C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I thought it was because that other guy has two hemispheres' worth of nitwits with strong opinions ensuring that the fun never ends on his threads.

It may even be a benefit for Matthews who gets to be the 1OA in relative peace from the wider media attention (not Toronto media of course) if the other guy continues to sport the sort of media sexiness that the media just can't wait to beat out of him.

Mad Brills*

I thought it was because that other guy has two hemispheres' worth of nitwits with strong opinions ensuring that the fun never ends on his threads.

It may even be a benefit for Matthews who gets to be the 1OA in relative peace from the wider media attention (not Toronto media of course) if the other guy continues to sport the sort of media sexiness that the media just can't wait to beat out of him.

Ha. Imagine laine vs the steve simmons/feschuk's of the world.

Fireworks.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The last post in the Laine thread doesn't belong to you. So you might wanna hurry up and post there again. And sorry that we're not all sitting here talking about how Matthews will score 50, grow another 1-2 inches before the draft and break down his skating into 0.1 second segments to talk about how elite his skating is.
Hmph.

Just so you know, this isn't as easy as you think.

This took me 90 minutes:

Matthews vs Czechia puck reliability(even strength), no OT:

Good pass, Good receive pass, Good shot, Good loose puck(+4, -0)
Bad receive pass, Bad loose puck(+0, -2)
Good receive pass, Good pass(+2, -0)
Good dump(+1, -0)
Good loose puck, Bad pass(+1, -1)
Bad loose puck(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Good receive pass, Good shot(+2, -0)
Good loose puck(+1, -0)
Good loose puck, bad dump(+1, -1)
Good receive pass(+1, -0)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass, Good loose puck, Good pass(+2, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Good pass(+1, -0)
Good loose puck(+1, -0)
Good loose puck, Bad pass(+1, -0)
Bad pass(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Good loose puck, Good pass(+2, -0)
Good receive pass, Bad shot(+1, -1)

Note that these are my personal statistics and judgements, there might be some inaccuracies and things up to interpretation.

Matthews vs Czechia:

41 times on the puck in total. 28 good things with the puck, 13 bad things. 68.3%.

The breakdown for the specific actions you can derive from above, I'm too lazy. The specific plays / sequences are separated with lines above so if there's a play you disagree with me on, count the amount of times Matthews made a play with the puck to see that you're on the correct line and then let me know what I interpreted incorrectly.

One "notable" thing I completely ignored was when goalie gave Matthews the puck and he left it behind his goal for another skater to pick up. I didn't count that as either a good received pass nor a good pass as it was way too trivial, some might.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Regardless of "that other guy", why is this thread so dead? Does no one just feel like looking up examples of Matthews's plays and analyse his play style / compile shift by shifts and look at what sorts of things he does in the way I like to do with "the other guy" or is it that Matthews is already a pretty well known and established asset so there's not many surprises left and not that much to discuss anymore?

I've been pretty disappointed with this thread.

This is how Hfboards usually works. Nobody watches the actual games just stats.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Hmph.

This took me 90 minutes:

Good dump(+1, -0)
Bad loose puck(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Good loose puck(+1, -0)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Good pass(+1, -0)
Good loose puck(+1, -0)
Bad pass(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)

Note that these are my personal statistics and judgements, there might be some inaccuracies and things up to interpretation.

Matthews vs Czechia:

41 times on the puck in total. 28 good things with the puck, 13 bad things. 68.3%.

The breakdown for the specific actions you can derive from above, I'm too lazy. The specific plays / sequences are separated with lines above so if there's a play you disagree with me on, count the amount of times Matthews made a play with the puck to see that you're on the correct line and then let me know what I interpreted incorrectly.

One "notable" thing I completely ignored was when goalie gave Matthews the puck and he left it behind his goal for another skater to pick up. I didn't count that as either a good received pass nor a good pass as it was way too trivial, some might.

Nice. Can you do the other games too? You should start a thread and update it with top prospects every year. Since its your personal opinions and judgements it would be cool to follow these types of breakdowns on a yearly basis to see what type of results we see at an NHL level after a while.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Nice. Can you do the other games too? You should start a thread and update it with top prospects every year. Since its your personal opinions and judgements it would be cool to follow these types of breakdowns on a yearly basis to see what type of results we see at an NHL level after a while.

Most things are pretty clean cut, some are tougher. If you receive a pass but can't fully receive it and the puck escapes you but ends up with your teammate, is that a good received pass and a good pass? Certainly not, but it's not a bad received pass, either. In that case, it might become a blank. If that ends up with your teammate getting a scoring chance? Did it look intentional? How is their body language looking?

This stuff is a massive pain in the ass to compile even though it's IMO the best stat to use for a player in the long run. As I don't get paid to do it, I just take a look at a few select games for players that interest me.

Speaking of which, Joonas Donskoi in stanley cup finals had around 73% and Crosby had about 78% so it's not like Matthews's was bad by any means overall. He had a few bad passes later on and let a couple of passes through which I considered receivable.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Hmph.

This took me 90 minutes:

Good dump(+1, -0)
Bad loose puck(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Good loose puck(+1, -0)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)
Good pass(+1, -0)
Good loose puck(+1, -0)
Bad pass(+0, -1)
Bad receive pass(+0, -1)

Matthews vs Czechia:

I love this!!! this is such a cool way to look at a game for a player!!! Awesome job!! If we can find a way to keep it the same criteria for each player we have a winner here

Imagine how bad a player like Clarksons would be :lol:

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
The guy's a great player, but his confidence worries me a little bit. In interviews he just says what they want him to say. Guy has no own will.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
The guy's a great player, but his confidence worries me a little bit. In interviews he just says what they want him to say. Guy has no own will.

Why is being respectful a bad thing? Does he need to be obnoxious and out spoken to be "confident"

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

You mean like 99% of NHL players do? I'm all for having personality but if it meant avoiding constant rumors and other media-related headaches, I'd keep it out of the public eye too.

[MOD] Continue: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=119301585

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad