C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttman*

People comparing McDavid to Daigle don't know hockey. Two very different players. Daigle was all speed. McDavid is all hands.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
It's not obvious until the slow motion, but that was a 100 foot saucer pass over the defenceman's head. It wasn't a chip play; you can tell by how the puck lands flat. Unreal.

Yeah. That was a thing of beauty. Didn't even have to alter his stride. Puck just settled perfectly.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
It's not obvious until the slow motion, but that was a 100 foot saucer pass over the defenceman's head. It wasn't a chip play; you can tell by how the puck lands flat. Unreal.

also, that one T top shelf goal was pretty sweet (for a guy with a bad shot) :sarcasm:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

That was nice. Very nice.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People comparing McDavid to Daigle don't know hockey. Two very different players. Daigle was all speed. McDavid is all hands.

From what I remember of the Daigle bust discussion from that era, Daigle was such a great skater that he could simply out skate all of his problems and generate offense by simply going around people. He was basically a one trick pony in juniors and didn't really develop his hands, vision, playmaking, shot, etc. and when he got to the NHL and the dead puck era set in, he had nowhere to go and no motivation to improve.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I don't remember enough about Daigle to comment. I just believe the analysis done on players is to a whole different level than it was 20 years ago and someone would have spotted his flaws.

Well just saying it doesn't make it true. I think if the 1993 draft were happening this year after all the seasons the prospects had in their draft year, Daigle would still be going 1st overall.

If McDavid is another Daigle, I'll eat my eyeglass case.

I never said he would be, and I can't imagine he will.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Well just saying it doesn't make it true. I think if the 1993 draft were happening this year after all the seasons the prospects had in their draft year, Daigle would still be going 1st overall.

Based on what?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Based on what?

Based on the fact he actually did go first overall. If you want to say that something's changed in scouting that would have made him not gone first overall, then it's on you to show what that is.

When someone puts up 0.7 PPG more than his closest competition in his draft year, I have a really hard time seeing that player not go first overall.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Based on the fact he actually did go first overall. If you want to say that something's changed in scouting that would have made him not gone first overall, then it's on you to show what that is.

When someone puts up 0.7 PPG more than his closest competition in his draft year, I have a really hard time seeing that player not go first overall.

Honestly, this might sound stupid but I think a guy with character issues like Daigle's would have been easier to spot with social media being this prevalent. There's no way he wouldn't have said or done something in the ever-persistent spotlight we have today that would have raised questions about his compete level.

That being said, he'd probably still have gone where he did, it just wouldn't have been as surprising to see his career go the way it did.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
From what I remember of the Daigle bust discussion from that era, Daigle was such a great skater that he could simply out skate all of his problems and generate offense by simply going around people. He was basically a one trick pony in juniors and didn't really develop his hands, vision, playmaking, shot, etc. and when he got to the NHL and the dead puck era set in, he had nowhere to go and no motivation to improve.

That is 100% wrong.

Daigle had awesome hockey sense and vision in juniors, but his skating was average. He was a bust b/c he didn't have the motivation to be a star player. His head wasn't in hockey; it was elsewhere.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That is 100% wrong.

Daigle had awesome hockey sense and vision in juniors, but his skating was average. He was a bust b/c he didn't have the motivation to be a star player. His head wasn't in hockey; it was elsewhere.

You don't know what you're talking about.

I think he was rushed in Ottawa. But I also think that he wasn't that great. Lots of players put up huge numbers in the Q. He had ridiculously amazing skating, that turned out to be not as useful in the NHL because it was more breakaway skating ability, rather then a guy that had tricky speed... the Coffey or Orr ability to be at speed 3 then move to 4 and 5. Or saying it differently, Colin Greening beat Karlsson at the speed competition for Sens Skills, and holds the fastest time EVER for a Senator in an around the rink timing. Karlsson is so much of a better skater during a game then Greening it is not funny. Daigle had the top end speed, but wasn't a particularly effective skater at slowing it down then speeding it up to trick opponents, to skate around people, nor did he have the "quickness" of moving 10-20 feet fast, that is different from skating speed.

Daigle had a decent shot, but he wasn't a good passer. I don't think he had "plus" vision at all. He did not have great hockey sense.

Every scout thought he had better skills then he possessed, he was drafted too high and that is not his fault or the Senators for drafting him. Then the contract... well that was partly due to Lindros. Lindros was such a HUGE name that 1st overall picks got too much hype at that time. Just like the Crosby hype carried over for a few years with prospects (Tavares, who justified it)... the hype machine was at it's highest for 1st overall picks at that time period.

What the Senators did do is develop him terribly. They gave him a ton of ice time on a terrible team, which he didn't ear, and let him just float and try to score and not learn much about what it takes to be an NHL player, let alone a star. I could see him as a Michael Grabner type player, or an elite 3rd liner that was meant to be passed to and go out on breaks. If he was developed properly. He was never really going to make his linemates better, but could have been used in a very effective way to be a consistent 30 goal scorer at the time... as a PK weapon, and a 3rd line breakaway threat.

We saw his best hockey BY FAR on Minnesota. He had the good 50 point season. If he had been developed right that is what you might have got consistently or a bit more.

There is NO WAY he was going to be an NHL star. He had neither the drive, the instincts and hockey IQ, nor the true full tool box of physical skills to do that. He is an example of mistaken scouting (by EVERYONE) and poor development of the skills he had. Add in that he didn't really like playing hockey that much and there you have his career in a nutshell.

Acting like there even is an possibility he could have been a true star is silly. It is so evident that he couldn't have been. He played 616 NHL games.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1541951

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Buffalo will be blessed with him...but if buffalo sports luck continues as it has since the beginning of the Bills and Sabres, then we won't get him...

I'm hoping this changes...we need McJesus..

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has it been considered that some teams in the league probably prefer Eichel to McDavid? I know this isn't an exact comparison or even a good one, but not every GM in the league prefers Crosby to Toews and probably not even every GM in the league prefers Crosby to Malkin. It seems like most people think McDavid is better than Eichel and I'm not even disagreeing with that, but it also seems like many people aren't accounting for others having different opinions. I don't think anyone will really disagree if you say McDavid is likely to go #1, but I don't see how anyone could say with certainty that he will unless you've asked each team in the league who they'd select if they were to get the #1 pick.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

Nowadays there's a lot more research done on players, and a lot more emphasis on character than there used to be. Scouts are very diligent now; even checking players' Facebooks and Twitter accounts.

They learn from past mistakes; such as Daigle going 1st overall.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Has it been considered that some teams in the league probably prefer Eichel to McDavid? I know this isn't an exact comparison or even a good one, but not every GM in the league prefers Crosby to Toews and probably not even every GM in the league prefers Crosby to Malkin. It seems like most people think McDavid is better than Eichel and I'm not even disagreeing with that, but it also seems like many people aren't accounting for others having different opinions. I don't think anyone will really disagree if you say McDavid is likely to go #1, but I don't see how anyone could say with certainty that he will unless you've asked each team in the league who they'd select if they were to get the #1 pick.

I'm sure there's some of the better NHL teams that would like to experiment but considering they are both centers it would be hard for one of the bottom teams to pass up on McDavid. Eichel isn't as far behind as people seem to think though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm sure there's some of the better NHL teams that would like to experiment but considering they are both centers it would be hard for one of the bottom teams to pass up on McDavid. Eichel isn't as far behind as people seem to think though.

I'm not even referring to an experiment. I think there are probably some teams that have a higher draft grade on Eichel than McDavid. Does that alone mean that Eichel is the better player? No, but its really not such a crazy opinion that Eichel is better than McDavid. Maybe only a small percentage of those in the hockey world have it, but I think there's a good chance that its the opinion of at least a few NHL teams.

Its not like we are discussing whether someone might think that a consensus top 20 pick is better than the likely #1 pick. We are discussing the likely #1 and #2 picks in the upcoming draft. In all drafts in all sports, I can't think of a situation where literally every person had the same idea of who was the better player when deciding between two players who are very close in ability. Even going back to the 2012 NFL draft when everyone was talking about Andrew Luck as a generational talent similar to what people are saying about McDavid, there were a few people that preferred RGIII.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Honestly, this might sound stupid but I think a guy with character issues like Daigle's would have been easier to spot with social media being this prevalent. There's no way he wouldn't have said or done something in the ever-persistent spotlight we have today that would have raised questions about his compete level.

That being said, he'd probably still have gone where he did, it just wouldn't have been as surprising to see his career go the way it did.

And people would love him for it just like Ho-Sang. Not too say Ho-Sang is at all disinterested, but he gets praise for spouting off and being cocky, so Daigle would probably still go first.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
With every game he's proving why he's considered a better prospect than Tavares. People called me crazy for guessing a 140+ point season . . . he could be nearing 100 by the WJCs.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
With every game he's proving why he's considered a better prospect than Tavares. People called me crazy for guessing a 140+ point season . . . he could be nearing 100 by the WJCs.

If he played 55 Games due to WJC and other stuff he'd get 153 points as of right now. :handclap:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

It hasnt even been 10 games yet, lets not get too ahead of ourself yet.

Also, Tavares scored 72 goals and 134 points at 16. McDavod scored 28 goals and 99points at 16.

Still not as good as a prospect as Tavares IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad