C Aatu Räty - Abbotsford, AHL (2021, 52nd, NYI, traded to VAN) - PART 2

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
2015 there was another center prospect from Kärpät who should've gone 1st round. Hopefully this turns out to be as good for the Isles than it was for the Canes :laugh:

Hard to imagine better place for Räty to develop right now. Jokinen was a teen prodigy who struggled a lot during his first seasons in the NHL, but was able to turn it around and became a solid #1 center.
Aho only got notoriety because he lit up the WJC and the season after it. He had minimal hype before it, and that meant that he got to the 2nd round.
Whether how manufactured, Räty had #1 overall hype before the draft at times, and now has hopped to a new team entirely because Kärpät and Räty wasn't a match.
There's virtually nothing tying Aho and Räty together, and there's no real discussion to be had about a topic with the two in it.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Aho only got notoriety because he lit up the WJC and the season after it. He had minimal hype before it, and that meant that he got to the 2nd round.
Whether how manufactured, Räty had #1 overall hype before the draft at times, and now has hopped to a new team entirely because Kärpät and Räty wasn't a match.
There's virtually nothing tying Aho and Räty together, and there's no real discussion to be had about a topic with the two in it.
Both are centers from Oulu, played for Kärpät at the time of their drafts and both went 2nd round (Even though with their skillset should've gone 1st). I didn't compare them as players or style wise, i just said that hopefully Räty pick turns out as good for the Islanders as Aho was for the Canes = Goldmine.

I don't see what their hype levels has to do with my banter comparison.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

I see Raty being a very good jack knife player. He can fit a lot of tools at once, but masters none. Absolutely loving that at least

Reactions: SI90

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
One thing we have seen over the years that success in la liga doesnt always mean a thing.

Plenty of players who put up points over there but are struggling to take the next step.

Reactions: Zub

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
still, he's on pace for like 30 points at least, and a very productive player as well. i'm hopeful he becomes good

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
One thing we have seen over the years that success in la liga doesnt always mean a thing.

Plenty of players who put up points over there but are struggling to take the next step.

He's doing so much more than just putting up points, being a key player on PK, faceoffs and protecting the lead. Playing like a true #1 center, similar to Lundell last season.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It does but liiga's level of play as a league has been going down in the last years. There was a time it was the/one of the best in europe.

Sure but the production of Finnish prospects has been great for the last ten years or so when the quality of Liiga has gone down. Räty's success shouldn't be overlooked just because the level of Liiga is not what it used to be.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He's doing so much more than just putting up points, being a key player on PK, faceoffs and protecting the lead. Playing like a true #1 center, similar to Lundell last season.
I think I like that more, because he's very responsible. On a second note, how's his skating?

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019

True. But then again we can look at the players from recent years that have played absolutely lights out in Liiga and dominated there:

Barkov, Laine, Puljujärvi, Aho, Heiskanen, Kakko and Lundell. So there's 2 out of 7 that has struggled in the NHL after being dominant in Liiga.

Overall level of Liiga has gone down, without a doubt. But at the same time the production of top end talent is higher than ever, due to the fact that these young players get a chance to play in top lines, big minutes against grown men.

Liiga is still a fully professional league, and overall it's probably 4th in the Europe, and behind Swiss league only because of big money foreign players.

Reactions: Grantham

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Sure but the production of Finnish prospects has been great for the last ten years or so when the quality of Liiga has gone down. Räty's success shouldn't be overlooked just because the level of Liiga is not what it used to be.
overlooked no, but personally I take Liiga production with a grain of salt. I wish Raty keeps this up but I'm not sure what his potential is... The game there is slower, take a guy like juuso parssinen who had 42pts in 55 games in his 19-20yrs old season, great production but no one thinks he's going to be a top6. Time will tell, but his recent performances have definitely shown he developped his game and mental side of it. Hope he keeps it up !

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
overlooked no, but personally I take Liiga production with a grain of salt. I wish Raty keeps this up but I'm not sure what his potential is... The game there is slower, take a guy like juuso parssinen who had 42pts in 55 games in his 19-20yrs old season, great production but no one thinks he's going to be a top6. Time will tell, but his recent performances have definitely shown he developped his game and mental side of it. Hope he keeps it up !
True but Pärssinen had his breakout season last year. Age wise his 19-20 is much closer to Räty's current season, suddenly the comparison looks more favorable for Räty. So no, i don't think anyone would argue that Pärssinen had top6 NHL potential, those players don't stay in Liiga for 20yo season. Räty however has that 2C potential, Will he reach it is a different question, but If he "only" becomes a 3C that's still not too Bad for a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
True but Pärssinen had his breakout season last year. Age wise his 19-20 is much closer to Räty's current season, suddenly the comparison looks more favorable for Räty. So no, i don't think anyone would argue that Pärssinen had top6 NHL potential, those players don't stay in Liiga for 20yo season. Räty however has that 2C potential, Will he reach it is a different cuestion, but If he "only" becomes a 3C that's still not too Bad for a 2nd round pick.

I've only seen highlights, of course, but the thing that strikes me is that his production comes in a variety of ways. He's got skill, hockey sense, and tenacity. I'm not worried about his skating - if what we saw in NYI camp was indicative his skating is not something that will hold him back like, for example, it has with Koivula. My question, as a NYI fan, is whether he will be able to develop the ability to deal with NHL physicality along the boards, and around the net in a way that comes close to what he's been doing in liiga this year. That's what will determine imo how valuable an NHL forward he becomes.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think I like that more, because he's very responsible. On a second note, how's his skating?

Average, but I think he will improve a lot once he gets to North America, similar how Barkov/Rantanen did.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Average, but I think he will improve a lot once he gets to North America, similar how Barkov/Rantanen did.
oh so i have no real fear. he should be able to survive on the islanders system, and I doubt he ends up like Koivula btw. Otta skated worse and really just plays at a better AHL level

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Trotz was impressed at training camp and I keep going back to this. You don’t usually see Trotz with such high praise of a young prospect like this.

“I’ve been extremely impressed with the player to this point,” Trotz said in September. “Quite mature, has lots of game, high hockey IQ. He reminds me of a Zach Parise-type of player. Got a really good motor, always around the net, very intelligent, wins his puck battles, good hands. What a great pick by our scouts. There’s certain kids you get excited with that show up at camp, but he has this hole and that hole. There’s not that many holes in (Räty’s) game. He’s pretty well-versed in that. We talk about who impresses you, what do you see, he’s made a really good impression to start.”

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Trotz was impressed at training camp and I keep going back to this. You don’t usually see Trotz with such high praise of a young prospect like this.

“I’ve been extremely impressed with the player to this point,” Trotz said in September. “Quite mature, has lots of game, high hockey IQ. He reminds me of a Zach Parise-type of player. Got a really good motor, always around the net, very intelligent, wins his puck battles, good hands. What a great pick by our scouts. There’s certain kids you get excited with that show up at camp, but he has this hole and that hole. There’s not that many holes in (Räty’s) game. He’s pretty well-versed in that. We talk about who impresses you, what do you see, he’s made a really good impression to start.”

He probably makes the team next year I bet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad