C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
What would happen if Barkov actually had a goalscorer to play with? Haapala and Nieminen would NEVER play 1st line duties on teams like HIFK, Kärpät, Jokerit, Kalpa, JyP etc. Barkovs linemates have been this good only because of Barkov. I`d like to c him play with actual 1-liners and c what happen!

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
What would happen if Barkov actually had a goalscorer to play with? Haapala and Nieminen would NEVER play 1st line duties on teams like HIFK, Kärpät, Jokerit, Kalpa, JyP etc. Barkovs linemates have been this good only because of Barkov. I`d like to c him play with actual 1-liners and c what happen!

Nieminen have been very good and Haapala aswell. That line have been top 2 line of FEL and it's not only because of Barkov. Credit belongs to every player in that line. Barkov could be soul of that line but anyway he's getting really good support from Ville Nieminen and Haapala.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nieminen has looked pretty good in all the games I've watched, solid offensive talent and plenty of hustle. He put up 42 points in 55 games for Tappara in 08/09, not to mention 35 points in 53 games in the KHL in 2010/11, I think he's a solid top 6 winger in the SM-liiga. Haapala does seem like a bit of a product of the line, but he's not terrible or anything, and Nieminen seems like a solid linemate who carries his weight.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Agreed, from what I've seen of him Thornton is definitely the best comparison (the current, 2-way version of Thornton, as opposed to the absolute assist machine version). By no means do I think he's as good as Thornton right now, but he plays a similar style of game, and I think his upside is similar to current Thornton, maybe even better.

After watching some games. I have started to drool just at his skill.

As well very high praise from Button.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Nieminen has looked pretty good in all the games I've watched, solid offensive talent and plenty of hustle. He put up 42 points in 55 games for Tappara in 08/09, not to mention 35 points in 53 games in the KHL in 2010/11, I think he's a solid top 6 winger in the SM-liiga. Haapala does seem like a bit of a product of the line, but he's not terrible or anything, and Nieminen seems like a solid linemate who carries his weight.

Nieminen is a top6 yeah, but now both Haapala and Nieminen are producing points like top liners! I`ve seen countless of games this year, where they should have scored a lot more getting theese superb plays from Barkov! Nemo is playing physically and makes a case for helping creating space for Barkov there(Like Hartnell), but IMO - a pure goalscorer instead of Haapala would make that line insane!

Oan

Jan 31, 2011

And here is the same in text form: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407200

Halifax Mooseheads centre Nathan MacKinnon and Portland Winterhawks defenceman Seth Jones have been battling it out for the top spot in the 2013 NHL Draft so far this season, but there's another great young talent to watch out for as well from the Finnish Elite League.

Aleksander Barkov is tearing it up overseas and deserves to be in the conversation regarding the No. 1 spot for the rest of the season. That's how good he is.

He just turned 17 on Sept. 2 - just a day after MacKinnon turned 17. But Barkov played in the Finnish Elite League last season as a 16-year-old and he was a very good player.

This year, he's being asked to lead that team. Tappara is a middle of the pack team in SM-liiga, but you are looking at a big player who is equally adept playing a physical game or a skill game. He's also equally adept in his ability to score and set up plays.

But what really impresses me about Aleksander Barkov is his ability to do things quickly and take advantage of things that are given to him. There's no reason for me not to believe that his name could potentially be the first one called out in June.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Some guy says this at TSN site:

I think a lot of chl junior teams could beat the finish elite teams.
ryan_rudderham.:amazed::shakehead:help:

Last edited:

cydas

Jun 15, 2012
Yeah... FEL is clearly about on the same level as peewee hockey, when for example guys like Corey Locke come here from AHL all-stars game to dominate, scoring the impressive amount of one(1) goals in ten games! Barkov who scores only 15 points in eleven games propably wouldn't even make it in the fourth line of a CHL team :sarcasm:

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland
btw. Why is the SM-Liiga translated into FEL(Finnish Elite League) in english? The swedish SEL(Swedish Elite League) is a translation of Elitserien, and that makes sense, but never understood the whole Finnish Elite League thing. Wouldn't Finnish Championship League make much more sense?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I've been saying it since last year (and maybe it was a little premature then) but I think Barkov is one of the few players in this draft that can challenge MacKinnon.

In fact for all the talk about Jones, I actually think Barkov is the only one in this draft that can challenge MacKinnon. That's not to take away from Jones or Monahan or others, I just hold Barkov in a very high regard.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Today Ässät with Joel Armia hosts Tappara with Barkov. I hope there is stream for you guys. I expect intense and physical game between these 2 teams. Both teams plays NHL-like game.

Lineups:

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/ottelut/kokoonpano/37599.html

Barkov seems to be about 210 lbs via FEL official page. 6'3 and 220 lbs with excellent skating at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season is very possible. If he can develope his skating and physicality like he did at this summer then there is strong possibility him playing in the NHL next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad