C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
He's on a team that went 67-3-3 :laugh:

He is the reason they are doing so well

It's not unheard of for Minor Midget teams to dominate a season, especially in the GTHL. They're quite the team though, with a win tonight they'll go undefeated in the GTHL playoffs.

As for the inevitable MacKinnon comparison, it's tough to make now. I've seen both play, but never at the same level. McDavid and Ho-Sang in MM, and MacKinnon in the Q or in best-on-bests. If they're put into a similar situation as Nathan was this year (which they probably won't), they can have a similar impact offensively, IMO.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxQbD4PsoI

I'm just going by this one video but seems to me both are special players in their own way. Ho Sang at least to me at this stage seems to exude similarities to Patrick Kane with his playing style and I can see what people mean when they say he tries to do much because he's possibly bored of the competition. As for McDavid...wow the kid is just unreal, hard to believe he's an underager. He should be in the OHL next year to keep up his progress. Both should accustom quickly to Junior and hopefully with the right situation are able to produce at a fair clip.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Mcdavid put on a quite a show tonight to close out the Rebels in the final. Scored with 20 seconds left in the game with a jaw dropping goal. Mcdavid had 31 points in 14 games playoff games. Hosang had 14 points in 14 games. Mcdavid is their MVP . He scored big goals for this team when it mattered.

UppA45

Feb 15, 2012
Mcdavid put on a quite a show tonight to close out the Rebels in the final. Scored with 20 seconds left in the game with a jaw dropping goal. Mcdavid had 31 points in 14 games playoff games. Hosang had 14 points in 14 games. Mcdavid is their MVP . He scored big goals for this team when it mattered.

This kid is a stud, he's impressed the **** out of me everytime I have seen him - talent wise he is definitely exceptional! I wasn't able to go last night and selfishly I was hoping it would go to 6 so I could watch on Wednesday night, lol!
How did Mckeown and Ho Sang look last night though? They are normally quite impressive as well...

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxQbD4PsoI

I'm just going by this one video but seems to me both are special players in their own way. Ho Sang at least to me at this stage seems to exude similarities to Patrick Kane with his playing style and I can see what people mean when they say he tries to do much because he's possibly bored of the competition. As for McDavid...wow the kid is just unreal, hard to believe he's an underager. He should be in the OHL next year to keep up his progress. Both should accustom quickly to Junior and hopefully with the right situation are able to produce at a fair clip.

Thanks for posting that link, certainly fun to watch. Mcdavid from the highlights looked liked the best one out there, probably was all game, but I'm sure Ho-Sang would have something to say about that. Kid is unreal. Haven't seen Mcdavid a lot but he reminds me of RNH.

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for posting that link, certainly fun to watch. Mcdavid from the highlights looked liked the best one out there, probably was all game, but I'm sure Ho-Sang would have something to say about that. Kid is unreal.

McDavid is much more economical with his speed. Ho-Sang tends to make the all-out rushes just for the sake it sometimes, while McDavid will turn on the afterburners when the opportunity presents itself and more often than not he scores or it results in a great chance. He's just picks his spots better than Ho-Sang does.

I agree with mapleleaf that teams (the Rebels, at least) seemed to have figure out how to play Ho-Sang. They really have their scouting report down pat on him. He still stands out, but not to the same degree.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
I haven't heard much since the exceptional status application deadline does anyone know or heard anything new on Mcdavid or when the decision will be made?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I haven't heard much since the exceptional status application deadline does anyone know or heard anything new on Mcdavid or when the decision will be made?

I'm guessing it won't be made until after the OHL Cup. Which concludes March 18th. Look for the announcement very soon after that.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Could the guy put the game 5 clips to more depressing music? Yikes. Thanks a lot for making these videos, but video number 2's music choice...

Be right back. Making a Datsyuk highlight video to gloomy music.

Last edited:

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
From watching the highlights I'm a bit skeptical to if he's really good enough for exceptional status? Like he's obviously a good skater and has some vision but nothing all that insane. Maybe these just aren't enough, but most elite kids can pass just as well as him and some can probably skate better? I don't know, highlights are a terrible way to judge, but I remember watching some of Domi's last year, and he seemed a lot bigger (in terms of strength not height) and more explosive. I know he's only a 97, but it kinda seems like playing Major Midget and dominating would be good for him since he's not that big? Not denying his skill but if he doesn't add some muscle and maybe a few inches, he's not going to have much success in the O.

• Haha
Reactions: Rengorlex

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
From watching the highlights I'm a bit skeptical to if he's really good enough for exceptional status? Like he's obviously a good skater and has some vision but nothing all that insane. Maybe these just aren't enough, but most elite kids can pass just as well as him and some can probably skate better? I don't know, highlights are a terrible way to judge, but I remember watching some of Domi's last year, and he seemed a lot bigger (in terms of strength not height) and more explosive. I know he's only a 97, but it kinda seems like playing Major Midget and dominating would be good for him since he's not that big? Not denying his skill but if he doesn't add some muscle and maybe a few inches, he's not going to have much success in the O.

You have to see him live. If there's one sport that television doesn't do justice to (never mind a guy operating with one single camera) it's hockey. Speak to anyone who has seen McDavid live numerous times and they'll all tell you he's very worthy of getting exceptional status.

I saw Domi plays lots last year. He's not on McDavid's level when it comes to overall skill-set, and McDavid is a year younger (speaking on them as Minor Midgets).

UppA45

Feb 15, 2012
You have to see him live. If there's one sport that television doesn't do justice to (never mind a guy operating with one single camera) it's hockey. Speak to anyone who has seen McDavid live numerous times and they'll all tell you he's very worthy of getting exceptional status.

I saw Domi plays lots last year. He's not on McDavid's level when it comes to overall skill-set, and McDavid is a year younger (speaking on them as Minor Midgets).

What Garyboy said. Amen!

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC

Yeah I figured. It would be something to see two exceptions granted in two years. Sounds like he has the skill/speed but do you think his size will hold him back (from getting exceptional status/having success next year in the OHL, not in the future)? How big is he?

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah I figured. It would be something to see two exceptions granted in two years. Sounds like he has the skill/speed but do you think his size will hold him back (from getting exceptional status/having success next year in the OHL, not in the future)? How big is he?

Hes slightly smaller then Domi, but I dont think many think that it will hold him back. He plays against kids 6'1/200 routenly in the GTHL/tournaments, and he doesnt struggle at all.

It would be an excuse used to hold him back, not a genuine reason.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Connor Mcdavid is growing. He was shorter than Hosang at the beginning of the year. Now he is taller. Mcdavid will probably end up being 6-0 or 6-1. He is about 5-11 165. 2 months ago he was 14.

Max Domi has more grit to his game than Mcdavid and is stronger in the weight room. That will never change. Domi has the physical edge. Mcdavid has every other edge. But Mcdavid is playing up a year. Mcdavid more than makes up for this with his Balance. Mcdavid will never be a power forward. His game is high pace and skill. He bumps a little bit. But tends to use his quick hands to life your stick and take the puck compared to hitting u out of the way. Mcdavid has rarely been hit this year he is very elusive.

With all due respect to Domi who is highly skilled. He isnt in the same class as Mcdavid. Mcdavid is probably the most talented to come through the GTHL in years. Even more he dominates a 96' class that is viewed as the deepest in years. From my view Mcdavid will get over 100 points in the OHL in his second season, possibly his first. He is that good. He reminds me very much of Sidney Crosby.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Video about Mcdavid also went live this afternoon from Bobby Mac

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Connor Mcdavid is growing. He was shorter than Hosang at the beginning of the year. Now he is taller. Mcdavid will probably end up being 6-0 or 6-1. He is about 5-11 165. 2 months ago he was 14.

Max Domi has more grit to his game than Mcdavid and is stronger in the weight room. That will never change. Domi has the physical edge. Mcdavid has every other edge. But Mcdavid is playing up a year. Mcdavid more than makes up for this with his Balance. Mcdavid will never be a power forward. His game is high pace and skill. He bumps a little bit. But tends to use his quick hands to life your stick and take the puck compared to hitting u out of the way. Mcdavid has rarely been hit this year he is very elusive.

With all due respect to Domi who is highly skilled. He isnt in the same class as Mcdavid. Mcdavid is probably the most talented to come through the GTHL in years. Even more he dominates a 96' class that is viewed as the deepest in years. From my view Mcdavid will get over 100 points in the OHL in his second season, possibly his first. He is that good. He reminds me very much of Sidney Crosby.

100 points this year is a little much. I'd suspect he'll be in Tavares range or probably a little lower (Scoring in the OHL is down since Tavares was a 15 year old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad