Born: 17-SEP-1997, Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

topelement.jpg

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2072929

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Is he NHL ready? Serious question because even with McDavid I would have loved to put him a bubble to let him physically mature for 6 months.

I don't know any No. 1 pick that wasn't "rush" into the NHL except Eric Johnson... Matthews seems to be older than most in his draft and played pro with men so the jump shouldn't be too big.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Is he NHL ready? Serious question because even with McDavid I would have loved to put him a bubble to let him physically mature for 6 months.

I don't know any No. 1 pick that wasn't "rush" into the NHL except Eric Johnson... Matthews seems to be older than most in his draft and played pro with men so the jump shouldn't be too big.

Matthews is 6'2 210lbs, played against men this season and leading his country in the world championships.

He is NHL ready and can be a top 6 center easily as soon as this up and coming season.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

I forget who it was, I think it was Bob Mackenzie, said he was NHL ready last year. Watching him play in this tournament I'd say he's ready.

Irzi

Jan 2, 2016
He looks too much like Sami Kapanen in that pic! Shouldn't draft him.

snizzbone*

He looks more NHL ready than Foligno and Larkin so I'd say so yes. Instantly becomes the Leafs best player the second he joins the team.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think this is one case where the first overall pick is definitely NHL ready. He's playing well in the World Championships, seems physically able to handle the NHL next season.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I think this is one case where the first overall pick is definitely NHL ready. He's playing well in the World Championships, seems physically able to handle the NHL next season.

I don't even think there's a question about this. Matthews looks like he'll slot right into Toronto's top lines easily next season. Not because the other centers are bad, but because he's playing that good. I doubt he'll need any seasoning. Next season can't come soon enough!

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

He's about as NHL ready a prospect can ever be.

Size, experience in a men's league, maturity. It is all there.

Last year, a case could have been made that a little seasoning would help. At this point, he's been ready for months and an NHL spot is guaranteed barring an injury.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Expecting a blowout today in favour of Canada. They dismantled the Swedes and Sweden has a better team than the Americans.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012

Reminds me alot of Ekblads draft year. He looked fully ready for the NHL too and jumped in his first year and made an impact.

snizzbone*

Heard this on the WPG radio the other day. Dreger sort of addresses the whole Babcock going to watch FIN/DEN instead of USA/CZE:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-12...-of-canada-s-most-consistent-players-1.492778

8:00

I was not that far away from Mike Babcock watching that game, he was in St. Petersburg with us and the Americans obviously played the Czechs in Moscow. So we were watching it on the in house feed in the lounge. And when he hit the cross bar, I mean, Babcock was just shaking his head in disbelief. At the play that he made to get that scoring chance. So, he's as good as promised. And I think the Toronto Maple Leafs can't wait to get their hands on him.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On

one77

Dec 22, 2013
He's a special prospect. Just below McDavid/Crosby IMO, above Tavares/Stamkos tier. If he was in last year's draft, I'd have him go #2 behind McDavid, ahead of Eichel.

No question he goes #1. I don't know how there's even a debate about it, there's no chance he's going #2. It's almost as guaranteed as when McDavid went #1...

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Looked good in the first. Some great passes and solid defensive play for the most part, although his line was scored on. Had a couple of takeaways.

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
Looked good in the first. Some great passes and solid defensive play for the most part, although his line was scored on. Had a couple of takeaways.

I didn't watch the first, but just heard Anson Carter say that he thinks "Matthews will want that period back"

JA

I didn't watch the first, but just heard Anson Carter say that he thinks "Matthews will want that period back"
Matthews' line was stuck on the ice for a very lengthy defensive-zone shift; they were under siege from Brendan Gallagher's line. Matthews, in particular, was beaten in the corner by Gallagher just moments before Gallagher scored the 1-0 goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad