C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
how would it work if a Canadian born and raised player wants to go to the USHL? Never seen it before.
USHL futures draft or just signing with a team, same as the CHL.

Bowers 2 years ago.

One of Newhooks best friend's and fellow Newfoundlander Brett Budgell last year.

There are literally dozens upon dozens every year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
how would it work if a Canadian born and raised player wants to go to the USHL? Never seen it before.
It happens fairly often. Sam Gagner did it, Ontario kids threaten it all the time to force their way to certain teams. In recent years, as mentioned Shane Bowers did it.

Owen Power who was considered a top 10 OHL draft prospect last year, is playing in the USHL this year. Either because he really wants to go to Michigan, or he was bluffing his way to try to fall to a team he wanted in the OHL draft. He got drafted by Flint in the 2nd and he wasn't going to report there, so now he's with the Steelheads.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Owen Power who was considered a top 10 OHL draft prospect last year, is playing in the USHL this year. Either because he really wants to go to Michigan, or he was bluffing his way to try to fall to a team he wanted in the OHL draft. He got drafted by Flint in the 2nd and he wasn't going to report there, so now he's with the Steelheads.

Not a suprise really, Flint has been a trainwreck for atleast 3 years now.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
USHL futures draft or just signing with a team, same as the CHL.

Bowers 2 years ago.

One of Newhooks best friend's and fellow Newfoundlander Brett Budgell last year.

There are literally dozens upon dozens every year.

2 more recent ones: Wade Allison (PHI) and Cameron Morrison (COL)

Reactions: Lemonlimey

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Gets tremendous amount of ice
pp time
is a north south player
good speed and execution
needs to get emotions in check and keep fustrations down
i still think he has potential first round

again the big challenge is that BCHL is rapidly falling behind other Noth american JrA leagues like NAHL and NCDC
so its really going to be hard to judge accordingly and competition

but he has talent

Theres more talent being drafted from the BCHL than ever before so this statement is false. Newhook will be fine.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Watched him live a couple times this season. Very smart player, you can see the skill for sure when he has the puck on his stick. Seems to win alot of his faceoffs.

TheProspectNetwork

Jan 3, 2018
theprospectnetwork.ca
Just had my 3rd viewing of Newhook this season. Again, looked dominant out there and came out with 2 points. His speed through the neutral zone is phenomenal and his vision is top notch. I can see his offence translating well into the NCAA next season and potentially into the NHL. Only 10 points in 8 games as of right now but it won't be long before he is up to around the 2 points per game mark.

Reactions: 99664987

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Where’s he likely going?
Still mixed reviews?
I’ve seen mocks (I know it’s early) with him going later in the top-10, but then I’ve seen him going in the 15-20 range as well.

Does the BCHL thing hurt him as opposed to if he played in the CHL?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Where’s he likely going?
Still mixed reviews?
I’ve seen mocks (I know it’s early) with him going later in the top-10, but then I’ve seen him going in the 15-20 range as well.

Does the BCHL thing hurt him as opposed to if he played in the CHL?

Hes got a good shot at leading the BCHL as a draft eligible. Dont remember the last time that was done, if ever. The top of this draft is really solid, if he does that I think he goes top 10 for sure.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hes got a good shot at leading the BCHL as a draft eligible. Dont remember the last time that was done, if ever. The top of this draft is really solid, if he does that I think he goes top 10 for sure.
Scott Gomez?

EDIT: nvm not his draft year

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016

Jost would have in 2015-16 had he not missed time with the WJAC and a minor injury. He had the highest ppg rate by a decent margin.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Jost would have in 2015-16 had he not missed time with the WJAC and a minor injury. He had the highest ppg rate by a decent margin.
Also had an overaged guy who was a star in the USHL and NCAA already prior to going to the BCHL. Led his USHL team as an 18 year old in scoring, had 26 pointsat Penn State in the NCAA, dismissed by his team for violations, then goes to BCHL and leads league in scoring.

He helped Jost out, big-time, just as Jost helped him as well. It's much easier to put up points when you have a gu, at the minimum, on your level. Especially a 20 year old with full seasons in the NAHL, USHL, and NCAA where he was the top scorer.

They both inflated each others stats quite a bit compared to how they would have fared without each other.

Newhook doesn't have that kind of guy, aside from Campbell whom Newhook is going to make an NHL drafted player.

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
Also had an overaged guy who was a star in the USHL and NCAA already prior to going to the BCHL. Led his USHL team as an 18 year old in scoring, had 26 pointsat Penn State in the NCAA, dismissed by his team for violations, then goes to BCHL and leads league in scoring.

He helped Jost out, big-time, just as Jost helped him as well. It's much easier to put up points when you have a gu, at the minimum, on your level. Especially a 20 year old with full seasons in the NAHL, USHL, and NCAA where he was the top scorer.

They both inflated each others stats quite a bit compared to how they would have fared without each other.

Newhook doesn't have that kind of guy, aside from Campbell whom Newhook is going to make an NHL drafted player.

Very true, and Jost also had Fabbro on that team, their PP was lethal. Newhook's production is probably the most impressive BCHL performance since Turris in recent memory.

Weird side note, hockeydb has Turris listed ag 121 points in 53 games, but BCHL records say 111 points in 48 games.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

There's really no comparison between the two teams, 15/16 Penticton was completely stacked - two first rounders, every player with an NCAA commitment. Jost was fantastic that year, but points accumulate quicker when you have a deep roster like that.

Victoria, on the other hand, is a very average team without Newhook.

Scoring is also down in the BCHL since the 15/16 season. For a handful of reasons.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Does anyone else find it odd that this kid has been cut from every HC team? Even the WJAC??
Can anyone explain this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad