Confirmed with Link: Bye Bye Byron (Claimed by Habs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
So to summarize, if we still had Byron over Bollig and Raymond, all would be fine and we would be favourites to win the Cup, just like how when Brodie came back, right?

Byron is a fine player, love the guy and was sad when he was claimed, but seriously this is getting ridiculous. People need to stop worrying about guys playing 7-8 minutes a night and look at the real problems of what this team are.

straw man
noun
noun: strawman

a person compared to a straw image; a sham.
a sham argument set up to be defeated.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, that was the very definition of a straw-man, Hox.

This is the Byron thread. If you guys click on this thread, expect discussion about Byron.

Fact of the matter is this board gives people a venue to express their opinions on the Flames. A number of posters are of the opinion that waiving Byron was a significant mistake. In a miserable stretch like we're on right now, apparent management mistakes are only magnified. I guarantee there wouldn't be so much angst if we actually were 13-0-0.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think the post is more frustration to the constant Byron talk in other threads.

But still, I'd still rather have Jooris, Ferland and Jones, the players he was competing with for a job. BUT, I think if Colborne wouldn't have gotten injured, he would've been waived.

Spilt milk at this point I guess, it'll be interesting to see what Montreal does when they get a full roster.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bollig's role is basically to waste a roster spot and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Let's put aside the fact that I think enforcers (and yes, that's the only thing he might potentially be good for) are stupid.

Bollig is a complete liability on the ice 90% of the time. He also, through 62 games last season, fought 7 times. How is he supposed to intimidate anyone when he's only dropping the gloves every 9 games? As far as physical play, Byron is equally as scrappy as Bollig (perhaps moreso); he isn't big enough to register a lot of official "hits" but he'll engage in a lot of body contact and play hard along the boards. And he can actually hockey.
As always you know better than Burke, Treliving & Hartley. We get it Bollig is garbage, he murdered your puppy and threw a box of kittens in a fire.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Bollig's role is basically to waste a roster spot and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Let's put aside the fact that I think enforcers (and yes, that's the only thing he might potentially be good for) are stupid.

Bollig is a complete liability on the ice 90% of the time. He also, through 62 games last season, fought 7 times. How is he supposed to intimidate anyone when he's only dropping the gloves every 9 games? As far as physical play, Byron is equally as scrappy as Bollig (perhaps moreso); he isn't big enough to register a lot of official "hits" but he'll engage in a lot of body contact and play hard along the boards. And he can actually hockey.

Give Bollig a break, he does more than just that. He takes penalties as well.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
As always you know better than Burke, Treliving & Hartley. We get it Bollig is garbage, he murdered your puppy and threw a box of kittens in a fire.

As always the fact that they run the team means that Burke, Treliving & Hartley are completely infallible as people and executives. I'm going to send a handwritten letter to Dave Nonis to let him know that he's unfairly maligned for the David Clarkson contract; he was a GM at the time, and therefore obviously couldn't have made a mistake.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not skilled enough for a top 9 role and too small to be an effective a 4th line player. You did not lose much imo. I wish we would not have claimed him as MT felt in love with him and is playing him with Patch and Plekanec. When MT fall in love with a grinder all hell breaks loose.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
You did not lose much imo. I wish we would not have claimed him as MT felt in love with him and is playing him with Patch and Plekanec. When MT fall in love with a grinder all hell breaks loose.

Wouldn't the last example of that have been Dale Weise though?... The guy that is 2nd in team goal scoring for the #3 team in the league.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Not skilled enough for a top 9 role and too small to be an effective a 4th line player. You did not lose much imo. I wish we would not have claimed him as MT felt in love with him and is playing him with Patch and Plekanec. When MT fall in love with a grinder all hell breaks loose.

He's good playing with skilled guys at 4 on 4. I'd probably keep him on a checking line at 5 on 5 though. Isn't Plekanec/Patch often your checking line though?

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Hi Flames Fans! Habs fan here who comes in peace!

I just wanted to link Paul Byron's magical play tonight vs Pittsburg Penguins:

The 2nd reason of this post is to bump up Paul Byron's thread.

Before saying goodbye, I just wanted to know something. If you ever knew what Byron would do with the Habs: would you rethink the decision of waiving him and where would he be in today's Flames line-up?

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Before saying goodbye, I just wanted to know something. If you ever knew what Byron would do with the Habs: would you rethink the decision of waiving him and where would he be in today's Flame line-up?

Many of us hated the decision in the first place, so there's nothing to rethink.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Before saying goodbye, I just wanted to know something. If you ever knew what Byron would do with the Habs: would you rethink the decision of waiving him and where would he be in today's Flames line-up?

did you read this thread? A large group of us thought it was a horrible decision from day 1

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
almost 5 years. time flies eh?

i can't be mad because let's get real, this is genuinely hilarious. the fact that we are currently employing zac rinaldo in an NHL capacity (and other goobers like tanner glass before that) demonstrate that brad learned nuthin' from this.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
did you read this thread? A large group of us thought it was a horrible decision from day 1

I shed a tear with what he wrote on the board.

I laugh when I saw the astronaut meme.

Ohh I just read all comments (thx god they were not 3000 words short stories!). Approximatively 80% would have kept him a bit longer until perhaps an offensive bloom from him.

I wish you an impact player for 2020 draft! I still have my Phaneuf Flames T-Shirt btw. I miss your city a lot and the Stampede!

Cheers. =P

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

We should have waived him 24 hours earlier and he'd still be a Flame. IIRC, Kassian getting drunk, getting his contract voided allowed the Habs to claim him.

Also, the guy who uploaded the stone hands Byron video, knowing what we know now, deleting the video would have kept Byron a Flame.

Lots of Flames fans were not happy in losing Spulll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad