of two seasons ago bad.

As of today, I see the 'race' in the #Lose4Hughes derby between the Habs and the Sens. Of course, the lottery could change things greatly.

So far since the changes to the lottery the last place team has only won first twice out of 4 drafts. As have the 3rd last and the 5th last placed team. Finishing last or even 2nd last doesn't guarantee you anything. One of these days we will see a big jump.

Reactions: Konk

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Very similar players. Both smaller natural centers. Great skaters, with solid edgework. Hughes is more of a west-east kind of player likes to slow the play down a bit more and use his insane vision to set up plays. Newhook is more of a north-south kind of skater loves to catch defenders off guard on the rush, has a very explosive step that can get him separation almost at will. I think Newhook has a better overall shot arsenal. His wrist shot is really deceptive and he can get it off in very tight spaces and he picks corners really well. His backhand is off the charts, one of the better backhand shots I've seen at his age in awhile. While I think Hughes has a better overall stickhandling and passing ability. His vision is ridiculously executed at times. The way he can feather a pass through traffic and right onto someones stick is a thing of beauty. Hughes is the better player IMO at this point in time. Newhook is a bit more raw and obviously playing in a lower league with a lot less talent around him. I could see Newhook being a Barzal like player though for sure. Hughes I see being quite a bit better as I think his vision and passing abilities are quite a bit ahead. He'll be a prolific playmaker at the NHL level IMO.
Glad to see this. I’m pretty high on Newhook myself, and if the Habs can’t win the lottery to get Hughes, I hope we’re in a position to take Newhook.

This year’s draft is going to do wonders for the team as long as they continue to be shit, which is likely to be the case.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

2 things:
1.when the Habs draft Hughes he won't be able to wear #19 (retired)
2. I think you mean habs and avs :naughty: are in the race of lose for Hughes.

Reactions: Gains

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

There defense is bad and there goaltending is even worse. Yes the islanders offense should still be ok but without Tavares they will be probably somewhere in the middle of the league in offense. Last season they were top 5 in offense and still missed the playoffs by a lot. Islanders are going to be one of the worst teams in hockey as there defense and goaltending is horrible. Trots might help them cut there goals down some but not enough.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
His kid is incredible. He’s the new age nhl forward. speed, Skill, and amazing skating ability.

Barzal and Hughes would be a devastating combo when they hit their primes. The Isles have talented wingers to pair them with too. Karma owes us one. If not Lou can get an 'Uncle Gary'. :)

Reactions: SI90

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Braydon Point was a hell of a lot smaller than Hughes was at 17. There is no reason with Hughes skill set to think he won't easily translate to the NHL. If they do decided to move him to the wing he'll be as dynamic of a winger as there is in the game.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
all hockey gods are praying for a massive habs tank in ‘19 and ‘20

As long as Price is the goalie and plays at his usual level, the habs should not be anywhere near bottom 5.

If he plays like he did last year then ok, but thats the worst contract in the league by far then.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Our first first overall pick please god I'll do anything we missed out on the Nylanders and the Tkachuks but give us this brotherly pairing and I'll never complain about anything in my life ever again.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Our first first overall pick please god I'll do anything we missed out on the Nylanders and the Tkachuks but give us this brotherly pairing and I'll never complain about anything in my life ever again.

oooh and the draft is in Vancouver! that would be a great brother combo, you guys had the sedins though....

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

You guys got the Sedins. You've filled your HOF brother combo quota for this century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad