C Easton Cowan - London Knights, OHL (2023, 28th, TOR)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

So the question being...

If you were drafted out of the CHL, you can't play in the AHL, until either you've played four seasons in the CHL, or you are 20 on January 1st....

So, Easton won't be 20 on January 1st, until 2026... which "might" suggest three more OHL seasons, and AHL eligibility in 2026/27.

However, he played 7 OHL regular season games in 2021/22 and 5 playoff games. Does this officially count as an "OHL Season"? If so, he has two more OHL seasons left, and he'd be eligible for the Marlies, for the 2025/26 season.

So the question for the board being... is 7 OHL games, enough to be considered a season?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
""

So the question being...

If you were drafted out of the CHL, you can't play in the AHL, until either you've played four seasons in the CHL, or you are 20 on January 1st....

So, Easton won't be 20 on January 1st, until 2026... which "might" suggest three more OHL seasons, and AHL eligibility in 2026/27.

However, he played 7 OHL regular season games in 2021/22 and 5 playoff games. Does this officially count as an "OHL Season"? If so, he has two more OHL seasons left, and he'd be eligible for the Marlies, for the 2025/26 season.

So the question for the board being... is 7 OHL games, enough to be considered a season?

He turns 20 on May 20th, 2025. He will play 2023-24 and 2024-25 in the OHL. If he goes back for another year after that, it will be as an overager. Given his draft status, if that happens, it means something went wrong.

Reactions: LDN and Fogelhund

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Tonight's the first time I've watched a full game of him.

Very good skater, Very good hands, good hockeysense and plays with a ton of grit.

He's playing Center in tonights game and he's been dominant, creating tons of chances and could easily have 3-4 goals.

There was alot of rage by Leafs fans at the time of the draft but this is looking like a real quality selection.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Very good skater, Very good hands, good hockeysense and plays with a ton of grit.

He's playing Center in tonights game and he's been dominant, creating tons of chances and could easily have 3-4 goals.

There was alot of rage by Leafs fans at the time of the draft but this is looking like a real quality selection.
The rage = people who never saw the dude play and just take online arbitrary rankings as gold.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

That game was quintessential Cowan. The speed/tenacity/smarts to be in the right place at all times across the entire ice.

He was easily the best player on the ice in a game that featured Knies, Stankoven, and Bourque.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
That game was quintessential Cowan. The speed/tenacity/smarts to be in the right place at all times across the entire ice.

He was easily the best player on the ice in a game that featured Knies, Stankoven, and Bourque.
He was hands down the best player in that game. Small sample but he looks like someone who can play 100% play at the next

Reactions: zman77

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
He was hands down the best player in that game. Small sample but he looks like someone who can play 100% play at the next

This is probably selfish thinking as a Knights fan, but he will need the two years in junior to build up his game strength and shot before the NHL. He’s a player that needs to play with physicality to be effective in the corners, and while he’s had no issues as a 16 or 17 year old in junior, going into the corners against men is a different beast. His lack of a pro shot last year was the one weakness I had on him. Who knows if it’s made the jump this year, but it’s the only other limiting factor for him.

He’s what I hoped Ty Dellandrea would be.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
listed at 5'11" and 185 lbs at the Leafs camp. Maybe a bit on the smaller side but definitely not a smurf. Could easily see him hitting 6'0" at 195 lbs by the time he's ready to turn pro.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's been very noticeable.

In the first the Leafs had 5 shots, 1 goal and Cowan had 4 shots and the 1 goal.

Looks like a nice complimentary piece in the future, but this is just 1 game, so who knows. Maybe he busts, maybe he plays way better, or maybe he's traded.

Reactions: authentic

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Knew nothing of him in the draft other than Leafs appeared to reach based on Pre-Draft rankings (which was a bit underwhelming). I am pleasantly surprised thus far. Seems like a potential 2nd-3rd line swiss army type player in the future. Plays with a ton of heart and clearly not afraid to go to the front of the net.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Goes to show you just how bipolar Leafs fans can b Go from bashing on the kid because “draft rankings didn’t have him high to overrating him after one preseason gamenever change

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

He was easily the best player on the ice tonight in a game that featured Matthews

This is probably selfish thinking as a Knights fan, but he will need the two years in junior to build up his game strength and shot before the NHL. He’s a player that needs to play with physicality to be effective in the corners, and while he’s had no issues as a 16 or 17 year old in junior, going into the corners against men is a different beast. His lack of a pro shot last year was the one weakness I had on him. Who knows if it’s made the jump this year, but it’s the only other limiting factor for him.

He’s what I hoped Ty Dellandrea would be.

Yeah I don't think he "needs" it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad