C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
But wasn't Matthews supposed to be a choker in big games? :sarcasm:

So far it looks like he's rallied the troops and U.S. are surprisingly leading Canada now.

We're so blessed as hockey fans with the influx of young talent coming into the league each year.

Matthews, Laine, Pulj, McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Strome, Domi, Ghost, Ehlers, Nylander etc etc.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Matthews is solely responsible for goals against when he's on the ice and his goal was pure luck. Thanks for your contributions Winnipeg/Finland.

He made a nice play there to get by Rielly to the net, couldn't finish it though.
Nobody has critisized him. That goal was awesome but for me, that first goal was sloppy defense from a two-way center.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nobody has critisized him. That goal was awesome but for me, that first goal was sloppy defense from a two-way center.

It happens.

Chicago is my #2 team but even Toews gets beaten sometimes or has a brain fart, more often then not though he makes the smart play. The great thing I can see is that like Toews, more often then not Matthews is making the smart/right play, and as he gains experience etc, it'll help him improve as a player.

Remember, we're talking about Matthews and Laine like they are seasoned pros right now, reality is they are just 18.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
It happens.

Chicago is my #2 team but even Toews gets beaten sometimes or has a brain fart, more often then not though he makes the smart play. The great thing I can see is that like Toews, more often then not Matthews is making the smart/right play, and as he gains experience etc, it'll help him improve as a player.

Remember, we're talking about Matthews and Laine like they are seasoned pros right now, reality is they are just 18.
Finally a poster who has good hockeyknowledge!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

It wasn't sloppy defense, there was another guy wide open in a more dangerous spot who both Matthews and the dman went to cover. It was the correct decision by Matthews. Sometimes you make the right decision and still get beat, it's a fast game.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
It wasn't sloppy defense, there was another guy wide open in a more dangerous spot who both Matthews and the dman went to cover. It was the correct decision by Matthews. Sometimes you make the right decision and still get beat, it's a fast game.
Im not bashing him, but you have got to admit he didn't play that shift well (mainly because of the long shift)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Finally a poster who has good hockeyknowledge!

Thanks.

He just made a good place blocking ROR from making a play out front to a team mate for a tap in. So he's making the right play there.

Just need to enjoy this for what it is. Hockey is getting better, getting a whole new crop of talented young players.

Laine-Barkov-Pulj should be terrifying teams at Olympics etc for years to come

The U.S. whom I always thought was very average at centre is going to have a wicked 1-2 punch with Matthews and Eichel now.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Thanks.

He just made a good place blocking ROR from making a play out front to a team mate for a tap in. So he's making the right play there.

Just need to enjoy this for what it is. Hockey is getting better, getting a whole new crop of talented young players.

Laine-Barkov-Pulj should be terrifying teams at Olympics etc for years to come

The U.S. whom I always thought was very average at centre is going to have a wicked 1-2 punch with Matthews and Eichel now.
Best top three we have had in a while!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Im not bashing him, but you have got to admit he didn't play that shift well (mainly because of the long shift)

There were things he could have done differently, there always are when you get scored on, but that doesn't negate the fact he's a good two way player or make the goal his fault.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It happens.

Yeah. Being a strong two-way player doesn't mean you are perfect 100% of the time. So long as you are making a lot more strong defensive plays and coverage than you are mistakes then you are still a good two-way player.

And yeah are talking about 18-year olds in a tournament you almost never see them playing prominent roles in.

Anyways, has been fun watching Matthews and seeing what he can do. Only getting more confident as the tournament has gone along. Trusting more his own shooting and getting nice results offensively. Two-way play has been good the whole time I thought.

JMcLeaf

his line got hemmed in for like 2 minutes there, he did get caught puck watching though

Yep.

Earlier in the shift Foligno failed to get the puck out of the zone. Should have been a simple play. You could feel the goal coming after that.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
TSN Commentators just now:

"We're still trying to figure out what Matthews doesn't do well"

lol
Yep.

Earlier in the shift Foligno failed to get the puck out of the zone. Should have been a simple play. You could feel the goal coming after that.
Matthews got the puck up to him. He must have forgot that Foligno doesn't know how to use a hockey stick.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Looking forward to your shift-by-shift critiques of Laine's play. *looks at post history* ...oh....I guess not.
I don't like to say anything about Laine's game because that thread is just pure cancer. And there's no need to be hostile just pointed that one thing out cause people were talking about it. They are two different kinds of players and both generational talents!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah. Being a strong two-way player doesn't mean you are perfect 100% of the time. So long as you are making a lot more strong defensive plays and coverage than you are mistakes then you are still a good two-way player.

And yeah are talking about 18-year olds in a tournament you almost never see them playing prominent roles in.

Anyways, has been fun watching Matthews and seeing what he can do. Only getting more confident as the tournament has gone along. Trusting more his own shooting and getting nice results offensively. Two-way play has been good the whole time I thought.

Yeah, thought his teammates really blew it on that 2-0 goal for Canada. Mistakes happen though in hockey.

Shea Weber whom I consider one of the best at his position in the world had a god awful game 7 against the Shawks, and that was that.

Other thing to keep in mind is that the U.S. team on paper is just flat out awful. They are overachieving at this point and Matthews linemates for the majority of this tournament have not been that strong.

You look at the team Canada roster *seriously, if he had any team Canada's wingers...* or even a line like Jokinen-Barkov-Laine (I consider it to be 1st line NHL calibre) vs Matthews with Vatrano/Maroon/Schroader/N.Foligno....it's just not in the same universe.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
TSN Commentators just now:

"We're still trying to figure out what Matthews doesn't do well"

lol

Matthews got the puck up to him. He must have forgot that Foligno doesn't know how to use a hockey stick.

He is like Barkov, but with a better shot. That shot is elite for sure.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Matthews is much more dynamic but Barkov has better two-way game

Same age i'd say Barkov-Matthews 2-way game is very comparable and likely on par. We're just looking at Barkov today and he's obviously picked up a few years of NHL experience and would definitely be a better 2-way guy then Matthews right now due to age/experience.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Same age i'd say Barkov-Matthews 2-way game is very comparable and likely on par. We're just looking at Barkov today and he's obviously picked up a few years of NHL experience and would definitely be a better 2-way guy then Matthews right now due to age/experience.
Yea i think Matthews is pretty much a copy of Barkov, but with a bit better skating at the same age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad