C Frederik Gauthier (2013, 21st, TOR) II

Mad Brills*

IIRC< the leafs wanted mantha bad, but he was gone a pick before to detroit.

Mad Brills*

And while he MAY become a solid nhl player, it sure as hell isn't worth a first rounder.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That's not true at all, babs loved gauthier at camp and almost made the team outright.
But he still had some room to grow and improve hence why hes not on the roster.
Your analogy is like why nylander didnt play for most of the leafs last year cause the scrubs were good enough or better then him.

Nylander stayed down because he was enough of a defensive liability still that he wouldn't get the ice time he needed to grow. If all we're talking about is 4th line minutes for Gauthier, what's the hold up? He's already "elite defensively" and his offense is going nowhere but down.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It is not Gauthier's fault he went in the 1st rd. Had he gone in the 2nd rd. I don't think he would so scrutinized as a prospect as former 1st rd picks are concerned. The absolute best case scenario for him is to become a Brian Boyle type of fwd. An acceptable comparable would be Jamie Mcclement. The worse case scenario is if he doesn't progress past the AHL.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Sniped his first goal of the season in his 2nd game played.

The Goat should be the perfect 4th line C for the leafs moving forward. Like what I see from him, especially on the PK

Mar 12, 2009
It is not Gauthier's fault he went in the 1st rd. Had he gone in the 2nd rd. I don't think he would so scrutinized as a prospect as former 1st rd picks are concerned. The absolute best case scenario for him is to become a Brian Boyle type of fwd. An acceptable comparable would be Jamie Mcclement. The worse case scenario is if he doesn't progress past the AHL.

Pretty sure it's just "Jay". That what his name is always listed at anyway. I don't think Gauthier falls to the 2nd round if Leafs don't pick him, he went right around where he was slotted (one or two scouting outlets had him higher). I think the idea was he was a first year player, very solid defensively and had a developing offensive game with strong upside, which never panned out. I think he will be a player, but doesn't have the top 6 potential that was hoped of him. Should be a very good fourth liner that actually has usefulness in specific situations, or if his development curve isn't completely halted, possibly a solid 3rd liner with size and defensive ability. Not a great pick in hindsight, but at least he looks better than Biggs ever did at this level.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

McClement level impact is probably a reasonable expectation, I don't think he's a particularly good comp though because size is really the defining trait for Gauthier. David Steckel was the popular comp a while ago and that seems to make sense - big guy, not a bad skater, good defensively, good on faceoffs, very limited offense

If we get really lucky, he might be Paul Gaustad. The level of impact doesn't go up much in the best case scenario IMO, but he could have a longer career and be effective

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Look at who the Leafs may have drafted. Not many guys have better NHL careers that were drafted behind him.
At if doesn't make as an NHLer, not Gauthier's fault the Leafs drafted him 20th.
Just like it wasn't Phaneuf's fault the Leafs offered 7m, or Clarkson offered 5.25m

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Look at who the Leafs may have drafted. Not many guys have better NHL careers that were drafted behind him.
At if doesn't make as an NHLer, not Gauthier's fault the Leafs drafted him 20th.
Just like it wasn't Phaneuf's fault the Leafs offered 7m, or Clarkson offered 5.25m

I'd probably take most if not every 1st rounder taken after him at this point taking a quick look tbf.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd probably take most if not every 1st rounder taken after him at this point taking a quick look tbf.
I'm not a big fan of the pick, and he probably won't ever be anything more than a match-up/faceoff center. He will probably be able to carve out an NHL career due to these traits. There is a valid reason to believe he will be more valuable in this role long-term than guys who could end up AHL/Euro lifers like Poirer, Klimchuk and Shinkaruk. Gauthier definitely appears to have the lowest ceiling.

Mad Brills*

He's a fine 4C, but long term, you can get guys like him every year for cheap in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad