C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
SM-Liiga = Finish language.

This is an english board.

In Sweden some say SM-liga but many people also use the swedish translation - FM-Liga.

Just like Elitserien (swedish) is called SEL in english.

SEL makes more sense than FEL though, because the translation of 'Elitserien' to English is in fact 'Elite League'.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
Tappara wins 2-1, Barkov with the assist on the game-winner. This is the third game in a row with 21+ playing minutes for him; and back-to-back nights; Friday 22:45 TOI, today 22:35. He's getting a lot of trust from the coaching staff; I think this was the fourth game his line has been "the 1st line" although I think they have been used like one for almost the whole season.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Tappara wins 2-1, Barkov with the assist on the game-winner. This is the third game in a row with 21+ playing minutes for him; and back-to-back nights; Friday 22:45 TOI, today 22:35. He's getting a lot of trust from the coaching staff; I think this was the fourth game his line has been "the 1st line" although I think they have been used like one for almost the whole season.

So in over 45 minutes he has a goal and a secondary assist......... When will Finnish prospects stop being busts?

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
I think the amount of hype Barkov is getting here is kinda ridiculous. Surely he's a very good prospect, but you guys from Finland are just too much. It was a similar situation on the message board when Granlund was playing well in Finland. Both obviously have great potential, but you sometimes get the impression that they are the best 2 prospects of all time when you read this message board. Ridiculous.

By the way, are Russia trying to get Barkov playing for their national team or can we 100% assume that he'll be playing for Finland during the rest of his career?

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
I think the amount of hype Barkov is getting here is kinda ridiculous. Surely he's a very good prospect, but you guys from Finland are just too much. It was a similar situation on the message board when Granlund was playing well in Finland. Both obviously have great potential, but you sometimes get the impression that they are the best 2 prospects of all time when you read this message board. Ridiculous.

By the way, are Russia trying to get Barkov playing for their national team or can we 100% assume that he'll be playing for Finland during the rest of his career?

Well, usually guys complain about small size of them finnish prospects, now that there is no size factor and way better player overall who is tearing up the league and dominating shift to shift i think he has deserved the hype. Just watch the game tomorrow when Barkov and Lindholm faces each other and be thrilled about Barkov's individual skill level.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Barkov just turned 17 year old. Hes leading entire league in goals and is 3rd in points. He is very good two way player who dominates all of the 3 zones. He have logged +22 minutes of ice time in recent games. He's playing all situations and is capable of playing center position as barely 17 year old and winning most of the faceoffs. Barkov is one of the best players of the league. I think that he have played himself into discussion and not to be overhyped. There have been streams of his many games and unbiased NA posters have praised him on this thread. Barkov is just 2 weeks off being 2014 draftee. Granlund played pure offensive role at his draft year. He wasn't top player of the league but did very good. Barkov is right now good skater but needs more explosiveness but he is physically beast, mentally mature and for sure one of the smartest in entire draft. Barkov overhyped? What makes you think he's overhyped? Because that he is finnish? Read posts from NA users. Barkov has done everything to deserve that hype.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Barkov is one of the first draft-pick candidates so there are alot of reasons hyping him.

Before heading to NA Granlund was generally the best prospect outside NHL so the hyping in his case is not from nowhere.

Both are great prospects and will most likely have long carreers in NHL.

I think Swedish prospects in fact are more over hyped. Alot of first rounders who have not reached anywhere near their so called potential.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

How can one overhype a potential 1st overall pick? Also kinda ironic coming from a swede.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

I agree that the hype for finnish top prospects from some posters is getting overboard, and some people tend to expect crazy things. However, I don't think its cool coming here to point a finger at everyone here claiming that we as a group all are ridiculous with the crazy overhype. If you don't agree with something, reply, share your opinion. Don't just come here vaguely pointing fingers.

Also we have to remember that Barkov starting to be considered a potential 1st overall pick (All the traits expected of an NHL ready player, the insane production, his young age), and considering there has never been one from Finland, I'm willing to forgive some guys for being too enthusiastic. And he is darn good player, just look at him.

To answer your question, I am pretty much 99,9% sure he'll play for Finland his whole career. He already has played for Finland in two IIHF hosted tournaments, meaning that he would have to play 4 years on Russian soil to be eligible to change the country he represents internationally. Also he has stated that he considers himself a finn, and all his friends are finnish, etc.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As an American who largely relies on scouting reports, highlights and the big tournies, it seems to me that Barkov sounds a lot like Granlund, but half a foot taller.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Anyone know if he has a legit shot at breaking any records? I can't find the record for goals, but apparently 56 games so I would be somewhat disappointed if he doesn't hit atleast 30.

Would assume it's the 47 in 44 games from Arto Javanainen?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

Already played in IIHF events so wouldn't he have to sit out of international competition for a few years before playing for Russia? Not gonna happen, he grew up in Finland, plays in Finland and has already played for Finland internationally.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

Granlund played amazing tournament where Finland ended up winning Gold. Was very good in his draft year. Best prospect in a long time for Finland.

Barkov is tearing up FEL and just turned 17. Is a legit potential first overall pick. If he's picked first overall he would be the first finnish born ever to do that.

I think the hype is valid at this point to us and if you dont like i suggest you dont come to read about it.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Anyone know if he has a legit shot at breaking any records? I can't find the record for goals, but apparently 56 games so I would be somewhat disappointed if he doesn't hit atleast 30.

Would assume it's the 47 in 44 games from Arto Javanainen?

That's the one.

The record for most goals by a rookie is 33 by Teemu Selänne and he was 20-21 when he did that. I don't remember what the record is for most goals by a player before his draft year, but I doubt it's over 20. I really do think that Barkov's scoring pace will go down, and I definately won't be disappointed if he doesn't score 30. 30 is a ridiculous amount nothing close to that has ever happened by a player his age.

There's 60 games in the regular season of which Barkov will miss atleast 6 because of the WJC.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
As an American who largely relies on scouting reports, highlights and the big tournies, it seems to me that Barkov sounds a lot like Granlund, but half a foot taller.

With much lesser downside as well (skating, which seems to be improving with more strength he gains ans also technically).

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
so.. i'm trying to watch this Barkov game (12/10) http://www.justin.tv/tapparasaravo, but, just like the other times links to his games were posted here, i'm not able to see anything.

The counter says 1.456 views, so apparently others can watch and i'm missing something?

thx in advance for anyone helping me out with this.

Try to change browser i had black screen when i tried to watch it with firefox, chrome and iPhone did worke for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad