Post-Game Talk: by the spirit of vanek..... (we lost)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You're seriously drunk if you think that was the worst game of the season. Plekanec played near 26 minutes vs the ducks, a game we won. Guess who was tasked with the burden of defensive zone coverage with Eller out of the lineup. I'll give you a hint it wasn't Deharnais. The team played three games in four nights plus the olympics. He is gassed. Simple as that. Move on.

He sucked against Anaheim too. Deal with it.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
One of the few games this year (well, after the first 10 games) where I feel we outplayed our opposition and lost. There's been way more of the opposite happening this season. Guess it kinda evens out us stealing points against anaheim.
Interesting. I personally thought they dominated the 2nd period but were absolutely dominated the other 2 periods which explains the score.

Budaj let a couple of soft ones in, but the D certainly didn't help him enough.

I'm pretty tired of seeing Habs D-men cycling the puck down low every time there is the least bit of pressure. They ended coughing the puck a few times and that resulted in goals against them.

A much better breakout would be to have a winger go up and the D-man in possession of the puck could clear up by knocking it on the boards so there's much less of a chance of it being intercepted by the opposition. That would possibly create some odd-numbered rushes. Whereas last year, the team was cultivating quick transitions, this year, it's all about taking your time and playing things safe. Though the team's position in the rankings hasn't suffered much, it's clear to me there's a world of a difference between then and now.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Interesting. I personally thought they dominated the 2nd period but were absolutely dominated the other 2 periods which explains the score.

I'm pretty tired of seeing Habs D-men cycling the puck down low every time there is the least bit of pressure. They ended coughing the puck a few times and that resulted in goals against them.

A much better breakout would be to have a winger go up and the D-man in possession of the puck could clear up by knocking it on the boards so there's much less of a chance of it being intercepted by the opposition. That would possibly create some odd-numbered rushes. Whereas last year, the team was cultivating quick transitions, this year, it's all about taking your time and playing things safe. Though the team's position in the rankings hasn't suffered much, it's clear to me there's a world of a difference between then and now.

Its funny how two people can watch the same game and come away with a different perspective.

I agree with you regarding getting outplayed with the exception of the 2nd.

I then disagree with you regarding our transition game and overall approach to the game.

The Habs need to be more patient with the puck than what they are now. Our D are firing long outlet passes even though there is not adequate support for the forward receiving the puck. Sure it looks good but when our forward is in a 2 on 4 situation, what's the point?

The better approach is to slow things down. I saw Vanek do it and then I saw Weaver do it. It was semi-funny to see the two new guys show signs of puck patience while the rest of the Habs team was running and gunning and losing possession.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I wonder if they should just straight up start pk on the left d and markov on the right. They always switch anyway. Vanek near the left circle with his righty shot could be a great cross pass option for markov.

Funny enough, this is one of the first real "strategy additions" I brought to the team I coached in Japan, and it blew their minds when I explained it to them (it definitely blew the other coaches minds that I could explain it to them in Japanese and convince them to teach it, lol). With the added open space, and forwards that have to be careful to stay between you (the puck) and the net, it just makes sense to start right off the bat with the ability for both defensemen to be a) shooting from the middle of the ice (off the faceoff, one timers, whatever, better angles all around), b) distribute the puck from the middle of the ice on their forehand, and c) be able to curl back and "walk the blueline" on their forehand if pinching/retrieving pucks and pressured by an aggressive penalty-killing forward. The fact that there's a RH shooting sniper sneaking around the left faceoff dot for a one-timer (Ovechkin style) is now just gravy on top, in terms of what could/should be possible.

The usual fears involved with playing defense while moving backwards on the "off side" are minimized with a bit of coaching. No matter what, just don't leave too much space to the outside, and make sure whoever is going to get back to help first (should be an extra man somewhere that is able to get back before long) is playing any move back to the middle all the way. Much easier to say when you're coaching Japanese junior high school students, haha. Have to get it straightened back out by ES again, though, because at that point it's back to a bigger advantage having defensemen able to curl behind the net and come out on the forehand able to hit the longest distance passes at the most possible angles with the most possible power and accuracy; which is the same for the neutral ice transition game, for the most part.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't understand why the team never attempts the backdoor pass. This was one of the plays that made the 08 PP deadly, if opposition over cover high, Habs went cross crease set ups. Guess no one on the team good enough to make Koivu-esque saucer passes.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't understand why the team never attempts the backdoor pass. This was one of the plays that made the 08 PP deadly, if opposition over cover high, Habs went cross crease set ups. Guess no one on the team good enough to make Koivu-esque saucer passes.

Briere can and has multiple times, actually. If there's one place he can be useful, it's there.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Also, there is nobody to one time Markov's cross ice one timer feeds to kovalev. What beauties those were.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Because whoever coaches the PP is a ****ing moron with no creativity whatsoever beyond riding two elite pointmen to the death. Whoever draws up the PP lines is also a moron(Therrien), sending out even strength units and in the past, sending out Bouillon to be a pointman.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Our breakout is the same this year as last. No support up the middle, everything is to the sides and up the boards. I paid attention to how Phoenix broke out. They have a passing option up the middle in which they can then skate the puck out of the zone. In addition, their passing was crisp and tape-to-tape.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Our breakout is the same this year as last. No support up the middle, everything is to the sides and up the boards. I paid attention to how Phoenix broke out. They have a passing option up the middle in which they can then skate the puck out of the zone. In addition, their passing was crisp and tape-to-tape.

Yup. Good eye.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Too logical. I wish there was a way to hide each posters ID and you pick who you thought posted a comment. It seems like the same people ALWAYS think the sky is falling even in a win and then have 'I told you so in a loss'. I honestly do not know what is worst. Certain posters constant whining and criticizing or those who think they can change that persons mind by logic. I disagree with some of MTs choices but we are winning more then we are losing. We should make the playoffs. If we have a 1st round match up like last year we are better prepared for it with our size and grit we added this year. But flame away those who disagree. Do not let the sunshine break through your black cloud. Plus I am counting down the days to our trip up vs brooins. Our 1st home game back from a road trip and against the hated ones..

Good post. But take my advice: Don't criticize posters here. Criticize and discuss Habs. You will be very unpopular very fast if all you do is criticize other posters here. Talk about Habs, not posters.

Posts about how stupid other posters here irritate the **** out of me, and a lot of others here, when we want to talk Habs. I do not want your opinion about me, I want your opinion on Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad