Post-Game Talk: by the spirit of vanek..... (we lost)

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Watching Tinordi play yesterday.. He will be very very very good. Has excellent mobility and he doesnt need to take a million strides to get to full speed. Can't wait for him to be a top pairing D-man along with Subban.

Top pairing? Maybe only if you split up your skills on two pairs, and
Tinordi get's Subban.
But I agree with you in general. He looks like he has a higher upside
than expected. And he might be at a point where he'll learn more by
staying in the NHL. And in any case, he is needed right now.
Still I hope he is on Hamilton's "clear day" roster. In case they go on
a long play-off run.

PricePkPatch*

Top pairing? Maybe only if you split up your skills on two pairs, and
Tinordi get's Subban.
But I agree with you in general. He looks like he has a higher upside
than expected. And he might be at a point where he'll learn more by
staying in the NHL. And in any case, he is needed right now.
Still I hope he is on Hamilton's "clear day" roster. In case they go on
a long play-off run.

Unless we have last change and the opposition is front-loaded in talent, I personally believe it's probably better to spread our talent between 2 pairings.

If we can make sure Subban can ride Crosby's ass all game long, then go for it. Otherwise, we can't make sure.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Unless we have last change and the opposition is front-loaded in talent, I personally believe it's probably better to spread our talent between 2 pairings.

If we can make sure Subban can ride Crosby's ass all game long, then go for it. Otherwise, we can't make sure.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I just think it makes more sense to
refer to Tinordi as top 4 in that scenario. However that's only semantics.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Tinordi needs to play. He needs experience. It's learning process. He's still 21 years old. For a 6'6" 215lbs defenseman he's only getting better.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
You are more interested in prospect playing in the NHL than winning I gather. Name the last Cup contender with four rookie dmen (counting Tinordi).....and after you've named one..name another. Pretty much an impossible task isn't it?

The most inexperienced D corp I remember winning a cup in the last
45 years, was in 1993. I think they only had two rookies. Brisebois and
Hill. Although maybe I should check about Schnieder.

On checking, Brisebois missed being a rookie by a couple of games. Hill was the only rookie D.
Schneider wasn't close.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
One of the few games this year (well, after the first 10 games) where I feel we outplayed our opposition and lost. There's been way more of the opposite happening this season. Guess it kinda evens out us stealing points against anaheim.

PricePkPatch*

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I just think it makes more sense to
refer to Tinordi as top 4 in that scenario. However that's only semantics.

I was agreeing with you as well, just building on it :D

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Habs PP really needs some new ideas. They're 1 for 13 in the 3 games on this road trip so far and that goal was on a 5 on 3 PP.

By my count since Dec 1st the Habs have now gone 18 for 118 on the PP which is 15.3%. They we're scoring close to 24% on the PP from the start of the season until Dec 1st so what changed?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The Habs PP really needs some new ideas. They're 1 for 13 in the 3 games on this road trip so far and that goal was on a 5 on 3 PP.

By my count since Dec 1st the Habs have now gone 18 for 118 on the PP which is 15.3%. They we're scoring close to 24% on the PP from the start of the season until Dec 1st so what changed?

People caught on to the strategy? Not so hard to break down and defend against 'EVERYBODY GET IT TO SUBBAN'.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
People caught on to the strategy? Not so hard to break down and defend against 'EVERYBODY GET IT TO SUBBAN'.

If so that's where the coaches need to adjust and change things up but unfortunately they don't seem to concerned which to be honest is a little concerning..

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

It really is just that now. There is no threat up front. Other teams don't even have to respect our forwards because they know it's going to Subban. They also know that DD will NOT shoot even if he is directly in the slot, he will look off to pass it back. So other teams just need to cover the points because there is rarely ever a creative attempt to do anything with our forwards on the PP.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't get this....sorry. He's not the best thing since beer but far from horrendous. In fact, I think he bring a different set of tools that we needed. Would we love him to be faster?sure but I'm fine with him playing 15-18 mins a game in a defensive role. Come PO time, he's going to be an asset.

Slightly too much, maybe. 12-15 minutes is his sweet spot, imo, but have no problem with odd games where he might end up with 15-18. Habs are 12W-4L when he plays 12-15 mins/game.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto

Yes. When have you seen a PP that gets so little from their Forwards.

If this team only had a right shooting finisher, that they could use regularly
on the PP. :naughty:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

And seriously, though, he's already set up as a RH shot on the left, so he doesn't even have to work a swap like PK does to get lined up for the one-timers.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

I wonder if they should just straight up start pk on the left d and markov on the right. They always switch anyway. Vanek near the left circle with his righty shot could be a great cross pass option for markov.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Your agenda does not match reality.

One goal was scored while The slow and horrible Murray was on the ice. Two goals were score while the ultra fast Norris winning Subban was on the ice. Now what's the excuse/reason for that?

This team missed Gorges last night. He is a prolific shot blocker. Blocked shots don't end up in the goal.

I have no agenda. The guy sucks, that's it.
I couldn't care less how many goals he was on the ice for, even if he were on there for 5 goals, you cannot blame one player for every goal scored on, just like someone can have an assist while sitting on the bench.

The guy is always stuck in his zone and the rest of the players on the ice suffer from it. Every time Murray is on the ice, there is very, very, little sustained offensive pressure.
When the two qualities you can come up with for a player is ''block shots'' and ''physical'', then you're describing a pretty bad Dman.

Gorges does more than just block shots.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I wonder if they should just straight up start pk on the left d and markov on the right. They always switch anyway. Vanek near the left circle with his righty shot could be a great cross pass option for markov.

I think they do it because it's sometimes easier to retain possession on the
fore-check, or even scrambled draws. Then with good possession they change.
How they time the change can also make things awkward for the PKers, but
that seems minor.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I have no agenda. The guy sucks, that's it.
I couldn't care less how many goals he was on the ice for, even if he were on there for 5 goals, you cannot blame one player for every goal scored on, just like someone can have an assist while sitting on the bench.

The guy is always stuck in his zone and the rest of the players on the ice suffer from it. Every time Murray is on the ice, there is very, very, little sustained offensive pressure.
When the two qualities you can come up with for a player is ''block shots'' and ''physical'', then you're describing a pretty bad Dman.

Gorges does more than just block shots.

Murray sucks because he was on the ice for a goal

Subban does not suck defensively and you can't blame him because there are 4 other players on the ice.

And goals given up or prevented does not matter because Murray sucks.

Did I get it right?

Maybe we can petition the NHL to start awarding wins and losses on style points like they do in figure skating.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Murray sucks because he was on the ice for a goal

Subban does not suck defensively and you can't blame him because there are 4 other players on the ice.

And goals given up or prevented does not matter because Murray sucks.

Did I get it right?

Maybe we can petition the NHL to start awarding wins and losses on style points like they do in figure skating.

Not even close. But hey Murray is big and strong, so he's awesome.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Has to be the worst game of the season.

Plekanec seemed to have gone on a drunken trip since they left for Montreal. He played crap against the Ducks and Yotes, creating turnovers after turnovers. Something is really wrong with him.

I saw two teams playing on a different level, Habs looked like Bantams, Phoenix played like men as far as structure and intensity.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Has to be the worst game of the season.

Plekanec seemed to have gone on a drunken trip since they left for Montreal. He played crap against the Ducks and Yotes, creating turnovers after turnovers. Something is really wrong with him.

I saw two teams playing on a different level, Habs looked like Bantams, Phoenix played like men as far as structure and intensity.

You're seriously drunk if you think that was the worst game of the season. Plekanec played near 26 minutes vs the ducks, a game we won. Guess who was tasked with the burden of defensive zone coverage with Eller out of the lineup. I'll give you a hint it wasn't Deharnais. The team played three games in four nights plus the olympics. He is gassed. Simple as that. Move on.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

I thought the strategy of Subban breaking 3 ankles before banging it in was a solid plan :laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad