C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Can someone explain why he’s staying at USNTDP? Seems like a terrible decision in my opinion but I don’t know anything about anything.

I think its 100% the right move. Hughes has all the tools just needs some more size. He is listed at 155 pounds. Another year of training at the USNTDP is exactly what he needs in my humble opinion. He will add strength and refine some elements of his game. Great call.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ok that clears it up thank you. Will be first ever 1st overall player drafted out of the USHL I presume? Wonder how he will handle that jump to the NHL.

He will be the first player to jump from the USNTDP/USHL directly to the NHL, which is another first.

Assuming that happens.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No what I am saying is, he couldn't have played for the USNTDP in his draft year even if he wanted to.
He was too old for the U18 squad because of his birthday.

Yeah Hughes situation is an odd one. He pretty much has to play USDP. Unless he wants to play for Mississauga. But I doubt it.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Can someone explain why he’s staying at USNTDP? Seems like a terrible decision in my opinion but I don’t know anything about anything.

He's 5'10 and 161 pounds. It would be better for him to stay at the program anyways to bulk up. College or pro in Europe he would run the risk of injury. Plus he didn't really have any other options. If he wanted to accelerate through high school he would've had to make that decision before last year.

And his team is stacked. In no way is he being held back by his teammates.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
He's 5'10 and 161 pounds. It would be better for him to stay at the program anyways to bulk up. College or pro in Europe he would run the risk of injury. Plus he didn't really have any other options. If he wanted to accelerate through high school he would've had to make that decision before last year.

And his team is stacked. In no way is he being held back by his teammates.

Bingo. If he can add 10-15 pounds this season it would be ideal for him. Going to play in the NHL at 175lbs is much preferred over 160lbs. Keep in mind Johnny Gaudreau is 5'9 and 155 pounds so it can work but I think another year of development at USNDTP is the ideal spot for him. Patrick Kane is 5'10 and 175 which would be pretty good size.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Bingo. If he can add 10-15 pounds this season it would be ideal for him. Going to play in the NHL at 175lbs is much preferred over 160lbs. Keep in mind Johnny Gaudreau is 5'9 and 155 pounds so it can work but I think another year of development at USNDTP is the ideal spot for him. Patrick Kane is 5'10 and 175 which would be pretty good size.
There's absolutely no way Gaudreau is 5'9". Maybe with skates on.

I think Hughes's size is fine. Just some natural development and some working out and he'll be more than NHL ready in a year. It's way overstated.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
What's wrong with Mississauga? Is it an undesirable place to play?

Just curious, not all that familiar with the CHL scene.
There's nothing wrong with Mississauga, but the OHL just doesn't make much sense for Hughes. His family relocated to Michigan for all three sons, so playing outside Toronto while younger brother Luke is still in Michigan would be an inconvenience. The nearby Flint OHL franchise has been a tire fire since relocating from Plymouth, so forcing a trade to them makes no sense. Windsor would be the only OHL team that makes any sense. We don't know for certain whether older brother Quinn will be back in Michigan or in the NHL / AHL yet, but he may return to Ann Arbor.

Jack has access to great training facilities with the NTDP, and if he did not accelerate his schooling, then U of M to play with Quinn for a season wasn't an option. So the NDTP makes the most sense.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There's nothing wrong with Mississauga, but the OHL just doesn't make much sense for Hughes. His family relocated to Michigan for all three sons, so playing outside Toronto while younger brother Luke is still in Michigan would be an inconvenience. The nearby Flint OHL franchise has been a tire fire since relocating from Plymouth, so forcing a trade to them makes no sense. Windsor would be the only OHL team that makes any sense. We don't know for certain whether older brother Quinn will be back in Michigan or in the NHL / AHL yet, but he may return to Ann Arbor.

Jack has access to great training facilities with the NTDP, and if he did not accelerate his schooling, then U of M to play with Quinn for a season wasn't an option. So the NDTP makes the most sense.

Quinn stated in an interview he is playing in Michigan next year. Jack also confirmed that in an interview with NHL.com

Reactions: Whalers Fan

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What's wrong with Mississauga? Is it an undesirable place to play?

Just curious, not all that familiar with the CHL scene.
It is not particularly well run, but it is not a complete tire fire like some other teams. I think the only OHL team he would have given serious consideration to in the Knights, or if a desperate team hired Jim Hughes because he could potentially bring both kids over (I heard Guelph was flirting with this idea prior to hiring George Burnett). That is out of the question at this point though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think its 100% the right move. Hughes has all the tools just needs some more size. He is listed at 155 pounds. Another year of training at the USNTDP is exactly what he needs in my humble opinion. He will add strength and refine some elements of his game. Great call.

It is a bit interesting though. Has any player ever been drafted out of UNTDP/USHL and then went straight to the NHL? Presumably, if Jack Hughes is the #1 overall pick, he's going straight to whichever team drafts him.

If he needs to add strength, and accelerating his education to enter the NCAA early was not a possibility, could he not have pulled a Matthews and played in a European pro league (likely Sweden or Switzerland)? He wouldn't have too much travel, and the European clubs have fewer games in their regular seasons schedules, hopefully allowing for time in the gym and recovering. All while still playing at a much higher level of play.

I totally think Hughes is perhaps the best American prospect in modern history. But it's going to be interesting to see what he can do going from a relatively low level of competition straight to the NHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is a bit interesting though. Has any player ever been drafted out of UNTDP/USHL and then went straight to the NHL? Presumably, if Jack Hughes is the #1 overall pick, he's going straight to whichever team drafts him.

If he needs to add strength, and accelerating his education to enter the NCAA early was not a possibility, could he not have pulled a Matthews and played in a European pro league (likely Sweden or Switzerland)? He wouldn't have too much travel, and the European clubs have fewer games in their regular seasons schedules, hopefully allowing for time in the gym and recovering. All while still playing at a much higher level of play.

I totally think Hughes is perhaps the best American prospect in modern history. But it's going to be interesting to see what he can do going from a relatively low level of competition straight to the NHL.
The Swiss federation didn't let Matthews play, one until he had a high school degree (he got a GED over the summer, as he was still in grade 11 when he finished at the USNTDP), and two, until he turned 18 (he missed games early in the season to due this). Hughes couldn't meet this qualification. I'm pretty sure European Soccer clubs can't put non-EU U-18 players in their academies without families completely relocating.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Matthews also needed a work visa before he could play pro hockey in Europe, and had to be 18 years old to get that visa. Hughes will not turn 18 until the season is almost over. His situation is very different from Matthews. It's the difference between an early year and late year birthday. Europe wasn't an option for Jack. It technically could be next season, but I think we all expect him to be in the NHL next season.

The NCAA was no longer an option once Hughes decided not to accelerate his schooling, as we have said already. So his only two realistic options were NTDP or OHL, and it appears he never seriously considered the latter.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Swiss federation didn't let Matthews play, one until he had a high school degree (he got a GED over the summer, as he was still in grade 11 when he finished at the USNTDP), and two, until he turned 18 (he missed games early in the season to do this). Hughes couldn't meet this qualification. I'm pretty sure European Soccer clubs can't put non-EU U-18 players in their academies without families completely relocating.

Matthews also needed a work visa before he could play pro hockey in Europe, and had to be 18 years old to get that visa. Hughes will not turn 18 until the season is almost over. His situation is very different from Matthews. It's the difference between an early year and late year birthday. Europe wasn't an option for Jack. It technically could be next season, but I think we all expect him to be in the NHL next season.

The NCAA was no longer an option once Hughes decided not to accelerate his schooling, as we have said already. So his only two realistic options were NTDP or OHL, and it appears he never seriously considered the latter.

Aaah, thanks for the info guys.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
I never followed McDavid until I heard the Oilers won the lottery in 2015 and I haven't really followed Jack Hughes at all. Since you've watched both at the junior level, what made McDavid the higher level prospect?
I have been fortunate enough to see both Hughes and McDavid play live a lot during their junior careers. While Hughes is an incredible talent, I agree that he's not the level of prospect that McDavid was. McDavid was an amazing talent and the best player on his team as a 15 year old in the OHL, and is the best prospect to come out of that league in many years - - and that includes Stamkos, Tavares, and Kane.

Hughes and Matthews are much closer. Matthews may get the nod due to size and it was pretty much certain he would be a center in the NHL. Both players are worthy of a #1 overall selection, though.

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
I never followed McDavid until I heard the Oilers won the lottery in 2015 and I haven't really followed Jack Hughes at all. Since you've watched both at the junior level, what made McDavid the higher level prospect?

McDavid was one of the players you watched and you just knew. Like there were no weaknesses in his game and it was so obvious that he was an incredible talent that no one ever even questioned it. With Hughes he obviously is much smaller than McDavid. Some people have also voiced their opinions about his defensive game, although I think it is just about average.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I saw McDavid early in his first OHL season as a 15 year old (he entered the league a year early under the Exceptional Player status) and he immediately stood out as the best player on the ice. That's pretty amazing for a 15 year old playing against mostly opponents 17-20 years old. He handled the puck like a veteran, was strong driving the play and was a tremendous skater. As his OHL seasons went by, he only got better -- he just dominated play. I may be a little biased, since he seemed to eat our hometown Plymouth Whalers alive every time Erie came to town, but he was amazing to watch.

That doesn't take anything away from Jack Hughes, who had an incredible first season with the NTDP here in Plymouth and looks very deserving of being the #1 overall pick in the 2019 draft. He's just not at that same level McDavid was when he played junior hockey. No one I've seen play has been at that level. Disclaimer: I never saw Crosby or Lemieux play in junior, as they played in the QMJHL and we've only had the OHL and NTDP here, and Gretzky played in the OHL before that league came to Michigan.

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hughes is a smaller version of Mcdavid. Literally could pass for the smaller brother who got all Connor's gifts. They both had only 1 weakness at the same age, while being off the charts in every other aspect. The 1 weakness is shot velocity.

Hughes doesnt need to gain weight either as some suggestted. Maybe 5 pounds of good muscle. Hughes is so deceptive and his edges are so good , he is extremely hard to hit clean. His hockey sense is insane. With all that skill in his hands and feet, his most dangerous qualities are in his head 1)deception 2)intuition to see things before they happen.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have rarely chimed in on Jack Hughes, but I will say this.

In all my life, my entire time of following US prospects, no player has impressed me or "wow'd" me more than Jack has.

I was a kid watching Kevin Stevens, Joey Mullen, Bobby Carpenter, Jimmy Carson, Phil Housley, Chris Chelios, Pat Lafontaine, Dave Christian, Rod Langway, Craig Janney, Neal Broten, Mark Johnson, Mark Howe, Joel Otto, Al Iafrate, Kevin Hatcher, Gary Suter, Brian Leetch, Brett Hull, Scott Young, etc make it to the league,,,and make it big...then I was old enough to see Mike Modano, Jeremy Roenick, Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Keith Tkachuk, Adam Deadmarsh, Bryan Smolinski, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Bryan Berard, David Legwand, Erik Cole, Tim Connolly, Jamie Langenbrunner, etc...

Then as a wise old man I was lucky enough to witness Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, David Backes, Ryan Kesler, Patrick Kane, James VanRiemsdyk, Max Pacioretty, Joe Pavelski, Jack Johnson, Seth Jones, Charlie McAvoy, Zach Werenski, Clayton Keller, Jack Eichel, Kyle Connor, Auston Matthews, Brock Boeser, Alex DeBrincat, Matthew and Brady Tkachuk, etc etc etc....

Jack Hughes is the most impressive player that I have seen. I feel his impact will be greater than Patrick Kane, who IMO, will be the greatest American born player in 5 years time...none of what I say might mean much, but from following US players closely for 30 years (I was raised on the 1980 Miracle on Ice), Jack Hughes is the best player I have seen....I will stand by that for the next year plus. I am confident he will answer that more than I ever could.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad