C Alexandre Texier - KalPa, Liiga (2017, 45th, CBJ)

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Hmmm, well I'm definitely a massive follower of mid-major hockey and jnk is as well but maybe we're missing something. Name all these kids from mid-major countries who come over with significant deficiencies and improve ten-fold to become top prospects.

I'd argue Draisaitl improved quite a bit when he came over. Zuccarello got a lot better once he got to Sweden, his skating and defensive play in particular. A couple of danes has taken big leaps in Sweden/NAas well.
There's certainly a massive benefit for young talented players to join top end developement systems.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I'd argue Draisaitl improved quite a bit when he came over. Zuccarello got a lot better once he got to Sweden, his skating and defensive play in particular. A couple of danes has taken big leaps in Sweden/NAas well.
There's certainly a massive benefit for young talented players to join top end developement systems.

Of course it is, no doubt about it. But teams rather take players who've been developed in North America from the start. They are usually just closer to the NHL which is a big factor. But, that's also the reason why "late-round steals" like Zetterberg, Kucherov, Palat, Hornqvist, etc. are usually European. The only times when North American late-rounders end up being big steals is when they dropped due to size.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It's not that there's no benefits to coming over but we're talking about improvement over the projected rate, and when we're talking about systematic deficiencies, coming to NA isn't a cure-all. The guy who ran the program Draisaitl played at in Germany for instance, I think there are definitely some coaches in the Euro system who are a little pretentious as far as their developmental beliefs and I'm not going to stop anyone from categorizing him that way, but he would be the first to tell you that Draisaitl was a pretty sure-fire prospect even before he got to NA. Sweden is very dissimilar to NA so I don't believe lumping categories would produce great results either.

NicolasH

Feb 9, 2008
Rouen (France)
France won against Belarus 3-1 today. Alexandre Texier was center of the second line. First time I saw him play. He looked great but got hurt in the first period, did not return to play. Read on twitter he will likely miss the world championship.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
France won against Belarus 3-1 today. Alexandre Texier was center of the second line. First time I saw him play. He looked great but got hurt in the first period, did not return to play. Read on twitter he will likely miss the world championship.

So unfortunate...
Shoulder injury, out for the tournament.
He was impressive in the 1st period, played on the 2nd PP and had a few chances.
I won't see him in Paris, so disappointing for him this close from the beginning of WC :(

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
These are very tough questions. NHL-wise I don't think it'd be a wise choice for him to stay in France (don't mean to offend anyone), so he should look for other opportunities. The CHL (QMJHL) would be a good choice, but he could also see if he gets a chance of "moving up" to NLA. I guess the final answer depends heavily on which team ends up taking him in the draft.

I don't think he'd have a problem transitioning into the CHL leagues, should he decide to come over. I've only seen clips of his play though, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I read somewhere that Grenoble's direction was already aware that Texier would be gone next season. I'm not a big fan of Swiss League, not because of the level, because it's probably the best league in Europe with SHL Sweden, but SM-Liiga in Finland is much more fitted for aspiring euro kid dreaming of NHL, physically this league is the closest to NA intensity, Finns are the best to prepare kids to pro level.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Still no information about where he's playing next season? I heard Finland, but could he join OHL or any junior league ?

I read somewhere that Grenoble's direction was already aware that Texier would be gone next season. I'm not a big fan of Swiss League, not because of the level, because it's probably the best league in Europe with SHL Sweden, but SM-Liiga in Finland is much more fitted for aspiring euro kid dreaming of NHL, physically this league is the closest to NA intensity, Finns are the best to prepare kids to pro level.

No news yet.
He's on rehab (shoulder) and has a school exam soon, I guess will know after that.
He's definitely considering Finland and CHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Those who are from Quebec/France know it would be stupid to think he is better suited for the Quebec league compared to another CHL league. Yes they speak the same language, but I know hundreds of French people who have lived in Quebec and there's a reason they mostly associate with other French people or even Anglophones rather than Quebecois, there are big differences between the two cultures.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Not automatically of course, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Could he join SM Liiga team and play in Jr A SM Liiga ? I know that U20 championship in Finland is quite good. It would be nice to see Texier join a top team like Tappara or KalPa , or Lukko so he can play with Claireaux and adapt to the Finns lifestyle.

Can we compare him to Tim Bozon? He had great numbers in u18 in Swiss league, then great points in CHL, but his transition to pro level in AHL wasn't so great, even being cut off to ECHL, Bozon was a 3 round pick.

Last edited:

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Can we compare him to Tim Bozon? He had great numbers in u18 in Swiss league, then great points in CHL, but his transition to pro level in AHL wasn't so great, even being cut off to ECHL, Bozon was a 3 round pick.

Sure, if Texier gets a life-threatening illness and loses 20 pounds as a result of it just before he's about to turn pro we could make that comparison.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Sure, if Texier gets a life-threatening illness and loses 20 pounds as a result of it just before he's about to turn pro we could make that comparison.

Bozon is back healthy again, of course it slowed down his development but you can't argue that even before his illness he didn't looked liked a full time nhler.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Could he join SM Liiga team and play in Jr A SM Liiga ? I know that U20 championship in Finland is quite good. It would be nice to see Texier join a top team like Tappara or KalPa , or Lukko so he can play with Claireaux and adapt to the Finns lifestyle.

IMO, Texier is way better than Tim Bozon (at the same age).
Texier was impressive with the National team in friendly games and made the team (well, was injured just before the start but still). Bozon made the team back then but was a non factor in all games.

He has a better attitude as well, team leader, working hard for the team. Bozon is a little but too selfish IMO (at least, he was in 2016 Worlds).

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
For someone nobody is talking about, it turns out teams like him quite a bit.

I seem to be the only one who isn't high on him. I'd love if he proved me wrong, but I really won't be surprised if he ends up being one of the second-rounders who never play a game in the NHL. He also seems like a top-six-or-bust type of guy, which doesn't make things easier for him.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I seem to be the only one who isn't high on him. I'd love if he proved me wrong, but I really won't be surprised if he ends up being one of the second-rounders who never play a game in the NHL. He also seems like a top-six-or-bust type of guy, which doesn't make things easier for him.
Bottom six or bust guy for me. I think there's always a level of novelty when a kid comes from a non-traditional country and plays in a senior league but lower PPG in a weaker league than Rudolfs Balcers and the tape probably did more to dissuade me than the paper. I've been wrong before, plenty of times, very human, but that's my take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad