C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Haha.. If you can find one edmonton fan who isn't extremely frustrated with our playoff drought, I'll give you anything you want. However, the reality is: A Mcdavid comes around about once every 10 years, Crosby was the last generational player. So if you ask me if I'd rather win the odd game here and there and finish 12th in the west, or draft a player who can single handedly get us out the gutter.. I'm gonna pick the latter, and I'd be shocked if any realistic oiler fans think otherwise. Our team is not even close to a competitive team, not saying tanking is the right choice but at this point it might be the only one.

You do realize that one player can't single handedly pull a team out of the gutter right? Crosby couldn't even do it.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Haha.. If you can find one edmonton fan who isn't extremely frustrated with our playoff drought, I'll give you anything you want. However, the reality is: A Mcdavid comes around about once every 10 years, Crosby was the last generational player. So if you ask me if I'd rather win the odd game here and there and finish 12th in the west, or draft a player who can single handedly get us out the gutter.. I'm gonna pick the latter, and I'd be shocked if any realistic oiler fans think otherwise. Our team is not even close to a competitive team, not saying tanking is the right choice but at this point it might be the only one.

It will be really funny when you finish last and draft him only to find out that he won't come close to singlehandedly getting the Oilers out of the gutter :laugh:

Connor Mcdavey*

You do realize that one player can't single handedly pull a team out of the gutter right? Crosby couldn't even do it.

Okay, maybe I worded it wrong. But, would you agree that Crosby was a huge catalyst in getting them out of the gutter? McJesus , if Oilers are in a position to draft him, would be playing with Hall/Eberle/Hopkins and/or Yakupov. I think that's a better support than Crosby was placed into in his first few years.
It will be really funny when you finish last and draft him only to find out that he won't come close to singlehandedly getting the Oilers out of the gutter :laugh:
see above ^
Falls to the Oilers?... Have you watched the Oilers this year or McDavid for that matter? The Oilers will be drafting first overall and McDavid won't fall.
Well, firstly him going 1st overall is not set in stone. Secondly, there is still a probability that even if we finish last, we won't be picking first (thus the term lottery draft) .. But besides the point, maybe I should've reworded that last part. I meant to say if we are in a position to draft him.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Okay, maybe I worded it wrong. But, would you agree that Crosby was a huge catalyst in getting them out of the gutter? McJesus , if Oilers are in a position to draft him, would be playing with Hall/Eberle/Hopkins and/or Yakupov. I think that's a better support than Crosby was placed into in his first few years.

see above ^

Well, firstly him going 1st overall is not set in stone. Secondly, there is still a probability that even if we finish last, we won't be picking first (thus the term lottery draft) .. But besides the point, maybe I should've reworded that last part. I meant to say if we are in a position to draft him.

Yah I agree with that. McDavid going first is essentially set in stone though. I believe him and Eichel are very close but the hype for 4 years and the success of McDavid just seems like too much for him to not go first. Once again I will say I think both of them are very close and it should be neck and neck.

Yes I'm aware of the draft lottery.

Connor Mcdavey*

Yah I agree with that. McDavid going first is essentially set in stone though. I believe him and Eichel are very close but the hype for 4 years and the success of McDavid just seems like too much for him to not go first. Once again I will say I think both of them are very close and it should be neck and neck.

Yes I'm aware of the draft lottery.

I agree that Mcdavid is definitely the better prospect, and you'd be crazy if you passed up on him.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I agree that Mcdavid is definitely the better prospect, and you'd be crazy if you passed up on him.

What do you mean you agree McDavid is definitely the better prospect? I didn't once say that McDavid is better. McDavid imo has the edge and is a little better but he isn't "definitely" better. People would know that if they'd actually seen Eichel.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
:facepalm: im an oiler fan that watched him plenty. Once again in this day in age one player can't pull a team from the gutter

So now you have reframed it as 'nowadays' ? I didn't see that part.

I think Crosby did pull the Penguins out of the gutter but not in one season like Gretzky did.

Connor Mcdavey*

What do you mean you agree McDavid is definitely the better prospect? I didn't once say that McDavid is better. McDavid imo has the edge and is a little better but he isn't "definitely" better. People would know that if they'd actually seen Eichel.

How is he not the better prospect? "Definitely" doesn't mean by a far margin, it means if given the choice, general managers would choose him over Eichel. Find me a source that states otherwise?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
So now you have reframed it as 'nowadays' ? I didn't see that part.

I think Crosby did pull the Penguins out of the gutter but not in one season like Gretzky did.

I meant nowadays yes. There isn't going to be player who does what Gretzky did and put up numbers like his did in this NHL most likely ever again, the game is obviously completely different now. Stupid to bring him up really.

Crosby HELPED pull the penguins out of the gutter which he should since he is the best player in the NHL and a game changer. But the season they actually improved there was 2 rookies that really helped the team. That kind of center depth, an excellent top pairing (at the time) and the combination of experience and young players really turned that team around.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
How is he not the better prospect? "Definitely" doesn't mean by a far margin, it means if given the choice, general managers would choose him over Eichel. Find me a source that states otherwise?

Maybe watch Eichel play. I do believe McDavid is better but they are very very close. Actually definitely does mean by a far margin, maybe look up the definition. Definitely means without a doubt. McDavid isn't without a doubt better. There are plenty of sources stating it'll be McDavid vs Eichel and im not going to look them up for you and waste my time. If you don't know that that debate is going on then you haven't been paying any attention. Yes I believe mcDavid is better but they are damn close.

Watch Eichel play is my only suggestion.

Connor Mcdavey*

Maybe watch Eichel play. I do believe McDavid is better but they are very very close. Actually definitely does mean by a far margin, maybe look up the definition. Definitely means without a doubt. McDavid isn't without a doubt better. There are plenty of sources stating it'll be McDavid vs Eichel and im not going to look them up for you and waste my time. If you don't know that that debate is going on then you haven't been paying any attention. Yes I believe mcDavid is better but they are damn close.

Watch Eichel play is my only suggestion.

Well, I'll try to write this out as simple as possible. Because it seems you're gonna argue everything I say, even the sky is blue.. (it is blue, right?)

1) Media is going to coin this draft as a 2 horse race. It couldn't be further from the truth. But, they got you thinking that Eichel has a chance of taking first so I'm sure you're watching more of his games because you got suckered into believing that.

2) Exceptional entrance to CHL. The last 3 fifteen-year old players granted exceptional status? Ekblad, Tavares, and Crosby. What do they have in common? Drafted first overall and lead their respective draft class in points (too early to tell impact Ekblad will have)

3) Has been recognized as a generational talent since he was pre teenager. The hockey world knew about him, and they had faith in him for a reason. Up until 3 months ago I didn't know who Eichel even was, yet alone to contend with McDavid?

Perhaps you should read the signs and admit that McDavid is a better prospect, and more likely to go 1st compared to Eichel, and that's no slight to Eichel. But don't sit here and tell me they're neck and neck.

Albeit a small sample size, I think his 2.77 ppg is helping solidify his case even more. Crosby's was 2.7

Last edited by a moderator:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
the brightside for the oilers if they win the McDavid sweeps, they might actually trade one of their valuable forwards for a real defenseman.

I'd much rather see him in Buffalo though. Outside of the last year, atleast they've tried to win.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
another casual three point night, no big deal. Almost to the point where a one point game is going to look disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad