C Alexandre Texier - KalPa, Liiga (2017, 45th, CBJ)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
What are the changes that players like Alexandre are picked in the draft, who are from obscure leagues like this? Has this happened before?

Very good chance he gets taken in the mid rounds, especially in a "weak" draft like this. I'd be shocked if he went undrafted.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
His next league should be NLA, not CHL.
I know that the Russian fanbase is pretty upset about the perception of prospects being ruined by the CHL but this prescription is by all accounts silliness.

The French league is not a strong league. Sure, it is stronger than a decade ago, but little is said in that statement. The NLA is one of the strongest leagues in Europe, and like the French league has a low import limit, 6 imports. That means he would have to be good enough to star as an import for an NLA team next season. Is there any indication that he is? No. Can he sign with an NLA team's junior program? No. He would need to be eligible for a Swiss license, which means a 5 year contract before he turns 20. Furthermore, why go through the trouble of going to a german-speaking country when he could go to a francophone province?

I don't know him personally, I don't know if his plan is specifically the CHL, but if it is he is choosing a proven path which makes logistical sense both for him as an athlete and him as an individual.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
What are the changes that players like Alexandre are picked in the draft, who are from obscure leagues like this? Has this happened before?

This is two questions, and to answer them: there are no changes, just happens that Texier is really good, and while the French league is probably mid-tier in Europe, he's done enough to show he can probably perform at a higher level; and yes, players get drafted out of odd places, but not often, because it's hard to gauge how good they would be against top players. Depending on how you want to define what an "obscure league" is, there have been draftees from the UK (Tony Hand in 1986), Poland (Mariusz Czerkawski in 1991, Marin Kolusz in 2003), and various lower-level leagues in more mainstream countries (Alexander Edler in 2004 being a prominent case here). But there has not been anyone drafted out of the French league yet, so if Texier is selected it will be a big deal in that way, and could lead to more scouts paying attention to it, or at least the junior players in France, which is always a good thing as it means more options for better players.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I know that the Russian fanbase is pretty upset about the perception of prospects being ruined by the CHL but this prescription is by all accounts silliness.

The French league is not a strong league. Sure, it is stronger than a decade ago, but little is said in that statement. The NLA is one of the strongest leagues in Europe, and like the French league has a low import limit, 6 imports. That means he would have to be good enough to star as an import for an NLA team next season. Is there any indication that he is? No. Can he sign with an NLA team's junior program? No. He would need to be eligible for a Swiss license, which means a 5 year contract before he turns 20. Furthermore, why go through the trouble of going to a german-speaking country when he could go to a francophone province?

I don't know him personally, I don't know if his plan is specifically the CHL, but if it is he is choosing a proven path which makes logistical sense both for him as an athlete and him as an individual.

French is one of the three Swiss official languages, along with German and Italian. As far as I remember French speaking Geneva is the 2nd biggest Switzerland city.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
France had 6 goals in their win against Hungary today, but Texier somehow didn't register a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad