C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With respect, Ive seen the players extensively over the past two years, Ive diagnosed everything about their game.

You have your opinions, which ive tried to respect, but its getting a bit over the top. Lets not try to tear down a 15 year old kid just because you dont enjoy him. To be honest, there is no reason to tear down one 15 year old to celebrate another player.

I love Ho-Sang's individual skill set. He oozes confidence and has the ability to dazzle. Did you see Taylor Hall in Kingston or Stamkos in Markham in their draft years? They where similarly as dominent as Ho-Sang, but did not have someone labelling them as 'selfish'. I have seen those players and how they grew, and see a similar path for Ho-Sang.

I have my opinions, you have yours, as I have said, ive tried to repsect yours, but it seems as thou anyone who posts anything positive about Ho-Sang is followed by your tearing him down.

Lets relax a bit, its minor midget. Players have played individual styles dating back to current NHL stars like Stamkos, Tavares and Seguin. If you saw them play, and put Ho-Sang's play beside them, you can see what everyone is very excited by Ho-Sang.

I was sitting beside an OHL GM yesterday at Mastercard talking about the Marlies, and he told me that the two players are the best players to come through the GTHL in 10 years. Thats an amazing thing to think about.

BOTH players have a great future, so lets celebrate BOTH. I think thats fair, especially when taking about 15 year olds.

Ive tried to respect yours as well. But dont act like your right and no one else can talk. U like hosang over Mcdavid and im the opposite. Its hockey talk. We all see hockey through a different lense which is interesting. I want HO-Sang to succeed and do well with himself lets not get carried away and suggest im tearing anyone down. I dont see any weakness in this kids game right now except "team play" which to me is a big deal. I do point out his selfish play(which is not a tear down) that to u seems like dazzling or confidence which is fine. To each his own. Trust me im sure his OHL coach will get on him for this if this is even displayed at that level. As pointed out before he did defer to his older team-mates last year. He will become a better player for it if he utilizes his team-mates. But lets be real...he is very selfish right now.

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Ive tried to respect yours as well. But dont act like your right and no one else can talk. U like hosang over Mcdavid and im the opposite. Its hockey talk. We all see hockey through a different lense which is interesting. I want HO-Sang to succeed and do well with himself lets not get carried away and suggest im tearing anyone down. I dont see any weakness in this kids game right now except "team play" which to me is a big deal. I do point out his selfish play(which is not a tear down) that to u seems like dazzling or confidence which is fine. To each his own. Trust me im sure his OHL coach will get on him for this if this is even displayed at that level. As pointed out before he did defer to his older team-mates last year. He will become a better player for it if he utilizes his team-mates. But lets be real...he is very selfish right now.

My only issue is the fact that he is 15 years old old, and as another poster pointed out, your posts seem very personal in nature. We certainly can agree to disagree, I have no issue with that, but I think my issue, and others, is that most of your Ho-Sang related posts seem to be really negative. Perhaps thats me (and them).

Either way, he is one of the two best players to come through the GTHL in the past 10 years, lets all celebrate that.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have to agree with Tigers. I had a 92 and have a 96, currently in the GTHL. Both players are absolutely the best players that Ive seen live, including some very good 92's.

I dont know if its done on purpose, but the constant promotion of one player while tearing down another is really, really is odd. Im not sure what the motivation would be for that, especially for someone who isnt attached to the team. I think both have great futures ahead of them, and to sit behind a keyboard attacking one by name seems pretty over the top to me. Thats simply my opinion.

especially for someone who isnt attached to the team? Actually i am, but thanks for wasting my time assuming things that are not true.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
My only issue is the fact that he is 15 years old old, and as another poster pointed out, your posts seem very personal in nature. We certainly can agree to disagree, I have no issue with that, but I think my issue, and others, is that most of your Ho-Sang related posts seem to be really negative. Perhaps thats me (and them).

Either way, he is one of the two best players to come through the GTHL in the past 10 years, lets all celebrate that.

Ive talked about him not being a team player. I have no idea why your so sensitive to this and personally i dont care. I have had many chats with over 15 scouts about this very topic and me and them both love to project what will come of it and him. This is all love man. I love hockey. I love that team as well. Ho-sang is a fantastic person and phenom, chill out. Id draft Mcdavid over him, others may not. Thats fine with me.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

This kid is an actual phenom. Hes a 97' playing for the 96' toronto marlboros AAA (best team in North America) and hes there best player. I bet he will get exceptional status next season simply because he is already dominating at a year up age group. He amazing. heres a link from game 7 of the gthl playoffs.

http://vimeo.com/20658514

wow...those kids goal celebrations....seriously? :shakehead

and thats midget AAA? half those kids can't even shoot

Miller4Gold

Mar 5, 2010
Buffalo
especially for someone who isnt attached to the team? Actually i am, but thanks for wasting my time assuming things that are not true.

I figured that you where, But you have never came out and stated that, so I didn't want to make an assumption.

I'm a hockey dad, I interact with other Hockey dads. There are a reason that we are not paid for our opinions on Hockey. Bob McKenzie has an excellent read about why us hockey dads can be a bit over the top at times. I respect that you have yours, and 100 percent think that you are entitled to it, but as I originally said, reading your posts, you come off very negative. Id love to read some of your thought on Ho-Sang from a positive standpoint. Does he do anything well? To this point I haven't seen much talk of that from you. Id love to read some, I'm sure that you have a great read on his positive attributes.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Ive talked about him not being a team player. I have no idea why your so sensitive to this and personally i dont care. I have had many chats with over 15 scouts about this very topic and me and them both love to project what will come of it and him. This is all love man. I love hockey. I love that team as well. Ho-sang is a fantastic person and phenom, chill out. Id draft Mcdavid over him, others may not. Thats fine with me.

Thats awesome of you to say.

With regard to selfishness, its no different then so many other players that I have seen. Stamkos was the same, Hall was the same. Seguin played a similar game. Ryan Murphy use to skate the puck end to end on a whim. I saw all those players come and go, and it was not an issue for them, so I dont see why it would be an issue for Ho-Sang.

As ive said, both are phenominal players, and in my opinion, will be top players in the OHL.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I figured that you where, But you have never came out and stated that, so I didn't want to make an assumption.

I'm a hockey dad, I interact with other Hockey dads. There are a reason that we are not paid for our opinions on Hockey. Bob McKenzie has an excellent read about why us hockey dads can be a bit over the top at times. I respect that you have yours, and 100 percent think that you are entitled to it, but as I originally said, reading your posts, you come off very negative. Id love to read some of your thought on Ho-Sang from a positive standpoint. Does he do anything well? To this point I haven't seen much talk of that from you. Id love to read some, I'm sure that you have a great read on his positive attributes.

Actually you figured i was not, also u dont know my connection with the team . Again why assume? U assume im a dad now. Id prefer to talk about hockey players and AAA not this junk.

I have him ranked #2. Doesnt that say something about Hosang? Im rare its not all positive with this kid and some dont like it. I think some people should broaden there view. This is not personal this is hockey talk. Ive stated many times i see only one weakness in his game. The rest is very tight. Its pretty obvious that HOsang is elite talent.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Thats awesome of you to say.

With regard to selfishness, its no different then so many other players that I have seen. Stamkos was the same, Hall was the same. Seguin played a similar game. Ryan Murphy use to skate the puck end to end on a whim. I saw all those players come and go, and it was not an issue for them, so I dont see why it would be an issue for Ho-Sang.

As ive said, both are phenominal players, and in my opinion, will be top players in the OHL.

Good point. I wondered at times this year if Hosang was bored. Many times i wondered if he is just bored out there. He looked bored. I wasnt sure why he would do certain things out there. Im not sure how challenged he feels at times even though i feel he should be. Which may or may not be a reason why he will try anything out there. I think people should talk more about Mckweon than people do. I think he is going to flourish in the OHL .

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Good point. I wondered at times this year if Hosang was bored. Many times i wondered if he is just bored out there. He looked bored. I wasnt sure why he would do certain things out there. Im not sure how challenged he feels at times even though i feel he should be. Which may or may not be a reason why he will try anything out there. I think people should talk more about Mckweon than people do. I think he is going to flourish in the OHL .

Seeing as you're with the team, I'm assuming you were at the SilverStick game where they played Belle Tire. Was highly impressed with how Ho-Sang utilized his the other 4 players on the ice with him that night.

Like yourself and others have said, I think a lot of times he feels he can go through entire teams all by himself, and with his flare for the razzle dazzle, you can see why he does so.

He wasn't nearly as singular when he played with the '95's last year, nor was he when he was up against a fellow-powerhouse in Detroit Belle Tire.

I think we'll see him as a rookie in an OHL play a much more unselfish game, simply due to necessity.

Anyways, should be an excellent double-header tonight. Would be great to see a big draw out tonight, as this talent definitely warrants a big crowd.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Seeing as you're with the team, I'm assuming you were at the SilverStick game where they played Belle Tire. Was highly impressed with how Ho-Sang utilized his the other 4 players on the ice with him that night.

Like yourself and others have said, I think a lot of times he feels he can go through entire teams all by himself, and with his flare for the razzle dazzle, you can see why he does so.

He wasn't nearly as singular when he played with the '95's last year, nor was he when he was up against a fellow-powerhouse in Detroit Belle Tire.

I think we'll see him as a rookie in an OHL play a much more unselfish game, simply due to necessity.

Anyways, should be an excellent double-header tonight. Would be great to see a big draw out tonight, as this talent definitely warrants a big crowd.

I agree with him feeling he can deke the other teams out...thats my issue. Why do this? Its not neccessary and usually ends in a turnover. Again its a no brainer how good he is...just single minded at times. I agree with your statements about Belle Tire somewhat, OHL. I personally can not wait for the OHL cup so i can see Belle Tire up close also id love to get a closer look at the Cleveland Barons. Also last year HoSang was the new guy so yes he kind of had too defer to his teammates. Again though were are talking about now..and one game against Belle Tire is a small sample size this year but yes he played fantastic. Fantastic double header at victoria village tonight. Im guessing Marlboros clinch and rebels squeak out a close win against the Flyers. Cant wait to watch hopefully Rebels vs marlboros final hopefully. Trust me when HOsang plays with his team-mates he has scouts drooling and other teams are at his mercy. He is alot more valuable showing this compared to how he can deke out other minor midgets who may or may not have a future in hockey.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I have never once seen Mcdavid play and watching that video for the first time it only took about 2 minutes before you can see the ridiculous similarites he has to Nugent Hopkins. Both quick, slender, with awesome hands, slippery moves and great vision. Heck you can even see that they wear there skate tongue the exact same way. I have no idea how big the kid is or how strong he is but you can definitely see he has special talent. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the OHL where hes going to be facing bigger and stronger guys. I can definitely see what all the hype is about tho.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have never once seen Mcdavid play and watching that video for the first time it only took about 2 minutes before you can see the ridiculous similarites he has to Nugent Hopkins. Both quick, slender, with awesome hands, slippery moves and great vision. Heck you can even see that they wear there skate tongue the exact same way. I have no idea how big the kid is or how strong he is but you can definitely see he has special talent. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the OHL where hes going to be facing bigger and stronger guys. I can definitely see what all the hype is about tho.

Someone mentioned Nugent Hopkins before and thats a great comparison. Mcdavids vision is mind boggling at ice level. He is listed at 5-9 155 maybe he grew as he just turned 15 and should be in bantam for heaven sake. I think he will do better than Max Domi who is a rookie in the Ohl. Thing about McDavid is..he rarely gets hit. Ive seen take very few hits over the course of 40 games this year. He knows exactly what is coming and moves.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I agree with him feeling he can deke the other teams out...thats my issue. Why do this? Its not neccessary and usually ends in a turnover. Again its a no brainer how good he is...just single minded at times. I agree with your statements about Belle Tire somewhat, OHL. I personally can not wait for the OHL cup so i can see Belle Tire up close also id love to get a closer look at the Cleveland Barons. Also last year HoSang was the new guy so yes he kind of had too defer to his teammates. Again though were are talking about now..and one game against Belle Tire is a small sample size this year but yes he played fantastic. Fantastic double header at victoria village tonight. Im guessing Marlboros clinch and rebels squeak out a close win against the Flyers. Cant wait to watch hopefully Rebels vs marlboros final hopefully. Trust me when HOsang plays with his team-mates he has scouts drooling and other teams are at his mercy. He is alot more valuable showing this compared to how he can deke out other minor midgets who may or may not have a future in hockey.

Unfortunately, I don't think Belle Tire or Cleveland will be at the OHL Cup. I think they're playoffs are right around the same time, so they don't come. I hope they do, but I imagine it will be TPH Thunder and maybe a team made up of prep school kids, as per last year.

Two great games tonight. McDavid was once again the best player on the ice. Del Colle had a very solid game for Vaughn, in it was ended as 3-3 tie with Vaughn hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

The Rebels/Flyers game was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Numerous horrible calls on both ends and sever key missed calls. Was a very feisty affair that had Don Mills winning 4-3. The Flyers scored the winner with 28 seconds left. Salturo (sp?) had 2 for Don Mills. He's a serious sharp shooter. Fabbri looked very strong as well.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Unfortunately, I don't think Belle Tire or Cleveland will be at the OHL Cup. I think they're playoffs are right around the same time, so they don't come. I hope they do, but I imagine it will be TPH Thunder and maybe a team made up of prep school kids, as per last year.

Two great games tonight. McDavid was once again the best player on the ice. Del Colle had a very solid game for Vaughn, in it was ended as 3-3 tie with Vaughn hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

The Rebels/Flyers game was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Numerous horrible calls on both ends and sever key missed calls. Was a very feisty affair that had Don Mills winning 4-3. The Flyers scored the winner with 28 seconds left. Salturo (sp?) had 2 for Don Mills. He's a serious sharp shooter. Fabbri looked very strong as well.

Mcdavid is very special, his vision/imagination is very unique. Him playing minor midget next year doesnt make alot of sense considering he dominates every single game. Damn he can skate and stick handle like crazy. People forget or dont know he was 14 just a few weeks ago(just turned 15). And that he should be playing in Bantam. As far as Salituro he impresses me big time. Works his ass off, great hockey sense obviously, this kid always scores. Ive seen many of his top shelf snipes of pure quality. It matters less and less to me his size. I think he is first round quality in the OHL draft. He stands out every game i watch with him in it. How did Dal Colle's skating look? To me it needs a tad of work which im sure he can work on over the summer. I like his game, smart, Big, good hands, good hockey sense.

Last edited:

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
From what I have heard the deadline to apply for exceptional status is today the 15th. I have not heard that he has applied yet but does anyone know if he has or not?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
How did Dal Colle's skating look? To me it needs a tad of work which im sure he can work on over the summer. I like his game, smart, Big, good hands, good hockey sense.

Yeah, Del Colle's stride is somewhat labored and he's not the most fleet of foot (or should I say skate?). He makes up for his mediocre skating with his vision, creativity, patience with the puck and shot.

I agree that spending the summer with a high-end power skating coach would be a great move.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Regarding this, does anyone know if the player that does get granted 'Exceptional Status' has to go #1 overall? I have heard that he has to go top-3 but I haven't been able to find any confirmation on this...

He has to go where hes selected. Which probably would be #1st.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Regarding this, does anyone know if the player that does get granted 'Exceptional Status' has to go #1 overall? I have heard that he has to go top-3 but I haven't been able to find any confirmation on this...

He doesnt have to go #1. He could go 30th if thats how OHL teams rated him. But exceptional status and #1 go together. Teams dont pass on exceptional status players. No one would pass on him. Also an exempt status player will be on there OHL team one extra year because the NHL give no exempt status.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
He doesnt have to go #1. He could go 30th if thats how OHL teams rated him. But exceptional status and #1 go together. Teams dont pass on exceptional status players. No one would pass on him. Also an exempt status player will be on there OHL team one extra year because the NHL give no exempt status.

Are you attached to the Marlboros? Do you know one way or the other if Mcdavid applied for EP?

Does anyone think it will affect the team chemistry between the two, Hosang and Mcdavid? I know they aren't linemates for the most part and from the games I've seen it doesn't seem like an issue right now, but if Hosang feels himself slipping down the draft ladder (to his own teammate none the less) you'd have to think he might try to propel his game (pressure breeds selfishness, usually) which could have the negative affect.

UppA45

Feb 15, 2012
Are you attached to the Marlboros? Do you know one way or the other if Mcdavid applied for EP?

Does anyone think it will affect the team chemistry between the two, Hosang and Mcdavid? I know they aren't linemates for the most part and from the games I've seen it doesn't seem like an issue right now, but if Hosang feels himself slipping down the draft ladder (to his own teammate none the less) you'd have to think he might try to propel his game (pressure breeds selfishness, usually) which could have the negative affect.

Nothing has been confirmed yet, but the rumour at the rinks is that people have been told by a few people who would know that he has, but thats all the news so far.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks. That is good news for erie and kingston if he will play for either team because having Mcdavid and Ho sang in the same draft is incredible. Hopefully it is confirmed he has applied soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad