C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I wonder if playing alongside top-10 talents in Krebs and Cozens and looking as good or better than one or both on any given shift will help him climb back to where he should be rated.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
His stock is definitely rising at these u18s
It’s a wierd draft. He lost stock and might regain some, i had him 3OV in the early season... still love the guy and hope montreal picks him if he’s still there. Players raising will make some guys who’s been in the top 10 for ever drop pretty bad, thats where you ask yourself how high can a guy like Caufield climb?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Was there character issues previously?

I recall Team Canads Snubbing him out of some events due to off ice stuff.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

There were some rumors about his character but none of them have been proven true. He shouldve been on the Canada West team that won gold last season and should have definitely been on the Hlinka team, but no idea wtf goes through HCs heads sometimes. Hes been a delight to watch here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

None, and that's not true in the slightest

Just talk to his coaches or anyone he's been around and you would hear the exact opposite.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Any Tyson Jost comparisons?
Ya, he is the elephant in the room. Jost being rushed up to the NHL should be a cautionary tale for those tempted to do the same with Newhook. Unless he is absolutely killing it at the college level he has to play at least two years there...maybe have him sign in the spring of the second year.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
It's probably a pipe dream, but if the fact that he played in the BCHL scares enough teams that he drops to the 20-22 range and the Rangers can grab a combination of him AND Kakko/Hughes, I will run down 7th Avenue in my birthday suit........

Reactions: Dominance

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He's a better skater than Jost and more naturally skilled. I also think Newhook fits better on the wing than Jost.

Other than the BCHL angle, I don't think there is a lot to compare here. Just different types of players. But I agree - 2 years college minimum.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's probably a pipe dream, but if the fact that he played in the BCHL scares enough teams that he drops to the 20-22 range and the Rangers can grab a combination of him AND Kakko/Hughes, I will run down 7th Avenue in my birthday suit........

My only issue with the BCHL is from a historical aspect. How many stars have been drafted from there? Then again, times change, not long ago the USHL wasn't as popular, and now a lot of good players are coming out from that system, so who knows.

Reactions: CaptTennille

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
My only issue with the BCHL is from a historical aspect. How many stars have been drafted from there? Then again, times change, not long ago the USHL wasn't as popular, and now a lot of good players are coming out from that system, so who knows.

Which bchl players taken in first 3 rounds WERE busts? Almost all become NHL players at some point. Top players in BCHL usually go pro and put up good numbers or dominate college hockey. The talent level is pretty darn good for Junior A.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Which bchl players taken in first 3 rounds WERE busts? Almost all become NHL players at some point. Top players in BCHL usually go pro and put up good numbers or dominate college hockey. The talent level is pretty darn good for Junior A.

I'm sure the talent has improved, but it's a little different when you're drafting in the top-10 and you have lots of other players ranked ahead. As I mentioned, I do like his skills a lot and I would be willing to gamble on him anywhere from 8-12. But the track record is still not there for the BCHL, at least not for my liking.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
People are coming up big time on this kid this whole tournament. He’s starting to push himself into that 3-10 range where the players a blurred a little bit in differences. Wouldn’t be surprised if a team in the top 10 really likes his package and jumps at him.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Newhook will make a good NHL center due to his playstyle but really needs to work on his faceoffs. He supports the d-zone down low quite well, good position, great at breakouts with his explosive strides and accurate passing.

It really tells to see if he plays well in college and if he does, that will prove to me he will translate well to the NHL. I think he's worth a top 15 pick at this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad