C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Did the Kings not do their due dillegence when scouting Vilardi. Obvious top 5 talent at that draft but he fell probably because teams knew about his back and his slow skating.

Im certain they had his medical report.

It seems like someone dropped the ball big time w. The Kings and gambled big time...

Necas Brannstrom and Suzuki were all still available.

Best of luck to a healthy life for Gabe. Hockey is just a game

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Did the Kings not do their due dillegence when scouting Vilardi. Obvious top 5 talent at that draft but he fell probably because teams knew about his back and his slow skating.

Im certain they had his medical report.

It seems like someone dropped the ball big time w. The Kings and gambled big time...

Necas Brannstrom and Suzuki were all still available.

Best of luck to a healthy life for Gabe. Hockey is just a game

You win some and you lose some with these situations.

There were rumors that Martin Kaut would fall this year due to a heart issue. Looking like a pretty good pick.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
God, can this kid catch a break? Outstanding production in the OHL, one of the youngest players in the 2017 draft - almost certainly would have gone top-5, even top-3 in 2018. Looking like it all might be ruined by something beyond everyone’s control. Anyone have a new (or even slightly used) back they can donate to this kid?

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Poor kid has already gone through so much and missed so much time. Hopefully this time off will do him some good.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i really feel for this guy. he seems like a talented hardworking kid who is painfully losing a bright future. definitely have fingers crossed for him to get past this challenge.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Any updates? How is he doing?

No one seems to know a damn thing other than Blake saying it’s a disc/muscle thing??? The Organization is being tight lipped about the kid, which is super rare in this era were info gets leaked about everything and everyone

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Honestly, if it's been thing long and we don't have any positive info like he's merely skating or anything, then it's not looking good.

Backs are a bitch.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Blake said Vilardi is going through protocol to be ready come training camp. What that entitles, means, and where he is right now... No clue or they even partially admitted they don't know what will happen with him yet. Still they reference him come things next year so hopefully for the kid's sake things get figured out and he plays next season.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
One of my favs in the CHL and going into the draft. As a person with back issues I know the pain of trying to play hockey. If you can't bend safely or with certainty, yikes.

Really it's the back stabilizer muscles and connecting hip flexors that are strained by skating. And that's not mentioning any potential disc issues. I'd be interested to read more about the specifics of his situation.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I feel bad for the kid, I doubt he is gonna bounce back. He has a history of injuries, mostly his back. Knowing how tough it is to get that fixed (if there even is a way), his NHL career is in my eyes in jeopardy.

The Kings being dead silent about giving an update, ANY update, worries me. I get the feeling that they don't want to give the fans hope he is gonna pan out. Better to keep being silent than to tell bad news...

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
If he doesnt bounce back, that is a huge loss.

His skating is awful but he is the best playmaker of that whole draft, great hands and an excellent shot on top of it.

Reactions: slumpy43

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel bad for the kid, I doubt he is gonna bounce back. He has a history of injuries, mostly his back. Knowing how tough it is to get that fixed (if there even is a way), his NHL career is in my eyes in jeopardy.

The Kings being dead silent about giving an update, ANY update, worries me. I get the feeling that they don't want to give the fans hope he is gonna pan out. Better to keep being silent than to tell bad news...

They've given updates, but they're 'holding pattern' updates, which goes along with the 6 month plus timetable they talked about before:

It sounds like they're focused on his life and livelihood first. And I personally think they'll just shut him down for this whole season because I can't imagine them throwing a guy in raw to the pro game with no training camps, no development camps, and no conditioning and his injury history.

Sucks, but their best chance--for both his life and career--is to not rush a thing.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still like this pick. High upside and was very highly ranked at the time of the draft. Very few first round picks turn into top half of the league players. There’s some value in getting a bottom half of the league player, but they are much easier to acquire. Vilardi still has the raw talent to be one of the best players from the 2017 draft. LA isn’t losing much if this guy busts completely due to not being able to play. I think this is a better pick than at least a few of the picks before the Kings pick.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If he doesnt bounce back, that is a huge loss.

His skating is awful but he is the best playmaker of that whole draft, great hands and an excellent shot on top of it.

He is absolutely not the best playmaker in that draft and it’s not even close.

Reactions: Bevans

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Technically he can play junior next year, maybe that will be better for him. Say he is ready around December, maybe he can train a little with the Kings, then be sent down to juniors

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Technically he can play junior next year, maybe that will be better for him. Say he is ready around December, maybe he can train a little with the Kings, then be sent down to juniors
I would assume they would want to keep him in house at this point and with their doctors full time no?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Could they do the reverse? Start out in the OHL, and then half a year in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad