C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Okay well then your point is pure whataboutism. The issue of what Gauthier should have done differently if he was more mature or had more integrity has been discussed ad nauseum. You're using a separate discussion about how shitty and pathetic it is that some grown adults respond to things that upset them by making death threats as a springboard to bring the focus back on why the kid is shitty.

And insofar as Gauthier should have expected it, just because it might have been an expected outcome wouldn't make it not upsetting to read that some randoms threatened to end your life. I don't get what's so hard about this. The kid is 19 years old and that's not a normal occurrence that just happens to people all the time. So I don't really get why you and the Ottawa fan are acting like he should be equipped to just "get over it" at 19 years old.

Yet again, I'll say it "Death threats are NOT OK!"

That's 3 times now, hopefully this one takes.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They, like Gauthier, are attempting to take the highlight off of his shameful actions.
Oh god forbid we talk about two separate elements of this drama. Do you need everyone to make this an echo chamber about why Cutter Gauthier is a shitty person for you to feel satisfied and move on with your life?
Yet again, I'll say it "Death threats are NOT OK!"

That's 3 times now, hopefully this one takes.
Yeah I understand that part of what you're saying. I'm talking about the other things you said. You didn't make one point and move on.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Oh god forbid we talk about two separate elements of this drama. Do you need everyone to make this an echo chamber about why Cutter Gauthier is a shitty person for you to feel satisfied and move on with your life?

Yeah I understand that part of what you're saying. I'm talking about the other things you said.

The others things? You mean , as in Gauthier acted like a coward and needs to man up and explain himself instead of hiding?

People threatening him with death are idiots, there's no excuse for it.

But he needs to come clean as to why he wanted to play for Philly, then did an about face and didn't, without giving any reason whatsoever. And his parents should be explaining to him that this is what men do, not hide and hope it goes away.

BringBackTheIceman

Mar 24, 2013
The others things? You mean , as in Gauthier acted like a coward and needs to man up and explain himself instead of hiding?

But he needs to come clean as to why he wanted to play for Philly, then did an about face and didn't, without giving any reason whatsoever. And his parents should be explaining to him that this is what men do, not hide and hope it goes away.
He actually doesn't have to do any of that lol

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I guess that all depends on what kind of person you are.
Gauthier is so special that he's going to be the lone top 5 pick to have ever pulled this on a team after he was drafted without giving them heads up notice, in combination with being the only one to have not given a reason when he pulls it.

He's so special man. He's more special than any NHL player that has ever been drafted. He's above everyone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Okay well then your point is pure whataboutism. The issue of what Gauthier should have done differently if he was more mature or had more integrity has been discussed ad nauseum. You're using a separate discussion about how shitty and pathetic it is that some grown adults respond to things that upset them by making death threats as a springboard to bring the focus back on why the kid is shitty.

And insofar as Gauthier should have expected it, just because it might have been an expected outcome wouldn't make it not upsetting to read that some randoms threatened to end your life. I don't get what's so hard about this. The kid is 19 years old and that's not a normal occurrence that just happens to people all the time. So I don't really get why you and the Ottawa fan are acting like he should be equipped to just "get over it" at 19 years old.

Agreed.

In real terms, staying with a work or social relationship out of fear of the reprisals of leaving that relationship isn't a winning mix either. There is nothing about a hockey player changing teams that should ever be okay with fans condoning death threats toward him or the things said directed at Hayes. Nothing.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Cutter can do whatever he wants. If he doesn´t wanna play for Flyers, fine, just trade him. You all doing like teams didn´t treat players as articles. It´s part of a business, they always say. But if it comes from player, everybody cries. Just did what´s best for him and that´s okay for me.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

But why does that point have to arise from a discussion about why making death threats is pathetic and deplorable behavior if not to at least somewhat rationalize it? I know the answer already, FlyguyOX spelled it out in simple terms. Too much discussion about the shitty behavior of others distracts from the purportedly shitty behavior of Gauthier since that's all anyone is allowed to talk about with this situation, apparently.

Whether Gauthier demonstrated strong or weak character with his actions, to me, is a very separate matter from the social commentary on how sad it is that grown adults are so developmentally challenged that they feel the need to use death threats as an outlet for their disappointment. You can have a valid conversation about both, but relating the two in any fashion reeks of whataboutism. And if you want to play that game, I think it's valid to ask why Michkov refused to play for Arizona without giving a reason or why Lindros refused to play for Quebec and ended up on the Flyers without giving a reason until his career was already over.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Can't help but think the kid made the right choice in leaving. How can so many fans simultaneously jump to conclusions and blame the guy that decides to leave over looking at your own sports org and wondering how badly they messed up? Just because they together came out and systematically put the blame on a teenager?

I would think that in 2024 a top NCAA prospect is entitled to get his ELC when he feels like he wants to turn pro. You see it every time with college kids, teams are on the edge with regards to their treatment because they can bail on you so easily. How did the Flyers brass miss this I have no clue. Ducks have awarded all their NCAA prospects their ELC post college season for this exact reason. I don't know who's more entitled here, Gauthier or Flyers, but one is supposed to be held to a far higher standard here. It's hilarious that fans seem to find it the opposite.

Last edited:

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
But why does that point have to arise from a discussion about why making death threats is pathetic and deplorable behavior if not to at least somewhat rationalize it? I know the answer already, FlyguyOX spelled it out in simple terms. Too much discussion about the shitty behavior of others distracts from the purportedly shitty behavior of Gauthier since that's all anyone is allowed to talk about with this situation, apparently.

Whether Gauthier demonstrated strong or weak character with his actions, to me, is a very separate matter from the social commentary on how sad it is that grown adults are so developmentally challenged that they feel the need to use death threats as an outlet for their disappointment. You can have a valid conversation about both, but relating the two in any fashion reeks of whataboutism. And if you want to play that game, I think it's valid to ask why Michkov refused to play for Arizona without giving a reason or why Lindros refused to play for Quebec and ended up on the Flyers without giving a reason until his career was already over.

The point comes up about Gauthier not wanting to play because....this is a hockey forum.

I've already gone over the "not right to death threat" enough times, I've made it perfectly clear it's not ok with me, you seem bent on arguing it's even not oker with you. Ok, you don't like the death threats even more than I don't like the death threats...by, what, 3%? 30%? 3000% Whatever makes you happier.

Michkov didn't say "Yes, I'd love to play there...waste your very high precious draft pick on me and watch me ghost you". If Gauthier would have said that to the Flyers, up front, we wouldn't be here would we?

Lindros had meddling parents who turned their kid into a spoiled brat . I thought what he did was wrong.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Can't help but think the kid made the right choice in leaving. How can so many fans simultaneously jump to conclusions and blame the guy that decides to leave over looking at your own sports org and wondering how badly they messed up? Just because they together came out and systematically put the blame on a teenager?

I would think that in 2024 a top NCAA prospect is entitled to get his ELC when he feels like he wants to turn pro. You see it every time with college kids, teams are on the edge with regards to their treatment because they can bail on you so easily. How did the Flyers brass miss this I have no clue. Ducks have awarded all their NCAA prospects their ELC post college season for this exact reason. I don't know who's more entitled here, Gaucher or Flyers, but one is supposed to be held to a far higher standard here. It's hilarious that fans seem to find it the opposite.
He and his coach gave the flyers brass the impression he WANTED to return to college.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The point comes up about Gauthier not wanting to play because....this is a hockey forum.

I've already gone over the "not right to death threat" enough times, I've made it perfectly clear it's not ok with me, you seem bent on arguing it's even not oker with you. Ok, you don't like the death threats even more than I don't like the death threats...by, what, 3%? 30%? 3000% Whatever makes you happier.

Michkov didn't say "Yes, I'd love to play there...waste your very high precious draft pick on me and watch me ghost you". If Gauthier would have said that to the Flyers, up front, we wouldn't be here would we?

Lindros had meddling parents who turned their kid into a spoiled brat . I thought what he did was wrong.
That's because you're focusing on the wrong part of my post and completely misunderstanding my point. It's not about whether you disapprove of death threats or to what degree. I really don't give a shit how strongly you feel about it. The point is using that as a springboard to circle things back to Gauthier's character or lack thereof is either deflection or whataboutism. You can absolutely talk about both but when the scope of your point is colored by a statement like "yeah well one thing done by X is bad but if Y didn't do Z then..." you obfuscate the discussion of one thing by correlating the two and then get to the point where the reader implies that Y deserves some share of the despicable treatment they endured because they also did something unsavory. Whether you meant to or not is an entirely different matter.

The death threats are bad and pathetic behavior. That shouldn't be up for debate. Whether Gauthier's behavior is excusable is up for debate based on the circumstances here, but there's nothing wrong with feeling that what he did was inexcusable. Relating the two to suggest that he should have expected it and therefore should get over it and not mention it to the media, is where the problem here lies. That's a lot to ask from someone still growing up who is facing a societal situation that people rarely experience.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gauthier is so special that he's going to be the lone top 5 pick to have ever pulled this on a team after he was drafted without giving them heads up notice, in combination with being the only one to have not given a reason when he pulls it.

He's so special man. He's more special than any NHL player that has ever been drafted. He's above everyone.
I guess you've never heard of Blake Wheeler?

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
He and his coach gave the flyers brass the impression he WANTED to return to college.
Did you mean to prove my point, this is exactly what I mean. It is contradicted by latest report by Elliotte Friedman. I don't know one way or the other. Now that he's on the Ducks I hope they make him feel appreciated. That's how you get the most out of people you employ.

Reactions: MD93

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I dunno. It sounds like the Flyers are the ex that didn't want the relationship to end even though the org was told long ago the relationship ended. There's just a lot of coping going on. It sucks to lose a prospect you invested time in, but at least the Flyers are receiving an NHL d-man who's been playing top pairing in Anaheim and a 2025 2nd round pick.

Prospects can change their minds, especially the NCAA Harvard ones. The only thing an org can hope for is that the prospect informs the team they don't want to be part of the org early so they can at least regain some assets. Could pull a Justin Schultz, where he lulled the Ducks that he loved them and would sign with them only to wait out the signing period to become an UFA to sign anywhere else.

Anaheim recently had a college senior inform us he wasn't going to sign with us before his college career ended and the Ducks were able to trade him away for a draft pick. Thrun to SJ for SJ's 2024 3rd round pick. There were inklings that Thrun wasn't all bought in the previous off-season to be a Duck, but fellow collegiate senior to be D LaCombe was. (Of course, selecting three D-men in the first two rounds of the 2022 draft on top of having Zellweger, Hinds, and Moore in tow made it a bleak long future with the Ducks for either Thrun or LaCombe.)

Similarly, LW Nesterenko informed the Wild that he wouldn't sign because he didn't see a quick path to the NHL in the Minny org. He was traded to the Ducks.

Also last year, the Pens and Ducks swapped late round prospects' rights. Pens' 5th round pick in 2019 RW Caulfield for Ducks' 4th round pick in 2020 RD Nickl. Caulfield was set to to play a fifth season in college as a Wild prospect, due to COVID waiver. Guess the Wild weren't gonna sign Caulfield and traded him to the Ducks when the Ducks inquired about Caulfield. Once the trade was completed, Caulfield was promptly signed. The Pens org changed their mind at the last second, but there wasn't a social media storm that the Pens' org changed its mind on its own prospect.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I dunno. It sounds like the Flyers are the ex that didn't want the relationship to end even though the org was told long ago the relationship ended. There's just a lot of coping going on. It sucks to lose a prospect you invested time in, but at least the Flyers are receiving an NHL d-man who's been playing top pairing in Anaheim and a 2025 2nd round pick.

Prospects can change their minds, especially the NCAA Harvard ones. The only thing an org can hope for is that the prospect informs the team they don't want to be part of the org early so they can at least regain some assets. Could pull a Justin Schultz, where he lulled the Ducks that he loved them and would sign with them only to wait out the signing period to become an UFA to sign anywhere else.

Anaheim recently had a college senior inform us he wasn't going to sign with us before his college career ended and the Ducks were able to trade him away for a draft pick. Thrun to SJ for SJ's 2024 3rd round pick. There were inklings that Thrun wasn't all bought in the previous off-season to be a Duck, but fellow collegiate senior to be D LaCombe was. (Of course, selecting three D-men in the first two rounds of the 2022 draft on top of having Zellweger, Hinds, and Moore in tow made it a bleak long future with the Ducks for either Thrun or LaCombe.)

Similarly, LW Nesterenko informed the Wild that he wouldn't sign because he didn't see a quick path to the NHL in the Minny org. He was traded to the Ducks.

Also last year, the Pens and Ducks swapped late round prospects' rights. Pens' 5th round pick in 2019 RW Caulfield for Ducks' 4th round pick in 2020 RD Nickl. Caulfield was set to to play a fifth season in college as a Wild prospect, due to COVID waiver. Guess the Wild weren't gonna sign Caulfield and traded him to the Ducks when the Ducks inquired about Caulfield. Once the trade was completed, Caulfield was promptly signed. The Pens org changed their mind at the last second, but there wasn't a social media storm that the Pens' org changed its mind on its own prospect.

Jack McBain did it with Minnesota and was moved to Arizona. Erik Portillo did it with Buffalo and was moved to LA -- hell, Cal Petersen now on the Flyers did it with Buffalo and was also moved to LA going back further. John Marino told the Oilers he wouldn't sign there and they dealt him to the Pens. Fox with both Calgary and Carolina, Wheeler, it's happened. Hell, Lindros wouldn't have been a Flyer if he hadn't pushed to be moved.

It happens enough that it isn't new. Finding out why the player made the decision would probably be in the best interest of the Flyers current management group to make sure they mitigate it happening again.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

100%. Lindros was a punk and so is Gauthier...IMO, of course. Karma got Eric. Let's hope it does Gauthier too. If one believes in that kind of thing...

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't understand how casuals on social media are drawing the comparison to Lindros.

On the surface, yes they both got moves to other franchises, but the story of Lindros goes further than that.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I don't understand how casuals on social media are drawing the comparison to Lindros.

On the surface, yes they both got moves to other franchises, but the story of Lindros goes further than that.
Personally? First to set the record straight. I also draw this comparison formally, and outside of social media. :sarcasm:

But seriously, the premise is exactly the same between the two not withstanding differences in small details. One should understand that if this was the norm with draft picks, it would destroy the NHL.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Personally? First to set the record straight. I also draw this comparison formally, and outside of social media. :sarcasm:

But seriously, the premise is exactly the same between the two not withstanding differences in small details. One should understand that if this was the norm with draft picks, it would destroy the NHL.

Why do you even care?

I actually appreciate this kind of honesty. If I were drafted, there's quite a few places I wouldn't want to play

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013

Is it ok for Michkov to choose where he wants to go because he did it before an arbitrary date?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad