C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When will we know who makes team Canada?
Invites for try-outs come out early December. Last year it was December 3rd which was the first Monday of December. Final cuts won't be until around 20th or so. Sometimes it isn't until the 24th/25th.

Reactions: KingLB

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
thats odd...

Not really. He just doesn't have a great lobby with Team Canada for whatever reason. They suprisingly cut him once last year for the Hlinka I think as well. IMO he has been among the better players against USports and IMO certainly could have gotten a spot.
But I guess between politics and wanting to ice a more traditional bottom6, he was the odd man out with Hayton and Veleno returning...

Reactions: Lemonlimey

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Not really. He just doesn't have a great lobby with Team Canada for whatever reason. They suprisingly cut him once last year for the Hlinka think as well. IMO he has been among the better players against USports and IMO certainly could have gotten a spot.
But I guess between politics and wanting to ice a more traditional bottom6, he was the odd man out with Hayton and Veleno returning...

yeah i was gonna say Team Canada has something on this kid somehow.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
can’t have a ontario kid lose a spot to a Newfoundlander, that’s what’s going on.

Yeah I dont think thats it considering Mercer is still around. Theyve never liked Newhook for some reason, he'll be there next year though

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah I dont think thats it considering Mercer is still around. Theyve never liked Newhook for some reason, he'll be there next year though
The reason is pretty obvious. The same one Makar was #7D despite being head and shoulders above anyone on that team.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Makar was given short shrift at the WJCs also, hockey Canada really doesn’t like kids going to college

Newhook gets a no to Hlinka, yes to WJAC and yes to U18 and now a no to WJC.

Sometimes at the U18 they are not in a position to be as picky with the NCAA kids because multiple CHL teams have prospects going to deep in the playoffs. This season the U18 tournament pretty much only allows for players from 1st round exits or very quick exits in the 2nd round. Canada will probably have limited options as far as their player pool goes. Will Sudbury go out in the first round? Saginaw? Erie? That's just a few of the teams with valued prospects.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Newhook ripped off again. At least he can play next year but from what If the two games vs USports were actually for evaluation he should have made it.

Holloway is another one .

I'd hate to think its because they play College over CHL .. that would be a terrible message especially when they are handing spots to players like Dudas who are bubble players that never had to be evaluated vs the other invites.

There are always some :huh: decisions by HC

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Newhook ripped off again. At least he can play next year but from what If the two games vs USports were actually for evaluation he should have made it.

Holloway is another one .

I'd hate to think its because they play College over CHL .. that would be a terrible message especially when they are handing spots to players like Dudas who are bubble players that never had to be evaluated vs the other invites.

There are always some :huh: decisions by HC

Of course its because of that.
These guys are traitors for choosing college abroad over the mighty cash cow that is the CHL. They usually also stiff one of the big teams that hold their rights in the process. Of course that type of behaviour needs to be punished. Can't have that. Team Canada executives heavily rely on the cushy jobs and lobby they are afforded due to their connections in the Canada youth setup. That old boys club needs to be protected at all cost.
Thats why routinely these guys get the short end of the stick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad