C Aatu Räty - Abbotsford, AHL (2021, 52nd, NYI, traded to VAN) - PART 2

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I think that's just confirmation bias. No other league has produced so many high end talents as FEL in recent years. Not all of them can hit the ground running in NHL.

Compare that to for example swedish league that has barely produced any high end talents recent years

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Finnish league is trash, they have really dropped off in terms of quality lately.
Its barely a top 5 league in Europe anymore. KHL, SHL, NLA and DEL are all better leagues without a question. I would think they are similar level league to the Extraliga or Austrian league.

That being said they are very good as a development league as seen by the various high draft picks, and NHL players they have produced over the last 10 years or so.

Reactions: CPFC and molotce

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
KHL, SHL are better than Liiga, NLA I'd say its close. DEL is not at the level of Liiga as of right now, and I'd also say the difference between SHL and Liiga isn't that big either.

Reactions: Morriz

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
KHL, SHL are better than Liiga, NLA I'd say its close. DEL is not at the level of Liiga as of right now, and I'd also say the difference between SHL and Liiga isn't that big either.

NLA surely is the better league, compare the rosters, coaches etc. DEL is also very underrated league, it is absolutely as good as la Liiga.

I disagree with Liiga being close to SHL, i think it's clear that SHL is levels better. The best Liga teams would compete against the best SHL teams yes, however the Middle table and worst SHL clubs would kill the middle and bad Liga teams.

Also there are Allsvenskan teams that would beat liga teams, meanwhile if you play an Mettis team (Finnish 2nd division) against Allsvenskan team (Swedish 2nd division) they would get absolutely destroyed.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Finnish league is trash, they have really dropped off in terms of quality lately.
Its barely a top 5 league in Europe anymore. KHL, SHL, NLA and DEL are all better leagues without a question. I would think they are similar level league to the Extraliga or Austrian league.

That being said they are very good as a development league as seen by the various high draft picks, and NHL players they have produced over the last 10 years or so.

If the league is so bad, how is it producing so many NHL talents?

This confuses me, because I actually completely agree that Liiga has seemingly been on a downfall. The best players transfer to KHL, NLA and SHL all the time, they draw less crowds, there are less star players and general interest towards the league etc...

Yet it produces more good NHLers than ever. :huh:

Maybe young players prosper because they have a better chance to get a big role in a liiga team nowadays? While before it was very hard to displace all the good veteran players. Maybe the style of play has gotten more similar to NHL along with the rink sizes. I dunno.

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022

This confuses me, because I actually completely agree that Liiga has seemingly been on a downfall. The best players transfer to KHL, NLA and SHL all the time, they draw less crowds, there are less star players and general interest towards the league etc...

Maybe young players prosper because they have a better chance to get a big role in a liiga team nowadays? While before it was very hard to displace all the good veteran players. Maybe the style of play has gotten more similar to NHL along with the rink sizes. I dunno.

I don't think the league being good or bad has a lot to do with the production of good NHL prospects. If anything the young guys are carrying the league on their shoulders due to having the biggest roles. The reason Liiga has declined in general is due to the top free agents singing in SHL KHL NLA DEL due to bigger wages etc.
Also from what I've heard the Liga officiating is the worst in these leagues.

I think this is it, there used to be really good top European league players and former NHL players in Liiga, now they are going to KHL etc, so the young guys have a bigger role in play.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Which makes it a bad argument not even worth noting.

Makes me very happy to see Aatu thrive. I thought he looked good in the NHL preseason too.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
overlooked no, but personally I take Liiga production with a grain of salt. I wish Raty keeps this up but I'm not sure what his potential is... The game there is slower, take a guy like juuso parssinen who had 42pts in 55 games in his 19-20yrs old season, great production but no one thinks he's going to be a top6. Time will tell, but his recent performances have definitely shown he developped his game and mental side of it. Hope he keeps it up !

We'll have to wait and see I guess. Many young players who have done well in their D or D+1 year have succeeded in the NHL as well. I wouldn't hype Räty as a future star, though anything is still possible. Second line center is what I expect at the moment. For me Pärssinen has been a surprise and I think he could pan out as a second liner, though I am expecting him to become a third liner. Also I would like to add that while the game is slower in Liiga, it is well coached and the scoring is harder. So scoring 42 points while being defensively responsible on a mediocre team is pretty impressive.

Reactions: molotce

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
NLA surely is the better league, compare the rosters, coaches etc. DEL is also very underrated league, it is absolutely as good as la Liiga.

I disagree with Liiga being close to SHL, i think it's clear that SHL is levels better. The best Liga teams would compete against the best SHL teams yes, however the Middle table and worst SHL clubs would kill the middle and bad Liga teams.

Also there are Allsvenskan teams that would beat liga teams, meanwhile if you play an Mettis team (Finnish 2nd division) against Allsvenskan team (Swedish 2nd division) they would get absolutely destroyed.

If NLA was clearly a better league they would have had more success in CHL. They do have some nice former NHL players but after those guys the talent isn't that impressive. Also Liiga definitely has better coaches. DEL isn't on par, that's for sure. Munchen is great, that's about it.

Reactions: bebl

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
The OHL produces more NHL players than Liga, so by this logic OHL is better then Liiga? :huh:
Huh? I was saying that calling Liiga worse than before is a worthless argument that has nothing to do with Finnish junior development.

You come here to call Finnish league trash, then few messages later you say "The quality of the league does not really matter".

So what the f*** was even the point of writing anything?

Reactions: bebl

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Huh? I was saying that calling Liiga worse than before is a worthless argument that has nothing to do with Finnish junior development.

You come here to call Finnish league trash, then few messages later you say "The quality of the league does not really matter".

So what the f*** was even the point of writing anything?

Did you read the comments before I made my first post here? I was agreeing with posters that said that the Liiga production isn't very impressive considering the level of the league. That doesn't mean he wont be a great player, just that the Liiga numbers don't really matter.

Like I said Liga is a good development league for young players looking to have a career in Europe or even the NHL. But as an overall league it is simply not good.

Take Kaapo Kakko for example. He put up 22 goals in 45 games as an 18 year old. Now he looks like a massive bust. Those kind of numbers would never happen in the other top European leagues such as SHL, KHL, NLA due to them being much stronger in terms of quality of play.

My point is that you shouldnt go crazy over young players producing good in Liiga, becose nowadays they are the best players in the league, so it isn't anything special to see these guys put up numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Don't forget "Eeli better than Petterson Tolvanen", Patrik "Next tier Legend in the making?" Laine, and Rasmus Ristolainen :laugh:
Tolvanen played in KHL and it's fairly rare for a teenager to do anything worth mentioning in that league. Laine jab I don't even understand, he has 162 goals in 376 games. Ristolainen I wouldn't know, wasn't around when people were excited about him, but I'd wager it was largely because Finland didn't have a lot of young talent, which resulted into great excitement over players like Vatanen, Granlund & Ristolainen.

To your argument that Liiga numbers do not matter; Without checking a single stat sheet, I can promise you that there's more NHL players with good Liiga totals than there are with bad. End of that discussion. Bringing up outliers like Kakko doesn't do much for your advantage. A player who is, by the way, 20 years old. So calling him a massive bust is just extremely childish.

Kaapo's Liiga numbers were special, no matter how he's done in the NHL so far.

Reactions: anfieldo

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Don't forget "Eeli better than Petterson Tolvanen", Patrik "Next tier Legend in the making?" Laine, and Rasmus Ristolainen :laugh:
Patrik Laine is a PPG player in the NHL this season, Eeli Tolvanen has never played in the Liiga and Ristolainen has been 20+ minute NHL defenseman, never a hyped guy.

You write a lot of BS, it's clear that you have never watched Liiga, how can you know it's level?

You guys are cherrypicking (Yo look at Kakko for example) while he is pretty much the only prospect who dominated liiga and struggled a lot in the NHL.

What about Heiskanen, Lundell, Barkov, Laine, Aho, Hintz etc. Bbbbbut it doesn't matter. Obviously it matters how many points they are putting up in Liiga.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Patrik Laine is a PPG player in the NHL this season, Eeli Tolvanen has never played in the Liiga and Ristolainen has been 20+ minute NHL defenseman, never a hyped guy.

You write a lot of BS, it's clear that you have never watched Liiga, how can you know it's level?

You guys are cherrypicking (Yo look at Kakko for example) while he is pretty much the only prospect who dominated liiga and struggled a lot in the NHL.

What about Heiskanen, Lundell, Barkov, Laine, Aho, Hintz etc. Bbbbbut it doesn't matter. Obviously it matters how many points they are putting up in Liiga.
Safe to assume no one outside Finland does, because it's almost impossible to watch it. Which begs the question, why do I bother answering to these posts?

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Safe to assume no one outside Finland does, because it's almost impossible to watch it. Which begs the question, why do I bother answering to these posts?
Yeah indeed. Quite bold statements to say that FEL is trash and barely top-5 league without seeing a single game.

Some Finnish people say it's trash, because actually back in the day it was #1 league in the Europe. So compared to previous years level has gone down. This guy gets his information regarding Liiga from hfboards so..

Star power wise NLA is better and maybe DEL too, but overall level and basic FEL player level is higher than DEL or Swiss NLA.

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Tolvanen played in KHL and it's fairly rare for a teenager to do anything worth mentioning in that league. Laine jab I don't even understand, he has 162 goals in 376 games. Ristolainen I wouldn't know, wasn't around when people were excited about him, but I'd wager it was largely because Finland didn't have a lot of young talent, which resulted into great excitement over players like Vatanen, Granlund & Ristolainen.

To your argument that Liiga numbers do not matter; Without checking a single stat sheet, I can promise you that there's more NHL players with good Liiga totals than there are with bad. End of that discussion. Bringing up outliers like Kakko doesn't do much for your advantage. A player who is, by the way, 20 years old. So calling him a massive bust is just extremely childish.

Kaapo's Liiga numbers were special, no matter how he's done in the NHL so far.

Are you kidding me? The Laine hypetrain was absurd, and the fanboys were insufferable literally comparing him to Mario f***ing Lemieux LOL. Laine is a good offensive player and a fantastic goalscorer obviously, but nowhere near the player he was supposed to be.

Also i can understand the mentality of over hyping players as there wasn't many to brag about before, i just think people should calm down with the expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad