C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nice, kid sounds like the real deal. Do you think he will be the 1st selection if he is granted? And how do you think he will do as a 15 year old next season if he gets the nod?

Yes he will go first. He is the best player in minor midget. His skating has improved greatly this year he is an incredible skater to go with all his other tools. Ken Strong the Marlboros coach, is helping him apply so yes he is applying. If i had to guess i could see him getting 60-70 points in the OHL. His hockey IQ is too good. Max Domi playing in his rookie season is just a tad under a point per game. I think Connor will have better OHL rookie campaign than Domi. As far as getting bigger is concerned. Im sure he will work on that but ive never seen this kid take a big hit. He always gets out of the way. Thats a skill in its own right.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Is there actually any confirmation that this kid wants to play in the OHL?
A quick Google search brings up a picture of him in front of two University of Wisconsin jerseys..

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Is there actually any confirmation that this kid wants to play in the OHL?
A quick Google search brings up a picture of him in front of two University of Wisconsin jerseys..

Hes applying for exceptional status. If hes not interested in playing in the OHL, he wouldnt.

He also made some quotes to the Hockey News about the OHL.

As someone who has talked to him and those around him, I can pretty much confirm that he wants to go to the OHL

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Hes applying for exceptional status. If hes not interested in playing in the OHL, he wouldnt.

As someone who has talked to him and those around him, I can pretty much confirm that he wants to go to the OHL
I hadn't seen any actual confirmation that he was applying for exceptional status in this thread, so I didn't know if he was for sure.
After making that post though, I found this article from THN (mods, it's a legitimate way of previewing THN and not a scan, which is obviously not allowed here), which confirms that he's looking to apply for it.

It's nice to hear that both he and Ho-Sang plan on going the OHL route and aren't trying to circumvent the draft.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Tigers:

Do u have any idea what Mcdavids stat totals are? im very curious

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Yes he will go first. He is the best player in minor midget. His skating has improved greatly this year he is an incredible skater to go with all his other tools. Ken Strong the Marlboros coach, is helping him apply so yes he is applying. If i had to guess i could see him getting 60-70 points in the OHL. His hockey IQ is too good. Max Domi playing in his rookie season is just a tad under a point per game. I think Connor will have better OHL rookie campaign than Domi. As far as getting bigger is concerned. Im sure he will work on that but ive never seen this kid take a big hit. He always gets out of the way. Thats a skill in its own right.

How does he compare to Tavares? I'll assume McDavid is the far better skater at his age (since Tavares was essentially a moving fridge), but with regards to hockey sense, hands and so forth I am curious.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In THN article I believe it said 29 goals, and 60 points in 30 games.

Cool thanks. Interesting article as posted above. Connor got 6 points in the last 2 regular season games so he is at 32 goals 34 assists for the year and im missing one game. In the last two games Ho sang got 1 assist. So Hosang is at 74 for the year and im missing one of his games.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
How does he compare to Tavares? I'll assume McDavid is the far better skater at his age (since Tavares was essentially a moving fridge), but with regards to hockey sense, hands and so forth I am curious.

I'd say Tavares had slightly better hands. Hockey sense and skating I'd give to McDavid.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Cool thanks. Interesting article as posted above. Connor got 6 points in the last 2 regular season games so he is at 32 goals 34 assists for the year and im missing one game. In the last two games Ho sang got 1 assist. So Hosang is at 74 for the year and im missing one of his games.

How does Mathew Barzal from BC compare to McDavid? Barzal is a highly rated 1997 out West.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I'd say Tavares had slightly better hands. Hockey sense and skating I'd give to McDavid.

i would say hockey sense is about the same....skating and creativity I would give to Mcdavid, scoring tavares an edge but I think McDavid's skating opens up a lot more oppertunity for him than Tavares, also playmaking I think they are both the same....both about the same but McDavids speed gives him more of an edge for sure...lets hope it translates to the OHL.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
i would say hockey sense is about the same....skating and creativity I would give to Mcdavid, scoring tavares an edge but I think McDavid's skating opens up a lot more oppertunity for him than Tavares, also playmaking I think they are both the same....both about the same but McDavids speed gives him more of an edge for sure...lets hope it translates to the OHL.

where would you put nathan noel in comparison to mcdavid?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Ive never seen nathan noel play live. But Mcdavid could play in the OHL right now. He already has elite OHL speed and stick handling nevermind gthl. I believe right now he is better than max domi who is 2 yrs older and producing about a point per game in the OHL. Mcdavid could have produced the same in my opinion this year as a 14-15 yr old. Ho-sang as well as 15-16 yr old.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
I was impressed by McDavid yesterday. He is very fast and pretty strong on his skates. He was hit by two players at the same time but stayed on his skates which resulted in a 2 on 0. He also passed the puck instead of shooting which Domi may not have done.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was impressed by McDavid yesterday. He is very fast and pretty strong on his skates. He was hit by two players at the same time but stayed on his skates which resulted in a 2 on 0. He also passed the puck instead of shooting which Domi may not have done.

Did u go to Mastercard Center? How were MCdavids stats? He has more goals now than Ho-sang i cant believe this kid. Incredible. I watched game 2 live. Mcdavid is king.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
the hockey news seemed to be saying that ho-sang was clearly better now but mcdavid was better for his age, yet a lot of posters on here are now saying mcdavid is better now than ho-sang is, can anyone comment on this?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Shouldn't he have even more hype given that some people are saying he's as good as Tavares at the same age and better than Ho-Sang

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
the hockey news seemed to be saying that ho-sang was clearly better now but mcdavid was better for his age, yet a lot of posters on here are now saying mcdavid is better now than ho-sang is, can anyone comment on this?

Ive had the pleasure of watching both play over 25 games together, and Ho-Sang around 60 times live.

Its really close. I think Ho-Sang's skills are probably better now, and probably will have a better year in the OHL next year assuming both move on, but its really, really close, which is a phenominal statement for McDavid.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Ive had the pleasure of watching both play over 25 games together, and Ho-Sang around 60 times live.

Its really close. I think Ho-Sang's skills are probably better now, and probably will have a better year in the OHL next year assuming both move on, but its really, really close, which is a phenominal statement for McDavid.

so you would say mcdavid is clearly better for his age and should be the better player down the road?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Ho-sang isnt better in any aspect of hockey than McDavid. Im not sure what u see? U tell me in what area Ho-sang is better. There skating is equal. Stick handling id give to mcdavid. Ho sang turns the puck over a ton. Mcdavid uses his teammates more. Hosang is way behind here. Mcdavid has better vision. He seems to be the only player who sees things out there. Ive seen him set up plays that no one saw coming. Happens alot. He is more dangerous for this reason. MCdavid has alot more substance to his game and is more exciting to watch. He does incredible things in the flow of the game that make sense. Ho sang is a complete show off lets be honest . As long as he dangles someone he is happy.

Mcdavid has more points this year than Ho-sang. He is more of a team player. ALOT MORE. Ho-Sang likes to show off for no reason. He likes to dangle and spin around. Things like this have no substance to me. Its more a selfish act "look at me" i hear how the kids and people respond to it. Im annoyed watching it and some are excited usually young kids. Ho-sang wants to do everything on his own, this will not happen in the OHL. I see him as a show off. He stands out but seems more interested in showing off than putting the puck in the net. Hosang is a puck hog to put it mildly. Ive watched them play about 40 times this year together. In my opinion Mcdavid has caught and surpassed Ho-sang this year. I dont think its even close. Ho sangs selfish play really turns me off. His minor midget coach wont say anything, but his OHL coach will. Turnovers are not cool in the OHL, either is trying to show off and embarass guys for your own ego.

Last edited:

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Ho-sang isnt better in any aspect of hockey than McDavid. Im not sure what u see? U tell me in what area Ho-sang is better. There skating is equal. Stick handling id give to mcdavid. Ho sang turns the puck over a ton. Mcdavid uses his teammates more. Hosang is way behind here. Mcdavid has better vision. He seems to be the only player who sees things out there. Ive seen him set up plays that no one saw coming. Happens alot. He is more dangerous for this reason. MCdavid has alot more substance to his game and is more exciting to watch. He does incredible things in the flow of the game that make sense. Ho sang is a complete show off lets be honest .

Mcdavid has more points this year than Ho-sang. He is more of a team player. ALOT MORE. Ho-Sang likes to show off for no reason. He likes to dangle and spin around. Things like this have no substance to me. Its more a selfish act "look at me" i hear how the kids and people respond to it. Im annoyed watching it and some are excited usually young kids. Ho-sang wants to do everything on his own, this will not happen in the OHL. I see him as a show off. He stands out but seems more interested in showing off than putting the puck in the net. Hosang is a puck hog to put it mildly. Ive watched them play about 40 times this year together. In my opinion Mcdavid has caught and surpassed Ho-sang this year. I dont think its even close. Ho sangs selfish play really turns me off. His minor midget coach wont say anything, but his OHL coach will. Turnovers are not cool in the OHL, either is trying to show off and embarass guys for your own ego.

With respect, Ive seen the players extensively over the past two years, Ive diagnosed everything about their game.

You have your opinions, which ive tried to respect, but its getting a bit over the top. Lets not try to tear down a 15 year old kid just because you dont enjoy him. To be honest, there is no reason to tear down one 15 year old to celebrate another player.

I love Ho-Sang's individual skill set. He oozes confidence and has the ability to dazzle. Did you see Taylor Hall in Kingston or Stamkos in Markham in their draft years? They where similarly as dominent as Ho-Sang, but did not have someone labelling them as 'selfish'. I have seen those players and how they grew, and see a similar path for Ho-Sang.

I have my opinions, you have yours, as I have said, ive tried to repsect yours, but it seems as thou anyone who posts anything positive about Ho-Sang is followed by your tearing him down.

Lets relax a bit, its minor midget. Players have played individual styles dating back to current NHL stars like Stamkos, Tavares and Seguin. If you saw them play, and put Ho-Sang's play beside them, you can see what everyone is very excited by Ho-Sang.

I was sitting beside an OHL GM yesterday at Mastercard talking about the Marlies, and he told me that the two players are the best players to come through the GTHL in 10 years. Thats an amazing thing to think about.

BOTH players have a great future, so lets celebrate BOTH. I think thats fair, especially when taking about 15 year olds.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

Speed wise Noel is faster...yes he is even though McDavid has amazing speed, Noel is faster.

puck handling I give to Connor McDavid, Noel is a great puck handler, but McDavid is on a different level than most players when handling the puck.

Playmaking and passing, I give the edge to Connor McDavid, Noel is a great playmaker but again McDavid is on another level with that.

Shooting ability I would say they are about equal

Hockey sense, Noel has good hoceky sense but McDavid has a little bit more sense.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
so you would say mcdavid is clearly better for his age and should be the better player down the road?

Mcdavid is better right now and a year younger. He will go #1. Im my opinion Mcdavid is miles ahead of Ho-sang. Imagine Jordan and vince carter in there prime. Vince was the best dunker to grace the NBA better than JOrdan. What did that matter? dunking, dangling, entertaining doesnt make u win. But it was fun to watch. He could amaze u. Jordan would amaze u but win and utilize pippen and rodman to help win rings. To me Hosang is more Vince than Mike. Mcdavid is more mike than Vince. Quote me on this ill be here for a long time. Mcdavid will have more points next year in the OHL than Ho-sang. Ill eat crow if the time comes. I think Mcdavid could produce more points in the OHL right now than Max Domi.

Mcdavids vision is out of this world. Mcdavids hockey sense is so good its like he watched the game already before he played it that night and knows exactly was is going to happen.

Last edited:

Miller4Gold

Mar 5, 2010
Buffalo
Mcdavid is better right now and a year younger. He will go #1. Im my opinion Mcdavid is miles ahead of Ho-sang. Imagine Jordan and vince carter in there prime. Vince was the best dunker to grace the NBA better than JOrdan. What did that matter? dunking, dangling, entertaining doesnt make u win. But it was fun to watch. He could amaze u. Jordan would amaze u but win and utilize pippen and rodman to help win rings. To me Hosang is more Vince than Mike. Mcdavid is more mike than Vince. Quote me on this ill be here for a long time. Mcdavid will have more points next year in the OHL than Ho-sang. Ill eat crow if the time comes. I think Mcdavid could produce more points in the OHL right now than Max Domi.

Mcdavids vision is out of this world. Mcdavids hockey sense is so good its like he watched the game already before he played it that night and knows exactly was is going to happen.

I have to agree with Tigers. I had a 91 and have a 96, currently in the GTHL. Both players are absolutely the best players that Ive seen live, including some very good 92's.

I dont know if its done on purpose, but the constant promotion of one player while tearing down another is really, really is odd. Im not sure what the motivation would be for that, especially for someone who isnt attached to the team. I think both have great futures ahead of them, and to sit behind a keyboard attacking one by name seems pretty over the top to me. Thats simply my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->