Confirmed with Link: Bye Bye Byron (Claimed by Habs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You guys are making way too big of a deal out of this. It's Paul Byron ffs. Not some beleaguered star we chased out of town.

I wonder how CFHF would have defended Button buying out MSL.

Waiving Byron was a bad move any way you look at it because he would be consistently one of the 12 best forwards on the Calgary Flames. Getting claimed or being a superstar have nothing to do with that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If he had value he would have been traded.

Do you have evidence to support otherwise?

We're probably dealing with different definitions of the word "value" here, Ace. You're talking about value in an economic sense. Like, my water bottle full of Gatorade has no value because no one would ever actually pay me for it.

I think the quoted post was talking about value in the "MVP" sense- being a factor in success. Like, my water bottle full of Gatorade has value because it helps me win hockey games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wut. Byron wishes he was as good as St.Louis.

Hindsight sure comes in handy.

Not only that MSL was barely an NHLer when he left Calgary. Every team in the league allowed him to pass through waivers, so in reality every GM in the league was as bad as Button.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, highly doubt Treliving even tried to shop Byron. Seemed pretty evident that he wanted to keep Byron in the organization and was merely hoping to sneak him down so he could keep all three goalies up. In hindsight, I'd be willing to wager that Treliving would do things differoently, namely waive Hiller/Ramo/Bollig in place of Byron.

Really, it was one mistake compounded by another and a big reason for the poor start to the season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eh, highly doubt Treliving even tried to shop Byron. Seemed pretty evident that he wanted to keep Byron in the organization and was merely hoping to sneak him down so he could keep all three goalies up. In hindsight, I'd be willing to wager that Treliving would do things differoently, namely waive Hiller/Ramo/Bollig in place of Byron.

Really, it was one mistake compounded by another and a big reason for the poor start to the season.
evident
[ev-i-duh nt]

adjective
1. plain or clear to the sight or understanding:

His frown made it evident to all that he was displeased.
It was evident that the project was a total failure.

Origin of evident
1350-1400; Middle English < Latin ēvident- (stem of ēvidēns), equivalent to ē- e-1+ vident- (stem of vidēns) present participle of vidēre to see; see video, -ent

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Thanks guys, the guy's all class.. At first I was like ''Who"??? But he seems like an intelligent player that's enjoying being here. Who else will you waive, just asking

Really, fun story for the Habs.

Hope the best for you guys, get better, stop waiving lol

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hey guys, I know I'm supposed to be the Fanatic here on this subforum, but could we not make trade threads for Byron on the Proposals board?

K thx bye.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't believe the rule you are referring to made it through to the newest edition of the CBA. Could be wrong.
he can only be traded after being offered to any other team that put in a claim, I do not believe he has to be offered back to us. So he is likely able to be traded since it's unlikely the Rangers put in a claim

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
What good is Bollig? When hall plastered Johnny Saturday night there was no response to that. Byron, the little crap, would of at least took a run at hall.

Point is should of kept Byron.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What good is Bollig? When hall plastered Johnny Saturday night there was no response to that. Byron, the little crap, would of at least took a run at hall.

Point is should of kept Byron.

The same play where Bennett took a run at him right after? Or am I thinking of a different game?

In my mind, Bollig and Byron play vastly different roles, and the one player who plays a similar role yet also waived (Raymond) is the better comparable.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The same play where Bennett took a run at him right after? Or am I thinking of a different game?

In my mind, Bollig and Byron play vastly different roles, and the one player who plays a similar role yet also waived (Raymond) is the better comparable.

Bollig's role is basically to waste a roster spot and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Let's put aside the fact that I think enforcers (and yes, that's the only thing he might potentially be good for) are stupid.

Bollig is a complete liability on the ice 90% of the time. He also, through 62 games last season, fought 7 times. How is he supposed to intimidate anyone when he's only dropping the gloves every 9 games? As far as physical play, Byron is equally as scrappy as Bollig (perhaps moreso); he isn't big enough to register a lot of official "hits" but he'll engage in a lot of body contact and play hard along the boards. And he can actually hockey.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So to summarize, if we still had Byron over Bollig and Raymond, all would be fine and we would be favourites to win the Cup, just like how when Brodie came back, right?

Byron is a fine player, love the guy and was sad when he was claimed, but seriously this is getting ridiculous. People need to stop worrying about guys playing 7-8 minutes a night and look at the real problems of what this team are.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
So to summarize, if we still had Byron over Bollig and Raymond, all would be fine and we would be favourites to win the Cup, just like how when Brodie came back, right?

Byron is a fine player, love the guy and was sad when he was claimed, but seriously this is getting ridiculous. People need to stop worrying about guys playing 7-8 minutes a night and look at the real problems of what this team are.

This so much.. Can we just leave that poor horse alone now.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Not going to get into this whole "back and forth" between the Byron-Brigade and the Bollig-Boyz, but I'd argue Byron was a guy Hartley felt comfortable playing in the top 6 when a guy was struggling, unlike Raymond and Bollig. Right now "that guy" is Colborne and lo and behold he's arguably struggled at the very things Byron is good at (winning puck battles, defending the point) and it HAS cost the team to an extent. Ideally neither is in your top 6 but from what I've seen Byron is a guy who can face top competition better even if he's not a big point producer. Think Burrows whereas Colborne is just flat out miscast in this role. Colborne has been statistically our worst player by multiple metrics and yet he's been in the top 6. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad