C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Around 1.71 PPG now. Great to see him picking up the pace. No idea how or why FC has him ranked #26 :confused:

i think it all has to do with the league level

does a 45-50 point chl draftee earn the same rating as a 85 point jrA player ?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The kid is talented and makes other best assets around him come out
also for me personally i was cautious on him going into season and he has delivered and made folks around him better

i think the challenge is the league level
BCHL
imo this year is maybe an off yr in talent as i rank it well behind the chl/ushl and now even behind the nahl...

would have liked to see a higher caliber league play especially going into draft
That's laughable. I only found 1 player who played in the NAHL and is in the NHL other than the old NTDP teams that played in that league. BCHL has more future NHLers.

Look at the last 3 WJACs, it goes West, USA, West. The USA team is made up of players from the USHL, not even NAHL players (worse players). West is usually 70-80% BCHL and best players (Cholowski, Jost, Fabbro) are usually BCHL.

Reactions: Mercedes Benn

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Watch him live. Plays in spurts. Spurts are good enough to produce some points but not like he is out there controlling the game even at this level. Has some obvious talent but can lag behind the play. To me there is aspect of Gilbert Brule in his play.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Watch him live. Plays in spurts. Spurts are good enough to produce some points but not like he is out there controlling the game even at this level. Has some obvious talent but can lag behind the play. To me there is aspect of Gilbert Brule in his play.
He is destroying the league, no one is remotely close, he is absolutely controlling the game.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He is destroying the league, no one is remotely close, he is absolutely controlling the game.

He definitely disappears at times and can make some bad plays with the puck but in a single moment he can absolutely take over and score or set up a beautiful play. I think the NCAA will be a bit of an adjustment to his overall game as he takes on better comp but I could see him being a 2 year player and really taking over by his 2nd year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He definitely disappears at times and can make some bad plays with the puck but in a single moment he can absolutely take over and score or set up a beautiful play. I think the NCAA will be a bit of an adjustment to his overall game as he takes on better comp but I could see him being a 2 year player and really taking over by his 2nd year.
He is leading the league in scoring by 8 points with 3-6 less games played than everyone else, and has 17 more points than the next scorer on his team.

The difference between he and the next closest guy in the league is the largest the league has seen in over 2 decades, while also being the youngest.

He is controlling the game as much as anyone in the league has in the past 20 years.

I don't foresee much adjustment to the NCAA

Reactions: Lemonlimey

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
That's laughable. I only found 1 player who played in the NAHL and is in the NHL other than the old NTDP teams that played in that league. BCHL has more future NHLers.

Look at the last 3 WJACs, it goes West, USA, West. The USA team is made up of players from the USHL, not even NAHL players (worse players). West is usually 70-80% BCHL and best players (Cholowski, Jost, Fabbro) are usually BCHL.

If you look at commitments they are about even. Sure the top end of the BCHL is probably better, but as a whole there isnt much separating the two. USHL cuts go to the BCHL or the NAHL.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He is leading the league in scoring by 8 points with 3-6 less games played than everyone else, and has 17 more points than the next scorer on his team.

The difference between he and the next closest guy in the league is the largest the league has seen in over 2 decades, while also being the youngest.

He is controlling the game as much as anyone in the league has in the past 20 years.

I don't foresee much adjustment to the NCAA

That doesn't mean he doesn't have bad stretches of play that just means his great stretches of play are very very good. Jost and Turris also took over the BCHL for stretches in their time and didn't need much adjustment to the NCAA so it's possible he doesn't. They also played in a stronger overall league though, at least IMO. Newhook is a great pl;ayer but he has his moments where you think "what the hell were you thinking?"

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
If you look at commitments they are about even. Sure the top end of the BCHL is probably better, but as a whole there isnt much separating the two. USHL cuts go to the BCHL or the NAHL.

Big difference is that NCAA starting to pull and trending more players from NAHL vs BCHL primarily due to being a more physical and defensively minded game vs BCHL more minded on offence

Speak to NCAA coaches they will tell u the struggles with the 200 foot games of BCHL players

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Big difference is that NCAA starting to pull and trending more players from NAHL vs BCHL primarily due to being a more physical and defensively minded game vs BCHL more minded on offence

Speak to NCAA coaches they will tell u the struggles with the 200 foot games of BCHL players

Yeah exactly. NAHL is much more physical and system oriented compared to the run and gun, offensive style the BCHL is known for. Its not a knock on the BC at all, they produce better top end players. But if you look at depth of the league then I think NAHL takes the cake there

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Benton Maass is probably the best pick out of the NAHL recently, and he's not looking too hot. You have to go back to 2009 for Nic Dowd for the last NHLer. NAHL guys aren't doing great in the NCAA either.

There is no probably better, the top ends are not comparable whatsoever. USHL cuts don't make up the BCHL, it's made up of Canadians going the NCAA route.

The best team in NAHL has 4 commits to Bemidji, Bently and Robert Morris...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Not sure where you're gathering that, I speak to NCAA involved guys pretty often

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Benton Maass is probably the best pick out of the NAHL recently, and he's not looking too hot. You have to go back to 2009 for Nic Dowd for the last NHLer. NAHL guys aren't doing great in the NCAA either.

There is no probably better, the top ends are not comparable whatsoever. USHL cuts don't make up the BCHL, it's made up of Canadians going the NCAA route.

The best team in NAHL has 4 commits to Bemidji, Bently and Robert Morris...

I literally just said that better top end players come thru the BCHL. But then again the best Americans will go to the USHL, which isnt an option in Canada. If you want to stay in Canada and retain your eigibility then the BCHL is the best it gets. And go thru eliteprospects, you would be surprised at how many USHL cuts are in the BCHL. 4 of the top 5 scorers are USHL cuts lol

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I literally just said that better top end players come thru the BCHL. But then again the best Americans will go to the USHL, which isnt an option in Canada. If you want to stay in Canada and retain your eigibility then the BCHL is the best it gets. And go thru eliteprospects, you would be surprised at how many USHL cuts are in the BCHL. 4 of the top 5 scorers are USHL cuts lol
That's my point, the NAHL gets neither the best Americans or the best/any Canadians. The BCHL does have Americans choose the BCHL such as already drafted players such as Hughes and Gendron and Bennett, along with the best Canadain guys going the NCAA route.

Alex Newhook is in 1st and has played in the BCHL since he was eligible
Ryan Brushett is in 2nd has been in the BCHL since he left the USHL at 16/17, just started doing well as a 20 year old
Mike Hardman is 3rd and wasn't a cut from the USHL, he left on his own to join Merritt. He came 4th in scoring for Des Moines last year.
Bradley Cocca is 4th left the USHL at 17 and struggled as an 18 year old in BCHL. Just started doing well as a 19 year old.
Chase Dubois is 5th and is from BC and played in the BCHL since he was 16

Only 3 played in the USHL, and were cut at 16/17 2 and 3 years ago. None of these guys are USHL cuts as you're making them out to be.

Older players do tend to be better when they are 19/20 compared to 16/17 that they would have been in the USHL.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But I am guessing whatever team Jost was on was probably a lot stronger as he had that other 1st round pick out of nashville on his team as well. Would be interesting to compare team records.
Much stronger. Leading scorer on his team was a 20 year old who had already played NCAA but was booted off his team as a 19 year old.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
That's my point, the NAHL gets neither the best Americans or the best/any Canadians. The BCHL does have Americans choose the BCHL such as already drafted players such as Hughes and Gendron and Bennett, along with the best Canadain guys going the NCAA route.

Alex Newhook is in 1st and has played in the BCHL since he was eligible
Ryan Brushett is in 2nd has been in the BCHL since he left the USHL at 16/17, just started doing well as a 20 year old
Mike Hardman is 3rd and wasn't a cut from the USHL, he left on his own to join Merritt. He came 4th in scoring for Des Moines last year.
Bradley Cocca is 4th left the USHL at 17 and struggled as an 18 year old in BCHL. Just started doing well as a 19 year old.
Chase Dubois is 5th and is from BC and played in the BCHL since he was 16

Only 3 played in the USHL, and were cut at 16/17 2 and 3 years ago. None of these guys are USHL cuts as you're making them out to be.

Older players do tend to be better when they are 19/20 compared to 16/17 that they would have been in the USHL.

BCHL neither gets the best canadiens
and they get dropped / cuts from whl/chl

and many already come into the bchl with ncaa commitment in hand

rare that the top end programs recruit from bchl

same with nahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad