C Frederik Gauthier (2013, 21st, TOR) II

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
He's getting buried deeper and deeper down Toronto's depth charts.

He's going to need a big year with the Marlies. If he doesn't I wont be surprised if the Leafs cut him loose

Mad Brills*

He's cheap depth in that they'll keep him, but if he struggles this year wonder if he'll ever be a full time nhler though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Morrison was average at best, but I'd say a lot of fault falls on Burke, in what he asked them to scout for outside the first round and that was grit. While the GM rarely scouts outside the very high picks, he does dictate what he wants in players. Gaithier still can turn into a competent 3rd line center with PK responsibilities. Would I prefer Shea Theodore, Andre Burakovsky, Dano, Dickinson, or Petan? No question, but Freddy still has the ability to carve out a decent career. It is frustrating his offensive game never took a big step forward.

If Gauthier is projected as the 3rd best C in a team's organization, I'd say they need some better centers.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
He's cheap depth in that they'll keep him, but if he struggles this year wonder if he'll ever be a full time nhler though.

He wont be getting a free ride with the Marlies. If he struggles to keep his head above water this year (aka, cant secure a role beyond 4th line C), then without a doubt next year he will be surpassed by the next wave of prospects, by which point there wont be any reason to hold onto him.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He sucks but I love the guy. Was accepted to Harvard, does puzzles in his free time, and has a ridiculous accent. Impossible not to pull for him :laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Gauthier is projected as the 3rd best C in a team's organization, I'd say they need some better centers.
Blackhawks are pretty good with Marcus Kruger, whose entire purpose is taking defensive zone faceoffs and trying to flip the ice, even if his point totals are terrible. If Gauthier can do that to get our other centers easier minutes I'll be happy.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
His skill set is still valuable in today's NHL. It all just depends on how he is deployed.

Mr Hockey*

He's getting buried deeper and deeper down Toronto's depth charts.

He's going to need a big year with the Marlies. If he doesn't I wont be surprised if the Leafs cut him loose

He just finished his first year of his 3 year ELC and he was called up to the leafs a couple times and he looked good. Leafs also just drafted 3 or 4 guys a year younger then him.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Gauthier might never be an NHL player, but I can see him carving out a 4th line career somewhere.

I have always said though, if he can become an elite face-off man, and become an elite defender, he'll find a job in the NHL.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
He wont be getting a free ride with the Marlies. If he struggles to keep his head above water this year (aka, cant secure a role beyond 4th line C), then without a doubt next year he will be surpassed by the next wave of prospects, by which point there wont be any reason to hold onto him.

Well there will be a full year of his ELC that will likely give the team a reason to keep him for at least one more year

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Blackhawks are pretty good with Marcus Kruger, whose entire purpose is taking defensive zone faceoffs and trying to flip the ice, even if his point totals are terrible. If Gauthier can do that to get our other centers easier minutes I'll be happy.

Kruger can play a high-pace game, which is really important in the NHL now. I don't see Gauthier being able to do that. Maybe he becomes a 4th line player, but if he's projected as a 3rd line C then I'd be worried about the C pipeline.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Kruger can play a high-pace game, which is really important in the NHL now. I don't see Gauthier being able to do that. Maybe he becomes a 4th line player, but if he's projected as a 3rd line C then I'd be worried about the C pipeline.

Matthews, nylander, kadri.. Not too worried about the c pipeline.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Matthews, nylander, kadri.. Not too worried about the c pipeline.
Yeah, check the original post date. Written pre-lotto win. I still think Gauthier can become a 3rd/4th liner who can flip the ice. Gauthier is actually a decent skater, his most obvious flaws are just an extremely low offensive IQ or ability to create offence. At this point I'm just hoping for a guy who can eat a bunch of D-zone starts and flip the ice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, check the original post date. Written pre-lotto win. I still think Gauthier can become a 3rd/4th liner who can flip the ice. Gauthier is actually a decent skater, his most obvious flaws are just an extremely low offensive IQ or ability to create offence. At this point I'm just hoping for a guy who can eat a bunch of D-zone starts and flip the ice.

Missed the date. Don't think another C changes much. If Gauthier is your projected 3rd line C you have problems down the middle. I think a lot of people neglect the fact that unless you have decent quickness and hockey IQ and puck skills you don't "flip the ice" in today's NHL. You get flipped.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Missed the date. Don't think another C changes much. If Gauthier is your projected 3rd line C you have problems down the middle. I think a lot of people neglect the fact that unless you have decent quickness and hockey IQ and puck skills you don't "flip the ice" in today's NHL. You get flipped.

I think the point being made was that Gauthier isn't the projected 3C. The Leafs have Matthews-Nylander-Kadri which looks to be a pretty ridiculous trio.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

While he's not exactly a big scorer, IMO, Kruger is much more skilled than Gauthier. That's why Kruger can play on the 3rd line if necessary. He has enough skill to not look out of place on a line that requires 20+ points per year to be effective.

If Gauthier has any chance of carving out an NHL career, a guy like Paul Gaustad is probably a better template for him to follow. Big guy who is dominant on faceoffs, but who has very limited ability with the puck and is a bit slow.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
How is his faceoff ability?

When drafted I proposed he would be at best Guastad type player or a Malholtra type if he got his skating down better.

I'm still hoping he becomes his projected position just for my own ego predictions.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
He could be an ideal 4th line center who PKs. Which is something we need. He is very very smart defensively, he is great on draws, and in the few games they had him called up for his skating and lack of speed really didn't appear as obviously as I feared. He can get up and down the ice pretty effectively.

I do think he'll play a few seasons for the leafs as a 4th center/depth guy. He'd be mighty useful in a long playoff run, especially parked in front of the net screening goalies.

Mr Hockey*

At this point I don't think he makes the NHL, at least not with the Leafs.

I think he makes the NHL but just not with the leafs...Habs? Babcock says. he has to transition his game over to the offence quicker during play.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't see anything wrong with him. Sure he's not a #1 C, but he's going to be a big strong defensive 4th line C and anchor our PK for a long time. You need quality depth like that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I projected Gauthier as a bottom six shutdown center who could take on heavy minutes, important draws, be a great PKer, while being able to minimize scoring chances against with a decent possession game.

He's still on that route, although his development has been a bit less than ideal for that. I want to see him develop his ability to dominate the boards. That's the last big hurdle for him, as that's a missing key point in his possession game, with the skating issues fixed.

If he can't take that step, I don't see him as more than a fourth liner for a few years before fading away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad