C Alexandre Texier - KalPa, Liiga (2017, 45th, CBJ)

Alveio

Apr 13, 2015
Looks like he made the French national team according to elite prospects. http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=11317&status=stats

Yeah he is in the big list of 50 players. But being in the 14 (or 15 ? Can't remember) forwards for the Worlds will be different. I think he deserves a shot, but there are some good forwards with more experience that deserve it too.

From what I see, I guess that :

Fleury
Stéphane and Teddy Da Costa
Meunier
Sacha and Yorick Treille
Lampérier
Raux
Bellemare
Henderson

They all will be in Paris. I hope Roussel will be cleared to go by the Stars too. So it leaves like 4 or 5 spots for Rech, Texier, Claireaux, Perret, Lacroix, Gaborit, Berthon and 2 or 3 more.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yeah he is in the big list of 50 players. But being in the 14 (or 15 ? Can't remember) forwards for the Worlds will be different. I think he deserves a shot, but there are some good forwards with more experience that deserve it too.

From what I see, I guess that :

Fleury
Stéphane and Teddy Da Costa
Meunier
Sacha and Yorick Treille
Lampérier
Raux
Bellemare
Henderson

They all will be in Paris. I hope Roussel will be cleared to go by the Stars too. So it leaves like 4 or 5 spots for Rech, Texier, Claireaux, Perret, Lacroix, Gaborit, Berthon and 2 or 3 more.

Whatever happened to Charles Bertrand?

He attended NYI camp and last I heard he playing in Finland?

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Whatever happened to Charles Bertrand?

He attended NYI camp and last I heard he playing in Finland?

Bertrand is in the doghouse for whatever reason. I don't think we will see him with the national team any time soon.

I don't think Henderson will be there, but Douay will. IMO Rech, Perret and Claireaux are also sure to make the team. Texier will fight for the last spot in the team. He has to show a bit more than in the U18 to be in.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Hopefully Texier can find a spot on a NLA team for next year, doesn't he have a Swiss-player license -like a lot of French players? If he doesn't he could still find a spot in the NLB, he'd be better off playing for the EVZ Academy than in the French league.

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Hopefully Texier can find a spot on a NLA team for next year, doesn't he have a Swiss-player license -like a lot of French players? If he doesn't he could still find a spot in the NLB, he'd be better off playing for the EVZ Academy than in the French league.
I don't think NLB is that much better than the french league. Rech had a breakout season in the french league and was struggling playing for the EVZ Academy at the start of the season.
I hope he finds a team in the chl. Would be fun to follow him there.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
Were the French still successful in the NHL, except Roussel? Belmar does not count (he is a player of the 4th level).

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Were the French still successful in the NHL, except Roussel? Belmar does not count (he is a player of the 4th level).
Beside Roussel and Bellemare(who we are happy to have even if he does not count), France had a few games from Da Costa and Auvitu, Huet and P.Bozon (and a couple of bi-nationals) and that's it. Hockey is a very minor sport in France. So we would be happy if Texier ends up as good as Bellemare/Roussel even, to be honest.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
No.

I don't think NLB is that much better than the french league. Rech had a breakout season in the french league and was struggling playing for the EVZ Academy at the start of the season.
I would disagree. However, he should do fine in the CHL because senior playing experience definitely helps to an unspeakably level.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland

Ya so if he was struggling in the NLB and thrived in the French league, the NLB must be a tad better than the French league... I still think he could be a good player in the NLB next year and fully develop there.

Alveio

Apr 13, 2015
Ya so if he was struggling in the NLB and thrived in the French league, the NLB must be a tad better than the French league... I still think he could be a good player in the NLB next year and fully develop there.

I don't think it would be a step up to go in NLB, tbh. I guess going to the CHL is the best option for him (if he can go).

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
He joined the training camp but has to earn his spot.
Not done yet.

Tough to imagine him not making the team. It's not as if France had a lot of good players or a great depth. Yet I agree he has to show on the ice that he's better than the other guys and don't take it for granted.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Tough to imagine him not making the team. It's not as if France had a lot of good players or a great depth. Yet I agree he has to show on the ice that he's better than the other guys and don't take it for granted.
On the other hand, if he makes the team, the WC would be a great showcase of what France is capable of producing within its league. I hope for him that he makes the final cut!

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Texier's skating and defensive play scare the crap out of me. He's a long-term project and I wouldn't pick him before the fourth round if at all.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Texier's skating and defensive play scare the crap out of me. He's a long-term project and I wouldn't pick him before the fourth round if at all.
So the Central is completely out of track and having him at 16th on the EU skater rankings is a typo? Where and how many times have you seen him play to make such affirmations? (I'm not questionning your opinion, i just want to get the most out of it.)

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
So the Central is completely out of track and having him at 16th on the EU skater rankings is a typo? Where and how many times have you seen him play to make such affirmations? (I'm not questionning your opinion, i just want to get the most out of it.)

Central Scouting also has Kostin at No. 1 and I haven't heard from anyone who agrees with that assessment. As far as I know, NHL clubs don't put much stock in their rankings either but rather use their lists to get players on the radar that they hadn't known of or watched previously.

But to answer your question, I saw him play five times; four U18 games, one in the French league - unfortunately, all online. Take this with a grain of salt, because nothing can replace live views, but five games are generally good enough to get a solid idea of a player.

Here's my full report for a little more detail, in case you are interested:

A player from a non-traditional country that came a bit out of nowhere to move up into third-round consideration. Texier is a highly skilled player who can move past opponents with quick dekes. He can stickhandle in tight spaces thanks to his quick hands. His overall puckcontrol is good as well, as he has very soft hands that let him receive passes without the puck bouncing off his stick blade, allowing him to quickly make plays when he gets the puck. Texier had 10 goals and 9 assists in the French league this season, but I see him developing more as a playmaker. He has excellent vision and plays accurate passes in the offensive zone, able to set up scoring chances. His shot, on the other hand, is not quick or accurate enough to be a shooter at the highest level. Texier likes to rush past defensemen and drive to the net, but he can't always finish those plays and probably can't do the same thing against stronger competition.
The biggest concerns about Texier are without a doubt his skating and defensive play. His backward-forward transitions are slow and choppy, the same goes for his first few strides. His top speed is decent - he looks surprisingly speedy with the puck, still able to pull off dekes - and he has a long stride once he is in full stride, but he takes way too long to get there. His first steps can look like a "running man" style, as he doesn't dig his edges into the ice but rather just tries to make quick steps. Texier is also one of those guys who like to do the "one-foot push" when roaming around the ice, rather than doing proper crossovers that would allow him to accellerate quickly. That said, he has some ability to pull off deceptive moves, like a quick turn of his feet before moving in the other direction, but his edge work is too choppy overall. Furthermore, Texier is very slow on the backcheck and doesn't always seem to put in maximum effort. His defensive awareness and positioning are subpar and he often moves around all over the place and doesn't really get engaged. He also lacks strength and doesn't have prototypical NHL center size, but he plays a pro-style physical game in that he finishes checks frequently and in U18 play runs over players in his way, which is something not many junior players do in Europe.
This was a long list of red flags, but if Texier can work with a skating coach and get more aware of his defensive role, he could make it to the NHL one day. He does have the vision and offensive smarts, as well as the skill to become an offensive impact player. He is certainly a long-term project, though, who would be best off moving to the Swiss league or the CHL. Central Scouting sees him as a second or third-round pick but as much as I want to trust their knowledge and experience, I can't see it. For me, he's in the 90-120 (fourth round) range.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Is he eligible for the import draft / is that his plan?

We think that's the plan, going to Canada.
We'll see.

Thanks for the scouting report. I have seen a few games (U18 WC and league) and I have to agree, he's a work in progress.
Don't forget where he comes from. It's the 1st time ever scouts were coming to French league to see a player. Training isn't at the top of the hockey world at this point in France. We'll see how he progresses with specific coacing for his skating, shot and all. I thought he was good in the face off circle, but has of course to work on that to, or switch to the wing.

He's on his way to the senior team for the Worlds, I look forward to see him play live.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Central Scouting also has Kostin at No. 1 and I haven't heard from anyone who agrees with that assessment. As far as I know, NHL clubs don't put much stock in their rankings either but rather use their lists to get players on the radar that they hadn't known of or watched previously.

But to answer your question, I saw him play five times; four U18 games, one in the French league - unfortunately, all online. Take this with a grain of salt, because nothing can replace live views, but five games are generally good enough to get a solid idea of a player.

Here's my full report for a little more detail, in case you are interested:

A player from a non-traditional country that came a bit out of nowhere to move up into third-round consideration. Texier is a highly skilled player who can move past opponents with quick dekes. He can stickhandle in tight spaces thanks to his quick hands. His overall puckcontrol is good as well, as he has very soft hands that let him receive passes without the puck bouncing off his stick blade, allowing him to quickly make plays when he gets the puck. Texier had 10 goals and 9 assists in the French league this season, but I see him developing more as a playmaker. He has excellent vision and plays accurate passes in the offensive zone, able to set up scoring chances. His shot, on the other hand, is not quick or accurate enough to be a shooter at the highest level. Texier likes to rush past defensemen and drive to the net, but he can't always finish those plays and probably can't do the same thing against stronger competition.
The biggest concerns about Texier are without a doubt his skating and defensive play. His backward-forward transitions are slow and choppy, the same goes for his first few strides. His top speed is decent - he looks surprisingly speedy with the puck, still able to pull off dekes - and he has a long stride once he is in full stride, but he takes way too long to get there. His first steps can look like a "running man" style, as he doesn't dig his edges into the ice but rather just tries to make quick steps. Texier is also one of those guys who like to do the "one-foot push" when roaming around the ice, rather than doing proper crossovers that would allow him to accellerate quickly. That said, he has some ability to pull off deceptive moves, like a quick turn of his feet before moving in the other direction, but his edge work is too choppy overall. Furthermore, Texier is very slow on the backcheck and doesn't always seem to put in maximum effort. His defensive awareness and positioning are subpar and he often moves around all over the place and doesn't really get engaged. He also lacks strength and doesn't have prototypical NHL center size, but he plays a pro-style physical game in that he finishes checks frequently and in U18 play runs over players in his way, which is something not many junior players do in Europe.

This was a long list of red flags, but if Texier can work with a skating coach and get more aware of his defensive role, he could make it to the NHL one day. He does have the vision and offensive smarts, as well as the skill to become an offensive impact player. He is certainly a long-term project, though, who would be best off moving to the Swiss league or the CHL. Central Scouting sees him as a second or third-round pick but as much as I want to trust their knowledge and experience, I can't see it. For me, he's in the 90-120 (fourth round) range.

Red flags? He has a weird skating style and is poor defensively, those are not red flags when you were developed in France. Get this kid to NA and he will improve ten-fold, he has the skills to be considered a top prospect.

Don't get me wrong, I have never seen this kid play, but just from reading your report, seems to me like this player has a lot of raw potential, great skills and confidence, size and power, but just needs some good coaching and development in order to reach his true potential.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Red flags? He has a weird skating style and is poor defensively, those are not red flags when you were developed in France. Get this kid to NA and he will improve ten-fold, he has the skills to be considered a top prospect.

Don't get me wrong, I have never seen this kid play, but just from reading your report, seems to me like this player has a lot of raw potential, great skills and confidence, size and power, but just needs some good coaching and development in order to reach his true potential.
Hmmm, well I'm definitely a massive follower of mid-major hockey and jnk is as well but maybe we're missing something. Name all these kids from mid-major countries who come over with significant deficiencies and improve ten-fold to become top prospects.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Red flags? He has a weird skating style and is poor defensively, those are not red flags when you were developed in France.

I have to disagree. Being developed in France might be a reason for that kind of play, but it's still a red flag no matter what.

Get this kid to NA and he will improve ten-fold, he has the skills to be considered a top prospect.

I have to disagree again. Sure, he will improve, just like every other drafted player will improve. But he has a lot more work to do than many others who are likely top-90 picks. The draft goal for any team is, in a way, landing a home run, but also drafting as many future NHL players as possible. So when one player seems really close to the NHL but projects to be a bottom-six two-way guy and another has the skill to be a second-line player but seems 5 years away if he ever makes it, most will draft the former.

Texier has talent, which is why he will be drafted, but there is a lot to dislike that will need a ton of work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad