C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He started out slow too. I think he only had 9 points in his first 11 or so games. with 1 goal.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Elias has 20 goals and 26 assist in his last 33 games. Nice

He said he was nervous at the start of the season playing with the likes of Pesonen, nervous in making mistakes. Coach had a talk with him and the rest is history

That is just insane. What a player.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I could see elias surpass nico couple of years from now. People will lose their mind now when I said it.
Better duck for cover after saying that. You'll have a mob after you

With that said, I'll agree with you. Flame me all you want, I see EP becoming the best player from that draft year.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
It's great to see Pettersson thrive in the SHL. The season he is having is unprecedented.

I will say this about those who justifiably express concerns about his strength: the worry is not necessary about his weight, but about his ability to push through traffic, especially at the NHL level where there is much less room to operate than in the SHL and opponents are generally larger and more powerful.

Elias is a finesse player whose game is all about maneuvering around the opposition and creating chances with skill. He has a terrific shot, hands, and vision, but I would not say that he is the most mobile skater.

On NHL regulation-sized ice, I have never seen him win board battles or fight through traffic to get to where he needs to be. While one can not rule out his ability to do so, he remains unproven. The NHL is becoming a fast, skilled league, but players either need to be quick enough to elude the opposition's check or be strong enough to push through it. Not even Connor McDavid, with his quick hands and explosive skating ability, can always maneuver around the opposition -- one would have to imagine how much more difficult it would be for him if his skating was only average.

To see Elias Pettersson become the NHL's next great Swedish superstar would be special, especially for the Vancouver Canucks franchise whose heritage is deeply interwoven with Swedish connections. However, the degree to which Pettersson's game might be impacted by an inability to find time and space in traffic remains a concern. By NHL standards, the World Junior game is completely wide open; the NHL is a tight-checking league.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
It's great to see Pettersson thrive in the SHL. The season he is having is unprecedented.

I will say this about those who justifiably express concerns about his strength: the worry is not necessary about his weight, but about his ability to push through traffic, especially at the NHL level where there is much less room to operate than in the SHL and opponents are generally larger and more powerful.

Elias is a finesse player whose game is all about maneuvering around the opposition and creating chances with skill. He has a terrific shot, hands, and vision, but I would not say that he is the most mobile skater.

On NHL regulation-sized ice, I have never seen him win board battles or fight through traffic to get to where he needs to be. While one can not rule out his ability to do so, he remains unproven. The NHL is becoming a fast, skilled league, but players either need to be quick enough to elude the opposition's check or be strong enough to push through it. Not even Connor McDavid, with his quick hands and explosive skating ability, can always maneuver around the opposition -- one would have to imagine how much more difficult it would be for him if his skating was only average.
Backstrom and sedins are not fast skaters

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Backstrom and sedins are not fast skaters
The Sedins have always have excellent strength on their skates, making them a hassle to play against along the boards. Their power game has always been massively underrated.

Nicklas Backstrom weighs 210 lbs. He is heavy enough on his skates to push through traffic.

One can't rule out an eventual increase to a sufficient level of strength in the NHL for Pettersson. Kyle Turris and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins both took several years to mature into 190-lb players with sufficient balance on their skates not to be impeded as easily by the opposition.

Pettersson either needs to become quicker or much stronger, though, than he currently is. He struggles in traffic, and one off-season might not be enough for him to completely overcome this issue. The NHL opposition closes in so quickly on the puck carrier and on loose pucks that he'll be in traffic much more than he has ever been in his hockey career.

I'm not entirely sure he will be ready for the NHL next season.

Last edited:

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Oh boy more negativity just after he eclipses peter forsberg
I've been discussing this issue on various platforms before he was even drafted, so this has nothing to do with milestones.

I also support the Vancouver Canucks, but I have always been honest with my assessment of players.

Reactions: JAS 39 Gripen

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
The Sedins have always have excellent strength on their skates, making them a hassle to play against along the boards. Their power game has always been massively underrated.

Nicklas Backstrom weighs 210 lbs. He is heavy enough on his skates to push through traffic.

One can't rule out an eventual increase to a sufficient level of strength in the NHL for Pettersson. Kyle Turris and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins both took several years to mature into 190-lb players with sufficient balance on their skates not to be impeded as easily by the opposition.

Pettersson either needs to become quicker or much stronger, though, than he currently is. He struggles in traffic, and one off-season might not be enough for him to completely overcome this issue. The NHL opposition closes in so quickly on the puck carrier and on loose pucks that he'll be in traffic much more than he has ever been in his hockey career.

I'm not entirely sure he will be ready for the NHL next season.
He needs to add lowerbody strenght for sure that is very obvious.

Reactions: Peeps

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Wow this guy writes incredibly well thought post and this is all that you reply with?
it's the same posts we have been hearing before. It is not well thought at all.

btw, pettersson is going to be better than nylander, suck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad