C Easton Cowan - London Knights, OHL (2023, 28th, TOR)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Much of the work from these lists does not cover the CHL playoffs. Once he was given a bigger role, he was a major reason the Knights made it so far without their #1 goalie.

Regardless of the end ranking, the entire 26-60 ranked players are much the same level. Just comes down to preference for certain attributes.
Last pick of ours HockeyProspect.com loved of ours was Knies. They had Cowan 29th.

Can't wait to see how people are talking next year when he gets the usual veteran Knights player points bump, and by all accounts the Hunters love him.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Has Wyatt Johnston turned into the next Brayden Point? The player everyone uses as a comparable even though no one ever seems to do it again?
You can reference the second post in this thread for my opinion on Cowan from before this season as my rationale. I have felt he’s a first round talent since his short stint with the Knights as a 16 year old.

I don’t think this is a reach, and I don’t think if the Leafs traded back 10 spots he would have still been there.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I am of the belief that he's the best of the Knights' 05 players. Cowan is the type of player that is always in the right place at the right time. I doubt he'll get the powerplay time needed to put up big numbers this year and push his way into the first round, but he feels like a player that goes in the third and turns into a steal.
I trust you. Let's go.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Last pick of ours HockeyProspect.com loved of ours was Knies. They had Cowan 29th.

Can't wait to see how people are talking next year when he gets the usual veteran Knights player points bump, and by all accounts the Hunters love him.
Absolutely. When you're 17 y.o. rookie and Dale Hunter consistently puts you on the ice in the last minute of the game whether he needs you to score a goal or needs to protect a 1 goal lead...you're a damn good hockey player.

Cowan is a gamer and as much as I hate the Leafs that's a good pickup for them.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
1688010978315.png

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
God forbid they pick anybody but a small forward that does minimal work physically. It’s not like they don’t have an entire roster of those or have picked lots of them in recent years with no success…

• Haha
Reactions: Willy89 and bert

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
God forbid they pick anybody but a small forward that does minimal work physically. It’s not like they don’t have an entire roster of those or have picked lots of them in recent years with no success…
Holy moly this is a bad take. Easton Cowan is a kid you absolutely go to war with. He's tenacious and willing to go to the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and score goals. He's not shy to engage physically whatsoever. Plus he consistently makes good decisions with the puck at top speed - and he has plenty of speed to burn.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I always give a little extra credit to players who were rookies in their league during their draft years and didn't have that year prior to learn the systems and the league in general. Nobody ever mentions this but IMO it's something to look for. He could see a big jump in his production next year.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Holy moly this is a bad take. Easton Cowan is a kid you absolutely go to war with. He's tenacious and willing to go to the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and score goals. He's not shy to engage physically whatsoever. Plus he consistently makes good decisions with the puck at top speed - and he has plenty of speed to burn.
Wake me up when he contributes to this team in a positive way. It’ll be awhile, if ever. They should be drafting on need. They’ve drafted enough sub-6’0 wingers. I’ve watched him play, I just don’t see it.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I caught about 10 Knights games this year and he had impressed me by the end of the season. He really gained momentum as the season progressed and stepped it up in the playoffs.

I had him more in the 45-60 range (late 2nd rounder). It was a stretch drafting him that high but people have to realize that it is not always easy to trade down. Their are still plenty of good players left available so teams below the Leafs may have been content to just wait for their pick as opposed to trading assets.

Us as fans tend to have our opinions swayed by rankings and mock drafts. In the NHL all teams have their own scouting departments and they don’t scout based upon rankings.

Reactions: Lilou and Lauro

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I was listening to the draft on the NHL network while doing some late work. This pick surprised me a bit, but, from what I have read, the kid really played well down the stretch and seems like a real gamer. I like this pick for Toronto, and I am not a fan of the Leafs. He seems like the kind of guy that they maybe need to help stir the drink with some of their high octane pffensive players. Time will tell..

Reactions: Lilou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad