Status
Not open for further replies.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Birthday: 2001-04-10
Hometown: Toronto, ON, CAN
Position: Center
Height: 5'9" Weight: 170lbs

Long considered the favorite to go #1 in the OHL Draft in 2017.

Recently Ranked #47 by TheHockeyNews list of top 100 prospects under the age of 21.

Nc1GlxR.png

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Was he born and raised playing in Canada?

Why would he go play for the us ntdp if that's the case, how can a player even be eligible then, don't you have to live in the States?..

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Was he born and raised playing in Canada?

Why would he go play for the us ntdp if that's the case, how can a player even be eligible then, don't you have to live in the States?..

No, you just need citizenship.

Michael Campoli is a good recent example. Top QMJHL prospect born & raised in Quebec but ended up going to USNTDP and now he's an undrafted D-man for Boston College.

I guess a Jack Hughes comparable might be DJ King. Son of a former NHLer, born in USA, grew up playing in Canada, but left a chance in the OHL for USNTDP.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Can someone tell me more about this prospect? How is his season? How does he compare to Parent? Why is he brother representing the US but he represents Canada?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Hughes and his brothers were born in US and came to Toronto 10 years ago. His 99 brother played for the Marlies growing up, was drafted by Sarnia and is with the USNTDP now and committed to Michigan.

Jack is a terrific skater, very cerebral and poised with the puck. He has a lot of things still to work on but is very good. Compares more than favourably to Parent.

Has a lot of growing to do still, which allows for a lot of upside when he does fill out, as he is nowhere near 5'9 or the 170 lbs claimed above. Probably closer to 5'8 and 145 lbs.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hughes and his brothers were born in US and came to Toronto 10 years ago. His 99 brother played for the Marlies growing up, was drafted by Sarnia and is with the USNTDP now and committed to Michigan.

Jack is a terrific skater, very cerebral and poised with the puck. He has a lot of things still to work on but is very good. Compares more than favourably to Parent.

Has a lot of growing to do still, which allows for a lot of upside when he does fill out, as he is nowhere near 5'9 or the 170 lbs claimed above. Probably closer to 5'8 and 145 lbs.

Dad and Uncle are 5'10 max and his brother may be a generous 5'9, too bad it's likely Jack won't grow much taller.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Hoping this kid ends up playing for my hometown Colts (should be one of the teams vying for worst overall barring a huge turnaround) for sheer entertainment factor.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Dad and Uncle are 5'10 max and his brother may be a generous 5'9, too bad it's likely Jack won't grow much taller.

I hate that logic.

Doug Hamilton 6'1"
Freddie Hamilton 6'1"
Dougie Hamilton 6'6"

Tom Zajac 5'10"
Travis Zajac 6'2"
Darcy Zajac 6'0"
Kelly Zajac 5'10"
Nolan Zajac 5'10"

I'm like 4 inches taller than all my male relatives. It's a misguided assumption.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

I agree amazing player, exciting to watch, but he is closer to 5'08 maybe in 5'07ish.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is Jack Hughes American or Canadian?

Wasn't his dad affiliated with the Burke era Leafs for a while as a development coach?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is Jack Hughes American or Canadian?

Wasn't his dad affiliated with the Burke era Leafs for a while as a development coach?
Duel citizen, his dad was director of player development for the Leafs from 2009 to 2015. Unclear what path he will choose but his brother went the USNDP route and currently plays for Michigan.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
His father Jim was with Leafs in player development a couple of years ago. Currently he is working for CAA in the Toronto area.

Brother is still with USNTDP U18 team and is committed to Michigan for next year.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Praying he goes OHL (Barrie Colts). Hughes and Svechnikov is the dream scenario but landing either would be huge.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
EP is just as likely to be wrong as it is right.

He's invited to the NTDP tryout and some genius probably thought that means he's joining the team next year.

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
EP is just as likely to be wrong as it is right.

He's invited to the NTDP tryout and some genius probably thought that means he's joining the team next year.

Legitimately praying for this to be the case. HC needs to get their greedy heads out of their *****, as America is catching up with Canada in terms of quality and quantity of prospects fast as hell, thanks to all the support the Southern States get from the NHL. It's time for Canada to do more than rely on crappy corporate sponsors to provide equipment and playing opportunities to less privileged members of our society, and for HC to stop lining their own pockets and do their job.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Legitimately praying for this to be the case. HC needs to get their greedy heads out of their *****, as America is catching up with Canada in terms of quality and quantity of prospects fast as hell, thanks to all the support the Southern States get from the NHL. It's time for Canada to do more than rely on crappy corporate sponsors to provide equipment and playing opportunities to less privileged members of our society, and for HC to stop lining their own pockets and do their job.

They should have granted him EP status last year and this wouldn't even be an issue

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They should have granted him EP status last year and this wouldn't even be an issue
He probably wasn't worthy. I doubt after Sean Day they are going to play it loose, especially with a fairly undersized player. I don't think he even made an application.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Hoping this kid ends up playing for my hometown Colts (should be one of the teams vying for worst overall barring a huge turnaround) for sheer entertainment factor.

Yeah. As someone who lives in Barrie myself, it would be nice. Colts haven't been bad very often in recent years, but haven't had the playoff success you'd expect from some of the elite teams they've had in the 2010's either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->