Confirmed with Link: Bye Bye Byron (Claimed by Habs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
7pCha4x.jpg

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
and slot him in where? Semin doesn't fit here at all. We have a better version of him in Jones.

Throw him in and see if he works on 2/3 line, if he doesn't stick than you can just waive him. Move Jones down to 4th line if you need to, or move Huds back to LW. Hartley has been experimenting anyways. People get caught up on "fit" yet Flames have players like Raymond and Bollig lol.

Last edited:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Yeah, just looked at Byron's stat line.. 3 pts in 3 games, including 2 goals (both shortys) on 2 shots.. and even *gasp* scored on a breakaway!

:amazed: :sarcasm:

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
To be fair, he probably would've just shot them in to the goalies chest if he still played for us lol

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
In an interview today he said that the first time he skated with a puck was september 15th, due to his surgery. He said that not playing before the Edmonton game was great for him cause he had a lot of time to train and get back in game shape; watching the games from the pressbox helped him understand the Habs system and do visualisation.

So i guess the other teams in the league knew that and the Flames hope he would fly under the radar.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I understand WHY he was waived. Plenty of bottom 6 options, and Treliving clearly thought Byron would slip through. I just wish it didn't happen. I'd take him over Bollig/Raymond, possibly Jooris.

I think it was as much a financial decision as a hockey decision, if not more leaning towards the financial aspects. All other things being equal, I think many of us would agree that we'd keep Byron over Raymond 90% of the time.

Problem is the Flames seem reluctant to pay anyone a big salary in the minors (Kotalik, for example) and I get that - these guys don't get rich giving money away.

I won't compare Byron to Bollig simply because it's comparing apples to, uh, bigger apples, or oranges, or something. But they're a different class? category? of player in my mind. But still fringe players at most.

I also think that waiving a player can get rid of any built in complacency they might have - there are no guarantees Byron would have scored a single goal with the Flames had we kept him.

So good for Byron finding a landing spot in Montreal, and I do wish him continued success.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Did this guy just have no value that the Flames waived him instead of attempting to trade him? I can imagine teams giving up at least a 5th for him, he is so great on the PK and incredibly fast.

Arguably the best breakaway guy in the league this season too! (jk, I saw his fail montage) But seriously, he must have had at least some value.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Did this guy just have no value that the Flames waived him instead of attempting to trade him? I can imagine teams giving up at least a 5th for him, he is so great on the PK and incredibly fast.

Arguably the best breakaway guy in the league this season too! (jk, I saw his fail montage) But seriously, he must have had at least some value.

He had enough value that someone would take him for free, but not enough value that someone would offer a non-player asset for him.

You guys are making way too big of a deal out of this. It's Paul Byron ffs. Not some beleaguered star we chased out of town.
This.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He had enough value that someone would take him for free, but not enough value that someone would offer a non-player asset for him.

Interestingly, if the insiders are to be believed, he would've had not enough value to be claimed had it not been for the Kassian incident. His low point totals compared to his play last year really helped in that regard.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
If you guys repeat "byron was irrelevant, he had no value" hundreds more time, waiving him will magically become a smart move.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Interestingly, if the insiders are to be believed, he would've had not enough value to be claimed had it not been for the Kassian incident. His low point totals compared to his play last year really helped in that regard.

Well I think the insiders would be spot on. Montreal was 29th in waiver priority and had a full roster until Kassian was injured/suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad